The Student Room Group

Living Costs Imperial College of London

Scroll to see replies

The possibility of an MBA has come up in this thread. Can I ask, are any of you seriously going to do an MBA if you've done a masters in Finance?? I figured it would just be a waste of money (not a total waste, but hopefully you get what I mean) if you get the job you want then do an MBA.
I know not every one doesnt want to be a trader like me, but part of the amazing thing with IB in general it that if your making Mitsubishi UJF £100million a year trading emerging markets, Goldman Sachs arent going to be bothered where you come from cos you'd trade the same products, just at a different bank (still making them the money of course). Possibly same with CorpFin. I think people dont realise that there are sooo many people who get scouted from lesser banks (relatively lesser) e.g. SocGen to go work for these places. Yes, an MBA will get you an interview, but if you are genuinely worth your salt, then you can prove it by doing the work.

I will just say, I'm lumping myself in with these comments, I'm just getting my thoughts out there :smile:
Reply 21
but it is hard to move high up without it, atleast most people i know that are high hold a MBA from a good university. Masters in finance is no way a substitute at all unless if it is from LBS or something that requires experience.
Original post by Ineedaplace
I am thinking of firming Msc finance in Imperial. The syllabus looks amazing. I wnat to live near in order of preference:

Library with wifi

Gym

Lecture halls

Supermarket.

But i only wnat to spend 4000 on accomdation....

Peaches you taking the warwick shcolarship? or you goin imperial?

Who knows. If i'd not got the warwick thingm then I may have been imperial without a thought, but the expense really comes into it.

With regards to the MBA. I still feel that if you are constantly bringing in good deals for the bank you work for, then you shouldnt have a problem going for higher psoitions, but I do know what ou mean cos quite a few people I've seen do have MBA's.

May I ask the firm you work for? You've said your in CorpFin. PM if you like, I just wanna see if they offer internships
Original post by rgarnham
I attended Queen Mary, University of London and my living costs were about £150-170 per week (about £8000 per year). Attending a uni in central London means you either have to pay more for accommodation or more for travel (which can get pricey in London). You can easily get by with less than £10000 a year, but that might mean making serious cutbacks to your lifestyle.

My advice is to avoid the university accommodation because the central London unis are notorious for charging high prices.

As to Borisvian I think that it is obscene to ask £36000 from your parents for living costs. What exactly are you planning to spend so much money on?

What an obscene question! It would be spent on Foie Gras, Bollinger and the likes, Sir!
Original post by prospectivEEconomist
What an obscene question! It would be spent on Foie Gras, Bollinger and the likes, Sir!

Thats funny :smile:
Reply 25
I dont understand how you are planning to spend so much on living expenses?

im hopefully moving to london next year for uni but im going to be living there full time and planning on spending 8000 for the full 12 month year. and to the best of my knowledge this is plausible if your smart with budgeting money. i have found places to live with friends for 350 to 450 a month. not a rediculous distance from the central uni's either. obviously travel expenses as well as food and bills etc etc etc etc but ive taken them into account

ive lived by myself since i was 16 and have lived off of 4000 a year (although not in london) but i still dont really see myself struggling off the the 8/9 grand maintenance loan/grant i would be getting..

just dont let people rip you off, look around for places
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
It'll cost a lot, but an Imperial degree is worth it and you'll recoup your expendure within years of working. Imperial is a target university for many employers including those working at CERN or in IB so it's all worth it.
Reply 27
Hi. I'm *kind of* deciding between Imperial, Warwick and UCL for undergraduate math. Why is the international students' tuition for Imperial so much more expensive than that of other schools? ):

Quick Reply

Latest