Pride and Prejudice - marriage as an economic arrangement? Watch

vienna_waits_for_you
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
In ‘Pride and Prejudice’, marriage is presented primarily as an economic arrangement. How far and in what ways would you agree with this view?

Discuss. I do agree in the sense of Mrs Bennett's insistence that Lizzy marries Mr Collins, but her father disagrees and Lizzy isn't afraid to defy her mother, suggesting the need for love in marriage is recognized. Then there's Charlotte Lucas' views as well. I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to be talking about society as a whole? Also what on earth I'd put in my intro. Any help appreciated
vienna_waits_for_you
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
bump
victoriar2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would say to what extent you agree with the statement in your introduction, then throughout provide context. i.e. charlotte lucas and mrs bennet presents the traditional views on marriage at the time, represents patriarchal society etc etc. Then you could go on to argue that Elizabeth portrays a strong, independent female capable of making her own decisions and not bowing down to societies requirements and therefore does not succumb to the economic benefits of marriage and instead wants to marry for love - then include some more context.
I reckon it would be better to 'drip feed' context/ information about society, showing you really know the text well?
Then in your conclusion you could make a poignent statement that kind of closes the whole argument off but leaves the reader thinking.
Hope it's kind of helped
Angelicus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Like the above poster said but could you connect economic to society in general. Haven't fully worked this out in my head (Am in a rush lol) but could you say that Lydia marries whickam because it gives her a higher status in society - which could in turn have its own oconomic benefits. Tenuous link I know! Also, could you say something on the flipside realting to context - if you weren't married or were widowed then you had much great fionacial power. For example would lady catherine de burg have so much influence if she had a husband? COuld you also connect to dowries to show how much marriages relate to economics - they are less likely to have a good marriage as they have small dowries = husbands looking for rich wives to boost the family fortune (ie. whickham courting the darcy sister, that other moneyed women and then mr bennet/darcy having to pay him to marry lydia).

Sorry these are unfleshed points but they might be helpful. Have fun
Angelicus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Like the above poster said but could you connect economic to society in general. Haven't fully worked this out in my head (Am in a rush lol) but could you say that Lydia marries whickam because it gives her a higher status in society - which could in turn have its own oconomic benefits. Tenuous link I know! Also, could you say something on the flipside realting to context - if you weren't married or were widowed then you had much great fionacial power. For example would lady catherine de burg have so much influence if she had a husband? COuld you also connect to dowries to show how much marriages relate to economics - they are less likely to have a good marriage as they have small dowries = husbands looking for rich wives to boost the family fortune (ie. whickham courting the darcy sister, that other moneyed women and then mr bennet/darcy having to pay him to marry lydia).

Sorry these are unfleshed points but they might be helpful. Have fun
ImNad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh my days, thank you, I need to do this as homework and you helped a lot
Ps I hate English because I'm rubbish at it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.52%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (497)
59.24%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.42%

Watched Threads