Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help...
    ive done a C.V. but its looking kind of empty and short so i was wondering whether there is a site online that has C.V. Templates?

Thanks in advance!!!

ReputationRep:
    If you have Microsoft Word, then there is a CV wizard on it, that might help?

ReputationRep:
    yer the ones on there are a tad too professional , im looking for one that i can give into sainsburys has i aint done much and this will be my first job if i get it...

ReputationRep:
    Or try some of the graduate websites such as www.prospects.ac.uk , they usually have good, basic CV advice...

ReputationRep:
    "http://www.careers.ox.ac.uk/homepage/appsandints/applications/cvsandcls" lots of good advice at the Oxford university careers site with a couple of handy examples that you can purloin.

Otherwise, I would advise using TSR itself as there are tons of similar threads to your own with links for good CV templates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshPixie)
    "http://www.careers.ox.ac.uk/homepage/appsandints/applications/cvsandcls" lots of good advice at the Oxford university careers site with a couple of handy examples that you can purloin.

Otherwise, I would advise using TSR itself as there are tons of similar threads to your own with links for good CV templates
    You need to be registered with the careers service to access that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Number14)
    yer the ones on there are a tad too professional , im looking for one that i can give into sainsburys has i aint done much and this will be my first job if i get it...
    I'd imagine they'd require an appilcation form rather than a C.V.

ReputationRep:
    I used to work for sainsburys when I was 15. They only need an application form, not a cv. Just go into store and pick one up or do what I did and fill it in online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    You need to be registered with the careers service to access that...
    Oh I thought you only needed to be register to look at the vacancies... must have a cookie on my computer that logs me in automatically without realising. Oops. There really is no such thing as a free lunch then...

ReputationRep:
    Me too - I deleted all my cookies and could no longer access it - you get this page:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    When I wrote my CV for my gap year job, I had a book with me that I bought 2 years ago called 'Readymade CVs: Sample CVs for Every Type of Job, By Lynn Williams'. It's £7.19. I liked that book a lot, as it provides tips on writing a CV for certain jobs, templates, sample CVs, what to write in each section of the CV, words/sentences you could put in particular sections of the CV, etc... http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...660134-8771036

If you don't want to spend that much, you could have a basic CV with the following layout in the attachment in my post.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc template CV.doc (27.5 KB, 154 views)

ReputationRep:
    Yuk that CV format is truely horrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Yuk that CV format is truely horrible.

I used that format for my CV. I got a gap year admin job in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)

I used that format for my CV. I got a gap year admin job in the end.
    :eek: sorry didn't realise but its just so bland and a template format. my careers advisor says that a recruiter makes their mind up about you in the first 30 seconds of seeing your CV. It needs to jump off the page if its the same as everyone elses they are just not even bother to read it properly. Avoiding using a template is the best approach I think.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely agree viviki. The best CVs are the ones where you take some time to design the format yourself. Make sure you have your name in huge bold text at the top. Best to fit everything on one page if possible (unless you have had too much work exp..) I have 3 paid jobs and 4 volunteer jobs as well as my entire education, acheivements, and interests on the single page. Try to make the most of all possible space - extend the borders on the sides and top and bottom. For the axtra professional touch (if you're emailing the CV) then convert it to PDF form.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.