This discussion is closed.
fabsuk
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi, im in a predicament at the moment, i dont know quite which of these unis to go to. I also have imperial but i dont want to go there as it is mostly oriental, you will have to work really hard and there is a 20 to 1 boy to girl ratio. However if you are into ur subject and would like to reap the rewards afterwards then it is the perfect place for you.That is definately a good uni have on your cv. But im not interested in commiting social suicide(sorry imperial). So i need to know whether to go to these other unis. Im really a london boy but go to a boarding school and not sure if i want to be around these sort of types for the rest of my life. Most people i know go to newcastle,exeter,durham,edinburg h, or oxford brookes if they are dumb. I need a city and i heard edinburgh is fun but im not sure it is international and i dont want to feel isolated. Money is not a problem, i just want to be happy and need some advice. Im teetering to kings over ucl as it seems the people there are from a good background on the whole where as ucl doesnt really seem to me as people who go there are actually from london but mostly india and state school. Kings seems to attract the whole london day school people as well as international student from europe. So i need some honest advice .thanks
FunkyTeenAngel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
kings is mytop choice. i liked the atmosphere. but i thught it was more "asian" than UCL
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They are all very good universities. I wouldn't go to Imperial - it was originally near the top of my list, but after finding more about it I relegated it to bottom!

Edinburgh is one of the ancient universities of the UK and is quite traditional and posh. It is however in Scotland - that may make a difference to you. It does have an international reputation.

UCL, one of the oldest in England, has a better reputation than King's. It is in London, as you know, and if you were to choose a London university then choose UCL.

Out of your three, I would probably choose Edinburgh.

J.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fabsuk)
Hi, im in a predicament at the moment, i dont know quite which of these unis to go to. I also have imperial but i dont want to go there as it is mostly oriental, you will have to work really hard and there is a 20 to 1 boy to girl ratio. However if you are into ur subject and would like to reap the rewards afterwards then it is the perfect place for you.That is definately a good uni have on your cv. But im not interested in commiting social suicide(sorry imperial). So i need to know whether to go to these other unis. Im really a london boy but go to a boarding school and not sure if i want to be around these sort of types for the rest of my life. Most people i know go to newcastle,exeter,durham,edinburg h, or oxford brookes if they are dumb. I need a city and i heard edinburgh is fun but im not sure it is international and i dont want to feel isolated. Money is not a problem, i just want to be happy and need some advice. Im teetering to kings over ucl as it seems the people there are from a good background on the whole where as ucl doesnt really seem to me as people who go there are actually from london but mostly india and state school. Kings seems to attract the whole london day school people as well as international student from europe. So i need some honest advice .thanks
i don't think u'd feel isolated at edinburgh uni, theres tons of english students there. Alot of rahs as well.Edinburgh's really good fun with the festivil and everything. Edinburgh is the centre for international students in scotland at least.
magicalsausage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well I am an Edinburger so perhaps I am slightly biased but there are lots of advantages to coming to Edinburgh Uni:

It is a cheaper place to live than London (though still not very cheap, it is has second highest cost of living in the UK)
The festival would be a great bonus, but it's all finished by the time term starts (though if you were renting then it would be cool)
If you want to get Halls of Residence then you have a better chance than at the London places (I read that you're only guaranteed accomadation at UCL if it is your firm acceptance)
Edinburgh really is a nice place to live - compact but with lots of stuff to do
As iiikewldude mentioned, there are lots of English people at Edinburgh Uni (Scottish students make up a minority of the student body!)

But then again, if you want to live in a really big city then Edinburgh might seem a bit small, and it is windy and cold and rainy quite a lot (you learn to love the cold though).
fabsuk
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
the thing is, i dont know what i want. I like london as the nightlife is great if you go to the right places and i do. But what i do notice is that it is not very studenty at all. I went to bristol and had an open mind but i thought it was an absolute dump. The river seven bridge is nice but nothing else,the students tried to make out that u will have a really good time but i knew i would stick out like a sore thumb. what is the population of rugger buggers at edinburgh and is it very sports emphasiesed like a boarding school as that is not what i want. Is it fun, is the nightlife good, are there things to do honestly,as i heard at durham life can be very dull,they just go to the pub and wish they were in newcastle. more info would be great
dazmanultra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There are some excellent "student only" nights in London, like Vodka Nation (Wednesdays) at the Ministry of Sound with cheap drinks and cheap entry. I'm loving it!

(I'm at King's, btw)
magicalsausage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the thing is, i dont know what i want. I like london as the nightlife is great if you go to the right places and i do. But what i do notice is that it is not very studenty at all. I went to bristol and had an open mind but i thought it was an absolute dump. The river seven bridge is nice but nothing else,the students tried to make out that u will have a really good time but i knew i would stick out like a sore thumb. what is the population of rugger buggers at edinburgh and is it very sports emphasiesed like a boarding school as that is not what i want. Is it fun, is the nightlife good, are there things to do honestly,as i heard at durham life can be very dull,they just go to the pub and wish they were in newcastle. more info would be great
I know people who have felt exactly the same after Bristol open days. Edinburgh is good for nightlife (or so I'm told) and there really isn't any more Yahs than either of the London places I would imagine. There is a lot to do in Edinburgh, but most of the big bands go to Glasgow when they play Scotland, but it's only a short train ride away so it isn't really a problem. Edinburgh is much bigger than Durham, so you don't need to worry about having things to do. I don't go to the University myself so I can't really comment on how sports-orientated it is but nobody I know who studies there has ever complained about it. Edinburgh is very studenty and so there are a lot of student hangouts, particularly around the centre of the University, and most of the University buildings are very central (though Pollock Halls, where a large number of 1st Years are housed is a bit of a walk apparently). The University has quite a lot of flats it can rent out that are closer in to the city centre I think, and you would have a good chance of getting put in one since you are from outside of edinburgh I think.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fabsuk)

Definitly UCL
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads