This discussion is closed.
devilschild
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
I don't think it would in most unis. I was looking at Cambridge NatSci, and they said it's useful but you just three, in some cases 2, out of maths, physics, chemistry and biology.
It would definitely be a big help though.
For biological natsci at cambridge ive been asked 4 an A in AS further maths so I do think it would be useful to take it
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by devilschild)
For biological natsci at cambridge ive been asked 4 an A in AS further maths so I do think it would be useful to take it
They generally ask for an A in everything that you've taken. For pure biology it's not essential (not very useful either I don't think) to do furthr maths. If you want to take a more mathematical maths course (silly phrasing, never mind) then it may prove more useful - but, again, not essential. I didn't take further maths.

Ben
devilschild
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
They generally ask for an A in everything that you've taken. For pure biology it's not essential (not very useful either I don't think) to do furthr maths. If you want to take a more mathematical maths course (silly phrasing, never mind) then it may prove more useful - but, again, not essential. I didn't take further maths.

Ben
yeah it was probably because they said at interview they don't count psychology as a proper A level subject so they asked 4 the further maths instead. and also because I said I didnt really want to do the maths for biologists and that I wanted to do the other maths in the first year. so its prob not usually needed.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Ben
i am applying for physics at oxford, and u dont need further maths.

in terms of the admissions process, it isnt very important, their offers are only Maths, Physics and another a-level, they dont make offers based on further maths.

however, it would be a fairly good idea to take it, if u are wanting to apply for physics at uni as i will be doing. (oxford)

I do Mathematics, Physics Economics, Computing, General Studies and also an AS in Further Mathematics next year - this should be a good combination.

on the oxford website, it says for physics "Mathematics and Physics are essential and offers are absed on these 2 subjects + another a-level in an academic subject. an AS Level or more in Further Mathematics may possibly be helpful for some elements of the course."

However, u dont have to do Full Further Maths A-Level if its composed of lots of stats modules etc.

For example, i do A-Level Mathematics at mo, and its Pure and Mechanics.

For My AS-Level, i do another pure module and 2 more mechanics modules.

therefore, this means i am doing really useful modules - lots of pure and mechanics which is what is needed.

Most Further Maths a-levels just fill up the modules by taking a discrete module along with some stats modules etc - this has no help whatsoever for a physics course, otehr than getting ur further maths a-level.

in terms of mechanics, i would be super sharp.

5 Pure Modules + 4 Mechanics Modules is fine.

Hope this helps.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
good luck in whatever ya do anyway.
Sir I. Newton
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think that many people are put off by the name further maths, it seems daunting that maths has 2 a level courses, therefore it must be hard. But this isn't always the case, it just builds on the foundations laid in normal a level maths, increasing in difficulty the deeper you go into the maths. For A*/A/B GCSE Candidates, further maths may be hard, but its not impossible.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sir I. Newton)
I think that many people are put off by the name further maths, it seems daunting that maths has 2 a level courses, therefore it must be hard. But this isn't always the case, it just builds on the foundations laid in normal a level maths, increasing in difficulty the deeper you go into the maths. For A*/A/B GCSE Candidates, further maths may be hard, but its not impossible.
ditto.

thing is, i think its important that people dont just do it 4 the sake of it.

e.g.) i will only be doing an AS in Further Mathematics, but in total i will have done 5 pure modules and 4 mechanics modules.

if i did the full a-level (couldnt really anyway) then i would have had to do 2 stats modules and 1 discrete module amongst the 12 modules mixed.

what good would that have been really?

i hate discrete and stats!!
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
ditto.

thing is, i think its important that people dont just do it 4 the sake of it.

e.g.) i will only be doing an AS in Further Mathematics, but in total i will have done 5 pure modules and 4 mechanics modules.

if i did the full a-level (couldnt really anyway) then i would have had to do 2 stats modules and 1 discrete module amongst the 12 modules mixed.

what good would that have been really?

i hate discrete and stats!!
Have you ever done discrete or stats papers?

I thank you.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Ben
An A in everything you take? I thought it was 3A's and that was it, in their selected subjects. What if you did 4 A levels?
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
An A in everything you take? I thought it was 3A's and that was it, in their selected subjects. What if you did 4 A levels?
Then if they really like you theyll give you AAA

If there is a lot of competition for places, they might cover their backs and give AAAA
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (222)
60.99%
Yes- I don't like it (16)
4.4%
No- I want it (101)
27.75%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.87%

Watched Threads