Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On some of the other threads, people have mentioned that some universities (such as Durham) now have some kind of GCSE screening process, where for the competitive courses such as Law and English they reject applicants who don't have a set number of A*s. I know a lot of rumours go around about these things so I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this? Surely they'd have to at least *look* at the rest of your application though? I'm a bit worried because although my GCSEs were good, they weren't 6A*s+ and there's a sentence in my reference explaining this was partly due to illness - I was hoping they'd bother to read this before rejecting me outright - although they probably would anyway

sorry to add to the numbers of paranoid posts but if anyone knows anything about this I'd be interested, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, well I think there's a Durham rejection headed my way.

At the time I thought my GCSEs were good, but now I don't think they are (4A*s, 4As, 3Bs. eeek)

ReputationRep:
    If they do, it's incredibly stupid. People generally don't work as well for their GCSEs as for their AS and A-Levels (GENERALLY!) and often people (especially boys) bloom later, as it were. If they reject you because your GCSEs aren't a certain number of A*s that's incredibly narrowminded and not very helpful for them, either.
    I reckon they would look through your application and take account of your illness. You'll be fine anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chester)
    Oh dear, well I think there's a Durham rejection headed my way.

At the time I thought my GCSEs were good, but now I don't think they are (4A*s, 4As, 3Bs. eeek)
    You've got fairly similar results to me (5A*s, 3As, 1C). 4A*s, 4As and 3 Bs are great results - and you've taken 11 (I only took 9 in the end cos of the illness) which shows you had more work on your plate. They *are* good results, I'm sure you'll be fine, don't worry! I'm just worried because if they don't like my GCSE grades, I don't think my AS's and PS are good enough to pull me through anyway - plus my French teacher mentioned my 'anxiety and inhibition' which probably sealed the lid of my coffin

supercat: That's very true, I totally agree (hope the admin people do too ) I hope so, but I have to say now that my referee hasn't mentioned the fact that my illness was physical and my French teacher has said I underachieved due to anxiety and inhibition it may just look like I'm a basket case

I was also wondering if anyone knew whether they take into account what subjects your GCSEs were in? (I know no-one on here is an admissions tutor, but some members have spoken to admissions tutors!)

ah well I suppose all we can do is wait and see... *prays for a York offer*

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it's just one of those rumours. I know universities like Durham have a lot of very good applicants, especially for competitive subjects like English, and they need some way to choose between them, but I doubt they just look at your GCSE grades and chuck your application in the bin if you have less than 6 A*s! For one thing, there'd be uproar if they did and the media found out because firstly, it means they don't take into account circumstances like illness that are mentioned in the reference, and secondly, it doesn't take into account the kind of school you went to. Apart from that, as mentioned above, a lot of people do far better at A-level than at GCSE and it would be unfair to reject someone who looked like a very strong candidate just because they hadn't realised at the age of 14-16 how important their grades were. 5 A*s, 3 As and 1 C are fantastic results anyway, but combined with the fact that you were ill, you got AAAB at AS including full marks in the subject you want to study, 2 other very high As and a B that was practically an A and you have a superb personal statement and reference with only one slightly negative comment, you really shouldn't be worrying!

ReputationRep:
    i dont think thats entirely true!

ReputationRep:
    :p: didnt durham design ALIS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    :p: didnt durham design ALIS?
    ALIS?

ReputationRep:
    You know that useless program you take part in 6th forms/colleges. It predicts your A levels based on GCSE results.

edit: yes it is them, they seem to have a thing for GCSE's http://www.alisproject.org/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I'm pretty sure it's just one of those rumours. I know universities like Durham have a lot of very good applicants, especially for competitive subjects like English, and they need some way to choose between them, but I doubt they just look at your GCSE grades and chuck your application in the bin if you have less than 6 A*s! For one thing, there'd be uproar if they did and the media found out because firstly, it means they don't take into account circumstances like illness that are mentioned in the reference, and secondly, it doesn't take into account the kind of school you went to. Apart from that, as mentioned above, a lot of people do far better at A-level than at GCSE and it would be unfair to reject someone who looked like a very strong candidate just because they hadn't realised at the age of 14-16 how important their grades were. 5 A*s, 3 As and 1 C are fantastic results anyway, but combined with the fact that you were ill, you got AAAB at AS including full marks in the subject you want to study, 2 other very high As and a B that was practically an A and you have a superb personal statement and reference with only one slightly negative comment, you really shouldn't be worrying!
    It would be quite a silly way of doing things! Especially because, as you say, there are so many reasons someone could have done badly in their GCSEs other than just a lack of ability! Well I'm nothing like as worried as I was (although it may not show right now...hehe!) because of the East Anglia thing. I still really really want a York offer though, so I remain a bit stressed. My personal statement was actually fairly lousy though I have to say :p: Thanks as ever for the reassurance though Looks like I'll have to exercise some patience - probably won't hear from the others until after I've got my Cambridge rejection!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    You know that useless program you take part in 6th forms/colleges. It predicts your A levels based on GCSE results.

edit: yes it is them, they seem to have a thing for GCSE's http://www.alisproject.org/
    Yeh they do all those kinds of tests.

ReputationRep:
    That ALIS test is so ridiculous, from it I was predicted CCDD for my AS and I came out with BBBB.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that is true Bethany so I wouldn't worry. But if it did happen, would you even want to go to a place that did that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lady-flash)
    That ALIS test is so ridiculous, from it I was predicted CCDD for my AS and I came out with BBBB.
    How did you work it out? I did the extended questionnaire thinking it was what would end up giving me predictions but it wasn't
    --------------
    (Original post by sexysax)
    I don't think that is true Bethany so I wouldn't worry. But if it did happen, would you even want to go to a place that did that?
    You make a very good point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    It would be quite a silly way of doing things! Especially because, as you say, there are so many reasons someone could have done badly in their GCSEs other than just a lack of ability! Well I'm nothing like as worried as I was (although it may not show right now...hehe!) because of the East Anglia thing. I still really really want a York offer though, so I remain a bit stressed. My personal statement was actually fairly lousy though I have to say :p: Thanks as ever for the reassurance though Looks like I'll have to exercise some patience - probably won't hear from the others until after I've got my Cambridge rejection!
    I'm sure it wasn't! I know what you mean about patience though- Sheffield sent me that email over a week ago now but still haven't given me an offer/rejection. I've heard nothing at all from Bristol, Durham or Exeter, even though some people on TSR now have confirmation letters from Durham and some have languages offers from Sheffield, Bristol and Exeter. And I wouldn't be so sure about the Cambridge rejection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I'm sure it wasn't! I know what you mean about patience though- Sheffield sent me that email over a week ago now but still haven't given me an offer/rejection. I've heard nothing at all from Bristol, Durham or Exeter, even though some people on TSR now have confirmation letters from Durham and some have languages offers from Sheffield, Bristol and Exeter. And I wouldn't be so sure about the Cambridge rejection
    I never did send it to you did I - I'll have to remember sometime to prove how bad it is lol! That's annoying, those slowbos - I'm sure they'll send you your offer soon I expect it's because they're doing things in batches - the people who heard sooner seem to be the people who sent their applications the earliest. e.g. with the Durham confirmations, really early people got them earlier last week, I got mine yesterday and my friend's hasn't come yet (she applied just after the Oxbridge deadline). I have to keep reminding myself that hearing nothing is often a good sign, considering some people have been getting rejections for English already! I know a fair few people with York offers but none of them are for English or English and History. & Edinburgh haven't actually confirmed applications yet! haha, well I would - if I get an interview, I have about 3 weeks left - more to read than I can possibly get through yet here I am on TSR... Yep I think they'll be rejecting me :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    I never did send it to you did I - I'll have to remember sometime to prove how bad it is lol! That's annoying, those slowbos - I'm sure they'll send you your offer soon I expect it's because they're doing things in batches - the people who heard sooner seem to be the people who sent their applications the earliest. e.g. with the Durham confirmations, really early people got them earlier last week, I got mine yesterday and my friend's hasn't come yet (she applied just after the Oxbridge deadline). I have to keep reminding myself that hearing nothing is often a good sign, considering some people have been getting rejections for English already! I know a fair few people with York offers but none of them are for English or English and History. & Edinburgh haven't actually confirmed applications yet! haha, well I would - if I get an interview, I have about 3 weeks left - more to read than I can possibly get through yet here I am on TSR... Yep I think they'll be rejecting me :p:
    I should hopefully get mine fairly soon then- my application was sent on the 13th October. Yeah, that's true- I'd rather hear nothing for a while than get a rejection! 'If' you get an interview- Cambridge interview practically everyone, so with predictions of AAAA, I think we can safely say you 'will' have an interview! I know what you mean though- I still have loads to read and Sidney start their interviews on the 5th December, although I'm not sure exactly when the languages ones are, yet here I am :p: Damn this addictive site and my lack of willpower!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.