The Student Room Group

Student Nightlife in Gloucester, Cheltenham and surrounding areas

Basically, I would like to know what the nightlife is like around this area? Good or bad? I would like to know opinions whether they are good or bad.

Scroll to see replies

As someone who's lived in Cheltenham for 18 years (and will be back there after I graduate) then I can say that there's no shortage of clubs and bars in Cheltenham but they are expensive.

To counter the expense there're also two Wetherspoons, what's not to love?

They've got a variety of clubs to suit every taste from 70s/80s clubs to LGBT clubs to mainstream to chavvy etc.

I can get loads more detail about this but have an essay to write at the minute. Just ask if you want to know more about anything in particular in Cheltenham. :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks, I want to know as well!
Reply 3
Original post by arandomname
Thanks, I want to know as well!

Hey, are you going to university around here too? :smile:
This was was about 4.5 years ago...but I found the nightlife in Gloucester to be AWFUL. I hated the city so much and only stayed nine months before changing uni's and heading to bristol. Cheltenham is gorgeous though, no complaints there.
Reply 5
Original post by sparrow-legs
This was was about 4.5 years ago...but I found the nightlife in Gloucester to be AWFUL. I hated the city so much and only stayed nine months before changing uni's and heading to bristol. Cheltenham is gorgeous though, no complaints there.

Heard that alot about Gloucester :s-smilie: been told its abit rough aswell (as in chavvy)? Is that true?
Yes. Very very rough. There are basically just chavs and seagulls. Awful place! Sad I wasted a year of my life there!
Reply 7
Will have to stick to a big group then! Thanks for the feedback :smile:
Reply 8
Will def have to stick in a big group. My friend says that Gloucester has a lot of discount shops too... Will most likely be heading into Bristol for nightlife :P

esimmons - you in? :biggrin:
Reply 9
i've lived in cheltenham all my life, but i've just turned 18; so not so much clubbing as yet! in general moda/the place/whatever you call it is generally full of chavs i hear, good places are dakota and i hear props is good sometimes..
Reply 10
Cheltenham's really good for going out and shopping. Plenty of clubs to go to. Gloucester's not great to be honest. Chavs galore. But it's cheap and if you have a decent group of people you can make it what you want it to be.
Reply 11
Original post by firewolf
Will def have to stick in a big group. My friend says that Gloucester has a lot of discount shops too... Will most likely be heading into Bristol for nightlife :P

Haha you don't need to question if I'm in babe, because it's obvious haha :smile:

Can't wait till we get to the 'Pury!
Original post by esimmons
Haha you don't need to question if I'm in babe, because it's obvious haha :smile:

Can't wait till we get to the 'Pury!

Are you going to Hartpury? I studied there for a year but left and went to Bristol instead :smile: What will you study?
Reply 13
Dno, Bristol is nutz.
Reply 14
Are you going to Hartpury? I studied there for a year but left and went to Bristol instead :smile: What will you study?

Yea I am :smile: Sports Coaching with Sports Therapy. I like Bristol though so I will try and get there as much as possible
Reply 15
I'm studying Animal Behaviour and Welfare :biggrin: Bristol is a bare 45 min drive from the college, according to my aunt, so tis all good :biggrin:
Heard that alot about Gloucester :s-smilie: been told its abit rough aswell (as in chavvy)? Is that true?

Yes and no. It is fairly chavvy but most of the ones I've come across are harmless.

Yes. Very very rough. There are basically just chavs and seagulls. Awful place! Sad I wasted a year of my life there!

It's hardly Hackney.

Original post by firewolf

3 that I know of, 99p Store, Poundland and Aldi or Lidl (if you even count those as discount stores).

There have been a few sex attacks recently though so I would recommend sticking to a group but that's standard advice for nights out in every city surely.
Original post by Fandabidoze!

It's nowhere near as bad as everyone's making it, baring in mind you won't be going into most of the 'chavvy' areas. As far as I know the campuses are out of said areas or in cheltenham so it's not bad. But there's not an awful lot going on in Gloucester itself. Definitely recommend lakota though.

Cheltenham's got a lot of shops for a town, it's pretty good.

Hey, are you going to university around here too? :smile:

Sorry for the late reply!

Yes, I got an offer from Gloucestershire for biology.
Doctors pub eastgate street Gloucester! Pints from £2.05, jam jar cocktails 2 for £6 or a pitcher for £10, vodka monster £1.50 , 5 jäger bombs for £10 and many more offers and deals!! Every Wednesday 9pm to 1am!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest