Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSRians,

EDIT: Getting straight to the point:

I have heard someone saying, "The more you get involved at university the more you will be benefitted because you'll have loads of things to put on your CV without even realising it."

Apart from studying effectively for hours, what are the other important things which all uni students should do, irrespective of their degree programme, in order to impress potential employers in the future?

I'd like to request all current uni students and graduates to give their personal suggestions (containing some do's and dont's) and tips for the freshers so that we can aim to make an 'Ideal' University Life.

Hope this thread becomes the most useful and informative one for all the freshers and future uni students in both UK and abroad.

Thanks,
    Ashique

ReputationRep:
    Why only 2nd year students and above...first years can know a lot

ReputationRep:
    There can be a big difference between enjoying university life and impressing future employers.

ReputationRep:
    Join sports clubs/societies. Great way to meet other people and gives you the chance to try out all sorts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Why only 2nd year students and above...first years can know a lot
    Alrite then... any current uni student is welcome to provide her or his personal suggestions and tips for the freshers.

(Original post by Acaila)
    There can be a big difference between enjoying university life and impressing future employers.
    Well... by saying 'an ideal uni life' I mean there should be both extra activities and a good social life besides formal studies.

ReputationRep:
    Some people would class an ideal uni life as on in which they go out and get drunk every night. I'm not too sure that would go down well with an employer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Some people would class an ideal uni life as on in which they go out and get drunk every night. I'm not too sure that would go down well with an employer
    'Getting drunk' is part of social life which many uni students prefer to have, but it'd be ridiculous of mentioning this activity in the CV. I'm sure there are loads of other good things which can bring you good impression on your CV.

Please let us know any suggestions/tips (if you have any) for an ideal uni life.

Thanks for dropping by.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you see yourself doing in the future. If you want to become a lawyer, join the debating team. If you want to become a journalist, write for the university newspaper. If you want to go into politics, run for a position on the students' union, or president of your favourite society.

Employers want interesting people in their workplaces, so if two people apply for the same job, one with a 2:1 in history from Durham, and one with a 2:1 in geography from Bristol (i.e. there's nothing to choose between them academically), the employer will look favourably upon the one who plays tennis/goes salsa dancing/sings in a local choir than the one who appears to have no interests.

ReputationRep:
    Take advantage of the student union services and societies and the easy access to media. Regardless of your course/career interests you should try and tailor the opportunities to make the most of your time at uni. Here are some suggestions:

-Write articles for the paper about a recent local issue related to your degree subject. Interview students, staff, locals, it can actually be a lot of fun (honest!) Write it well and it'll easily stand out from the usual student mag drivel surrounding it.

-Volunteer for a relevant project. If you can't find one, set your own up! It doesn't have to take away all your time, simply make it a one-off if you're not upto anything long term (I'm currently doing exactly this - setting up engineering workshops for kiddies).

-Find out if the union offer any free training schemes such as 'team working' seminars etc.

-You're going to have lots of summer free time plus additional christmas breaks - all these are potential opportunities to do work experience/short-term placements. Don't waste them. And do take advantage of the careers advice service your uni offers for this, because they're always helpful.

Basically the uni is a very secure and supportive environment to try out difficult things like being a chairperson for your fave society (and getting that all important leadership experience) or setting up your own projects (since they give you a lot of support, logistically and financially).

What does everyone think of the ideas I posted up there? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    good grades is obviousley important, join societies that is related to your degree in some way but also other ones cause it shows you are interested in many things. work part time or when you have vacation in the area you want to work in later, that way you will have experience.

Edit: when i first read the title i thought it was a thread with tips on how to survive uni like hand in your homework in time, have fun, don't get drunk the night before an exam etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    Take advantage of the student union services and societies and the easy access to media. Regardless of your course/career interests you should try and tailor the opportunities to make the most of your time at uni. Here are some suggestions:

-Write articles for the paper about a recent local issue related to your degree subject. Interview students, staff, locals, it can actually be a lot of fun (honest!) Write it well and it'll easily stand out from the usual student mag drivel surrounding it.

-Volunteer for a relevant project. If you can't find one, set your own up! It doesn't have to take away all your time, simply make it a one-off if you're not upto anything long term (I'm currently doing exactly this - setting up engineering workshops for kiddies).

-Find out if the union offer any free training schemes such as 'team working' seminars etc.

-You're going to have lots of summer free time plus additional christmas breaks - all these are potential opportunities to do work experience/short-term placements. Don't waste them. And do take advantage of the careers advice service your uni offers for this, because they're always helpful.

Basically the uni is a very secure and supportive environment to try out difficult things like being a chairperson for your fave society (and getting that all important leadership experience) or setting up your own projects (since they give you a lot of support, logistically and financially).

They are really good tips.I wouldn't have though of setting up my own projects and the like...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'd definitely recommend joining societies. Doesn't have to be related to your degree course cos you can get loads of valuable experience from other places - especially ones which involve things like volunteering which I believe is looked on very favourably by employers. Plus you'll get to meet lots of interesting people so you can often combine society participation and your social life!
    And again I'd agree with black_mamba on the work experience front. Chances are you're going to have *incredibly* long summer holidays (mine were something like 12 or 14 weeks) so it's definitely worth getting some sort of experience in fields you might be interested in. If you don't know what career you'd like to go into, it's also a great chance to try some out!
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    The ideas are really good. I think they're brilliant

Many thanks to BexTait, susiemakemeblue, black_mamba, _EMMA_, and JennLlama for your tips and suggestions.

I hope more tips will be added soon from other TSR members, esp the seniors (e.g. Fluffy, PQ, Miles, Helenia, ChemistBoy, and so on).

ReputationRep:
    I think one of the main things is to join societies, as others have said. Join societies that are related to your degree and something different. That looks good.

I've joined a lot of stuff and am a member on commitee's , that should hopefully do me some good in a few years time.

ReputationRep:
    i just took part in a fundraising campaign for my uni. it only lasted a month, was good money to earn and i learnt loads about the uni etc. just because i spoke to loads of former students and they all gave me career advice and stuff. i would really recomend anyone to do it if they they got the opportunity (and i get a reference from Lorraine Kelly!)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Anyoneelse with some brilliant ideas?

ReputationRep:
    The biggest tip I can give is not to gear yourself up for having an 'ideal university life', because you will be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, you will have lots of great times, but as with anything in life, nothing is perfect. Don't expect too much, just take it as it comes.

ReputationRep:
    Make an effort to get involved with as much as possible when you start. In my first year I only joined a couple of societies and tended to stick to pretty much the same social group (i.e. neighbours/people in the same block at hall and coursemates), going out on the same predictable nights of the week to the same night clubs. Since starting a new university for my BSc year, I've joined a few socs, am on the committee for one; am an editor for a magazine, write and interview people for the student newspaper, volunteer at the hospital and on the interview panel for upcoming medical admissions. I wish I'd done all this stuff when I didn't have so much work to do but I'm setting myself up for some intense revision over the next few weeks for January exams. =o

So yeah, do not restrict yourself merely to friends you make in accommodation and on your course, there's a whole university out there after all.

(Oh, and don't leave work till the last minute).

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in uni yet but volunteering, joining societies and getting involved in the student union all seem like good ideas to me

ReputationRep:
    whilst it is important to talior your interests around your degree/career choice eg writing for a paper if doing journalism, it is also good to join a club or start a hobby that is completely unrelated to ur degree program not only as a way of meeting new friends, but also employers like to see interesting people and by having a hobby unrelated to your degree/job itll give you a break from it when/if you need it!

also volunteering is a fanatstic thing do!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.