The Student Room Group

Single swollen lymph node on neck :(

Anon or delete please

i have a swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck, it has been there for about 7 months. in that time it has gotten maybe a tiny bit bigger but not very much, but it is definitely fuller than the same node on the opposite side. i dont have any other symptoms or anything and im not ill at the moment. i havent lost any weight.

i know that the standard answer is "go to your doctor and find out" but i was wondering if someone could give me an idea of how likely this is to be anything? if it was lymphoma would it have gotten a lot bigger by now? would i have other symptoms by now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Anon or delete please

i have a swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck, it has been there for about 7 months. in that time it has gotten maybe a tiny bit bigger but not very much, but it is definitely fuller than the same node on the opposite side. i dont have any other symptoms or anything and im not ill at the moment. i havent lost any weight.

i know that the standard answer is "go to your doctor and find out" but i was wondering if someone could give me an idea of how likely this is to be anything? if it was lymphoma would it have gotten a lot bigger by now? would i have other symptoms by now?

so go to your doctor? simple...
it could be bad, or it could be something minor which they can also fix...
Reply 2
It could be something minor such as an infection, but you can't be too careful with these things, so I'd pay the Dr a visit if I were you.
Reply 3
Original post by RadioHawk
so go to your doctor? simple...
it could be bad, or it could be something minor which they can also fix...

like i said im asking for likelihoods/risks, i just want to know if this is a "wow dude, there's a high chance that's lymphoma" or a "probably not based on what you've said but needs to be checked out just in case" situation

i mean do people ever get a node that stays enlarged forever for just no reason?
Reply 4
Anon or delete please

Seriously, don't sweat it. Lymphoma is usually quite aggressive, so if it's been 7 months with no change, I highly doubt it's Lymphoma.
Here are the symptoms:

Weight loss
Weight loss usually occurs rapidly for no known reason. Often an individual can lose ten to fifteen pounds over a couple of months.

Fever
Fever that is continuous or occurs intermittently over a period of time and doesn't seem related to a chest or urinary infection is a good sign that you should consult a doctor. Fever that is related to node swellings occurs commonly with infections, and many lymphomas are often mistaken for infections at the early stage. Occasionally, in those affected by Hodgkin lymphoma, a characteristic fever called Pel-Ebstein fever occurs.

Excessive sweating at night
This unique situation may be quite bothersome. You may wake up at night drenched in sweat without any apparent reason.
Itchiness all over your body
Another unique situation, full-body itching is related to the secretion of some special chemicals from the lymphoma cells.

Loss of appetite
As lymphomas spread within your body and grow in size, many individuals feel a considerable loss in their appetite, further accelerating weight loss. Weight loss of more than 10% is one of the B-symptoms of lymphoma.

A feeling of weakness
As cancer cells are always growing, they use up more of the body's nutrients, leaving the body with less. This makes you feel weaker.
Breathlessness along with swelling of the face and neck
Rarely, when a lymphoma in the neck or chest grows very large, it may block the flow of some vessels and lead to a swelling of the face and neck along with a feeling of breathlessness.

As lymphomas can occur in any organ, may give rise to some unusual symptoms as well. A lymphoma in the stomach can cause pain in the abdomen, and a lymphoma in the brain can cause headaches or leg weakness.
I was suspected of having exactly this about a month ago by my GP. It's now been diagnosed as a low-grade malignant parotid tumour. GO TO THE DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY.
Reply 6
Original post by pugnacitas
I was suspected of having exactly this about a month ago by my GP. It's now been diagnosed as a low-grade malignant parotid tumour. GO TO THE DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY.

i have a doctors appointment this week, i just want to know what the "chances" are here, if we are talking very low chance or very high, because someone who is education in this area of medicine should know this

also this is not in my parotid it is along my neck, but i wish you well with your treatment!

i dont think it has changed very much in the last 7 months, if at all, and it is probably about 1.5cm long, smooth, squidgy, mobile and non-tender

but it is definitely noticeably bigger than the one on the opposite side, that one you have to dig for, this one you can feel as soon as you touch my neck

and no i have had no fever, weight loss, fatigue, night sweats or any of that
the lymph nodes in my neck (submandibular really to be precise) have been enlarged for as long as I can remember... for me it's normal (and the right is larger)

the doctor will want to know if there was anything that precipitated it's arrival... sure it's even a lymph node?
Reply 8
Original post by rainbowbex
the lymph nodes in my neck (submandibular really to be precise) have been enlarged for as long as I can remember... for me it's normal (and the right is larger)

the doctor will want to know if there was anything that precipitated it's arrival... sure it's even a lymph node?

100% sure, and it feels exactly like the node on the opposite side just as if it's been pumped up a little bigger, it's quite thin, maybe 0.5cm, but it's about 1-1.5cm long, completely movable and smooth and very squishy

i know those things are plus points, but im not kidding when i say that its noticably bigger than the opposite side, there is no question it is enlarged and it has been enlarged for at least 7 months now

i just want someone who has knowledge of these things to give me an honest opinion as to what the likelihood is of this being lymphoma

because we all know if i had said i had a node getting bigger every day that is firm and fixed and i have terrible night sweats and a fever that there'd be seriously high chance, so i am wondering what my chance is
i have a doctors appointment this week, i just want to know what the "chances" are here, if we are talking very low chance or very high, because someone who is education in this area of medicine should know this

also this is not in my parotid it is along my neck, but i wish you well with your treatment!

i dont think it has changed very much in the last 7 months, if at all, and it is probably about 1.5cm long, smooth, squidgy, mobile and non-tender

but it is definitely noticeably bigger than the one on the opposite side, that one you have to dig for, this one you can feel as soon as you touch my neck

and no i have had no fever, weight loss, fatigue, night sweats or any of that

Here's what happened to me:

Felt hard lump under skin. Not visible. Made GP appointment.

Initial GP appointment. Prescribed some antibiotics. Given another appointment to check progress next week.

Antibiotics had no effect. Referred to ENT consultant at hospital.

ENT consultant feels lump. Makes ultrasonic scan and fine needle aspiration appointment.

Scan and fine needle aspiration performed. Doctor says there's a 95% chance of it not being malign.

Another appointment to see ENT consultant arrives the next week. A cancer support nurse/counsellor is in the room this time. Told it is slightly malign, so hopefully should just require removal. CT scan booked. Support nurse now phones randomly.

Had CT scan yesterday. The operator said it was scanning my chest/lungs which is slightly concerning me atm...

MRI scan due in a few days...

Operation for removal due early March.

BTW I didn't/don't have any symptoms either.
(edited 13 years ago)
My node is noticably bigger on my left side...always has been. I think your a bit of a hypochondriac
Reply 11
I had a lump on my neck not long ago. I got prescribed a week's worth of flucloxacillin, and after that it just vanished. No more problems. :smile:
Reply 12
Here's what happened to me:

Felt hard lump under skin. Not visible. Made GP appointment.

can i ask how big it was? how long you had it, and whether or not it changed in size?

scaring the **** out of me now
can i ask how big it was? how long you had it, and whether or not it changed in size?

scaring the **** out of me now

Apparently it's about 3cm according to the scan, but I can only feel a small part of it. It kind of feels like that hard part in front of your earlobes. I think it could be slowly increasing in size.

It's so easy to self diagnose yourself with anything on the internet. Even the consultants were surprised. The only way to know for sure is to go through the process of scans/tests.
Anon or delete please

Swollen lymph nodes are pretty common, but I'm not sure why yours lasts that long. I had one that lasted for about a month.

Normally, though, it's caused by an infection - sometimes ear, mouth, throat...acne can cause it too, if you have a developed stage of it.

Visit the GP and he'll be able to tell you for sure! Make sure and let him know how it feels, e.g. tender to the touch or otherwise, whether it moves around and anything else you think might be important.

If he thinks it necessary, he can prescribe antibiotics for a week or two to see if it improves.
You can also get a regular blood test to check for any malignancy - that would normally rule out lymphoma.
Then depending on if the antibiotics work or not, you could get referred to a haematologist and then on his recommendation, if it still can't be determined, biopsy.

Simple answer - get it checked :smile:
Reply 15
Apparently it's about 3cm according to the scan, but I can only feel a small part of it. It kind of feels like that hard part in front of your earlobes. I think it could be slowly increasing in size.

It's so easy to self diagnose yourself with anything on the internet. Even the consultants were surprised. The only way to know for sure is to go through the process of scans/tests.

the fact that it was hard and 3cm i guess was a big pointer to it being dodgy

i can feel of this node, its a classic anterior triangle lymph node, and it's probably... 1.5 with my neck stretched and less than a cm when i am leaning into it, plus very squidgey and mobile

still, i know these a plus points for it being nothing, but... single enlarged lymph node... more than 6 months... i am early 20s so the right age for lymphoma... :frown: :frown: :frown:
i know its scary when a lymph node pops up but most of the time it's just a minor infection. If more pop up speak to your doctor for peace of mind, I've had one for ages that goes up and down and mine said it was harmless.
Reply 17
I've had an enlarged lymph node behind my ear and another one on the back of my head for almost 2 years now. As well as two under my jaw (but I think everyone can feel those). All are semi-squishy/semi-hard. Doctors have told me they are absolutey nothing to worry about. And I have symptoms.

'They are tiny' they say. They feel big to me, but in the grand scheme of lymph nodes - 1-1.5cm is nothing.

Cancerous lymph nodes are more likely to be hard. And they usually grow more than 'maybe a tiny bit' in seven months. The fact that you have no other symptoms/no weight loss points to a positive conclusion.

So relax. I'm sure it's nothing. You probably had a little infection somewhere in body and it's decided to stay up to taunt you.

Saying that - DO make sure you keep your appointment with the Dr. Better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Thanks for the above post, I guess we are in the same boat! it seems almost random whether an enlarged node is cancerous or not..

i just got some blood test results back, everything was normal apart from albumin which was 51 (50 being the upper limit of normal but i couldnt find anything on raised albumin and that sounds like its not very significant anyway)

when you guys say you have a node on one side bigger than the other, are we talking "hmm well I kinda think its bigger" or "yes it is very clearly larger on one side than the other", because mine really is about 2x the volume of the node opposite..
Reply 19
also i have to say that nodes behind your ear etc. are really not indicative of anything but a single node like mine, in the anterior triangle, is literally the textbook lymphoma location :frown:

Latest