Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Quick story, I'm on my gap year and reapplying to uni. My A level grades from last year are AAC, but I'm resitting the C that I got in Chemistry. Should I address the fact that I'm doing these exams in January in my personal statement or should I not dwell on the issue?

They'll know anyway from the qualifications part of the UCAS form but I could use the exams to explain why I'm only getting a temporary job over christmas and the like.

What do you lot reckon?

ReputationRep:
    I think that the resit would be better mentioned in your reference rather than in your personal statement. Have a word with your referee about it.

ReputationRep:
    What are you applying for? If you're applying for anything chemistry related, mention briefly your interest in the subject and say you are resitting in the hope of improving last year's grade. If you're not applying for anything chemistry related and just need more than a C to get an offer, don't mention it at all. They will know you are resitting.

The trick is not to include anything which could be construed as negative. You'll need to mention what you are doing in your gap year. Having one job could therefore be, "I am currently working full-time to gain valuable work experience and finance my university studies", whereas doing a different thing every few months could be, "I taking the opportunity to pursue a number of different interests, such as.......and gain work experience in several different areas."

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for replying you two!

I'm applying for human sciences/biology, neither of which specifically requires chemistry. So there will be an element of biochemistry which I thought about addressing by saying that I had Chemistry A level. However I'm a bit worried that if I mention it at all, universities will automatically ask me for a higher Chemistry grade. Obviously I'm aiming for a higher grade anyway, but it might not happen...

I'll be doing various things over the ten months but working full time might seriously affect my January exam performance so I'll only be working part time. I suppose this will all come out at interview though, so I doubt i'll mention it and I don't mind if my referree does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skd180)
    Cheers for replying you two!

I'm applying for human sciences/biology, neither of which specifically requires chemistry. So there will be an element of biochemistry which I thought about addressing by saying that I had Chemistry A level. However I'm a bit worried that if I mention it at all, universities will automatically ask me for a higher Chemistry grade. Obviously I'm aiming for a higher grade anyway, but it might not happen...

I'll be doing various things over the ten months but working full time might seriously affect my January exam performance so I'll only be working part time. I suppose this will all come out at interview though, so I doubt i'll mention it and I don't mind if my referree does.
    I agree with the people above, don't mention it, it will be in "to take" section anyway. You can always phone UCAS when you get your grades if you haven't heard from all your unis yet.

Where you applying? I'm doing Human Sciences :top:

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.