This discussion is closed.
xcats_55
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I'm a GCSE student trying to choose my A-level options and I'm quite interested in further maths but I'm concerned I won't be able to do it. I've heard that A-level maths is really difficult and although I enjoy the subject I havent had a great teacher for the last couple of years and I've lost alot of my previous confidence in maths. How difficult in further maths and how good do you have to be in order to do it?
devilschild
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by xcats_55)
I'm a GCSE student trying to choose my A-level options and I'm quite interested in further maths but I'm concerned I won't be able to do it. I've heard that A-level maths is really difficult and although I enjoy the subject I havent had a great teacher for the last couple of years and I've lost alot of my previous confidence in maths. How difficult in further maths and how good do you have to be in order to do it?
its not necessarily harder its just quite a lot more work! At our school we cant take further maths unless we have an A* or very good A at GCSE I think nething below that and you might struggle but its worth giving it a go. Even if you decided you didnt want to go on and do the extra maths modules after finishing maths A level the time wouldnt have been wasted because you've still got maths A level early so its out of the way. The exam boards tend to be quite flexible in which modules you can take towards maths A level and further maths so you can do more pure/stats/mechanics depending on your strengths.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A-level maths is a lot of work..by all accounts. I was also considering doing further maths....but the thought of half of my lessons being maths kind of put me off. Why don't you have a talk with some of the maths teachers in your school and hopefully they can give you some advice.

G
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by devilschild)
its not necessarily harder its just quite a lot more work! At our school we cant take further maths unless we have an A* or very good A at GCSE I think nething below that and you might struggle but its worth giving it a go. Even if you decided you didnt want to go on and do the extra maths modules after finishing maths A level the time wouldnt have been wasted because you've still got maths A level early so its out of the way. The exam boards tend to be quite flexible in which modules you can take towards maths A level and further maths so you can do more pure/stats/mechanics depending on your strengths.
Getting A* in GCSE has nothing to do with getting A in A'level. I've seen people with B in GCSE done better before. Maths needs talent. Hard work does not necessarily mean good result. If you think you got the talent then go for it. It gets much much more interesting after P3 and M2 (on the assumption that you do P4 5 6, M3 4, S2). But, if you got some dodgy teacher, then you might end up like me, going on strike over homework.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I like it, if you're planning on doing something like maths, physics or compsci at uni, then it's almost critical you take it. I struggle with it, though some people here find it quite easy.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well someone's view on here was that if you take Further Maths and do quite well you're guaranteed an A in Maths at least. I can see where they're coming from. I'm doing the Further Maths AS only this year along with my A2 Maths (the school didn't offer F-Maths when we started so me and two of my mates pushed the school to let us do it the next year). I'm finding the extra maths really helps, and I enjoy it. I'd advise it if you're thinking of doing a physical science at university.
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In my school if you want to do further maths you have to do fast track maths....and the thing that worries me is that if i find it hard i wouldnt be able to drop it because we can only take two other subjects if youre doing fast maths...and you need 4 Aslevels...which puts me in a pooey position. Hopefully im leaving my school though hehhee
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Our school doesn't do further maths one guy is trying to get them to do it and I was thinking of it, but there's no way I'd be able to do it...
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
Our school doesn't do further maths one guy is trying to get them to do it and I was thinking of it, but there's no way I'd be able to do it...
If you have mathematical talent (i.e. attained A*/A at GCSE), then Further Maths generally will not pose too many problems. It really depends though on whether you have a truly mathematical mind, or achieve highly because you learn the syllabus off by heart.

People only find it hard, or perceive it as such because of the way in which they regard maths.

For example, I have an abhorrence for people who see an addition, multiplication (or anything which remotely looks mathematical), and immediately switch off without even considering tackling the problem.

They seem to take on the attitude, “It is maths, therefore I shall not do it, because I can't do maths, at all, ever”, even if the problem itself doesn't necessitate a high degree of ability.

But anyway, two A-Levels in maths will consume time and comparatively dominate your timetable – so you have to be sure you have the required interest in the subject to properly commit to it.
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alec)
If you have mathematical talent (i.e. attained A*/A at GCSE), then Further Maths generally will not pose too many problems. It really depends though on whether you have a truly mathematical mind, or achieve highly because you learn the syllabus off by heart.

People only find it hard, or perceive it as such because of the way in which they regard maths.

For example, I have an abhorrence for people who see an addition, multiplication (or whatever) sign, and immediately switch off without even considering tackling the problem.

They seem to take on the attitude, “It is maths, therefore I shall not do it, because I can't do maths, at all, ever”, even if the problem itself doesn't necessitate a high degree of ability.

But anyway, two A-Levels in maths will consume time and comparatively dominate your timetable – so you have to be sure you have the required interest in the subject to properly commit to it.
I haven't taken my GCSE's yet, I'm predicted an A*, but whether I'll get it is another story... I couldn't do further maths cos I think I'm gonna do 5 A Levels so unless I did it at lunchtimes I wouldn't be able to do it... plus the teachers seem very reluctant to teach it?!
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was unsure whether to do further maths or not, and Im really glad I did it. You get maths alevel done in one year (nice cushion for UNI offers) and it gives you, in my opinion, a massive advantage in applying for any sort of mathematical degree. Also, in my case, it has allowed me to easily do 5 full alevels instead of the common 3 alevels and 1 as.

Don't worry about losing your confidence in GCSE maths, the maths at a-level is a lot different, but if your willing to be genuinely interested then its fine. The worst thing, as with all maths, is seeing it for the first time and thinking oh god that looks stupidly difficult, but after being taught it, and practicising it, its fine.

Only warning - prepare to have the piss taken out of you for being a "geek" .
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
By the way I was got an A* at GCSE, and an A at alevel normal maths.
Also, predicted A for further. This is on OCR, dunno if it varies much for other exam boards.
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leeroy)
By the way I was got an A* at GCSE, and an A at alevel normal maths.
Also, predicted A for further. This is on OCR, dunno if it varies much for other exam boards.
medal?
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I really wanted to do Further Maths because I want to do physics at university. However, my school doesn't offer it!
Currently in negotiations to do AS Further next year along with my A2s.
Will it seriously damage my chances of getting into a good physics degree, seeing as I couldn't do it at my school?
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
I really wanted to do Further Maths because I want to do physics at university. However, my school doesn't offer it!
Currently in negotiations to do AS Further next year along with my A2s.
Will it seriously damage my chances of getting into a good physics degree, seeing as I couldn't do it at my school?
What A Levels are you doing?
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
What A Levels are you doing?
Maths, physics, chemistry and english lit.
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Maths, physics, chemistry and english lit.
I was thinking of doing maths, physics, chem, bio and art for A Level... I'm gonna see if I can get my school to set up further maths as an extra... I dunno tho. I wouldn't have thought that it would affect your chances of doing a physics degree though, but I don't really know. It would be unfair if it did though...
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
I was thinking of doing maths, physics, chem, bio and art for A Level... I'm gonna see if I can get my school to set up further maths as an extra... I dunno tho. I wouldn't have thought that it would affect your chances of doing a physics degree though, but I don't really know. It would be unfair if it did though...

I don't think it would in most unis. I was looking at Cambridge NatSci, and they said it's useful but you just three, in some cases 2, out of maths, physics, chemistry and biology.
It would definitely be a big help though.
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't think it would in most unis. I was looking at Cambridge NatSci, and they said it's useful but you just three, in some cases 2, out of maths, physics, chemistry and biology.
It would definitely be a big help though.
If you don't do further maths and you apply for physical NatSci then you'll be taught pretty much the entire further syllabus (and then some) in the first 8 weeks. That's not as scary as it sounds, though! Further is no more difficult - it just introduces more concepts that you have to grasp.

Ben
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
If you don't do further maths and you apply for physical NatSci then you'll be taught pretty much the entire further syllabus (and then some) in the first 8 weeks. That's not as scary as it sounds, though! Further is no more difficult - it just introduces more concepts that you have to grasp.

Ben

Thanks for that ben, very informative.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (5)
50%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
10%
No- I want it (3)
30%
No- I don't want it (1)
10%

Watched Threads