Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Feels good to be back...

Any tips on how NOT to run out of time in tests and examinations ? Especially Mathematics ? :confused:

Thnx.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vrus)
    Feels good to be back...

Any tips on how NOT to run out of time in tests and examinations ? Especially Mathematics ? :confused:

Thnx.
    plan your answers. dont waste time by doing things the long way. if there are rly long formulas then find out a way to break them down but keep all the important working out! your teacher should give you tips on how to break down large formulas into smaller ones but still get the same marks for them.

ReputationRep:
    another way is that if u dont understand a question, move onto the next one (this is for exams like maths, science etc, not english) and then come back to the questions that u missed.

thats what i did in my GCSEs and i managed to finish all the questions within the allocated time.

also, for the english exams and other essay type questions, plan your essays, like mikeski said. also, time your self e.g. give youself 5-10 mins to plan, then 20mins to write the first half of ur essay etc.

i did that last year too in my english and managed to get my essays finished, was so relieved that i got my 4 lit poems essay finished in time.

i hope this helps!!! and good luck, even though the exams are like months away yet!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing A-Levels now and have had the same problem for a number of years. It cost me an estimated 3 grades in some subjects at GCSE. If you want to tallk more about this, then message me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vrus)
    Feels good to be back...

Thnx.
    this probably isn't the best answer, but just get cleverer. i can understand running out of time in english, history, or something like that where you can write an unlimited amount, but for maths all you need to do is recognise what the question is asking you to do, do it, and move on to the next. EVERYONE i knew of thought you got loads of time for maths and science exams. isn't one of the papers 2hrs? most people finished it within an hour...

...oh yeah, and of course, everyone knows you only need like 60% to get an A* in maths, so it doesn't matter if you don't answer all the questiosn anyway

ReputationRep:
    get practise papers - from your teacher or from the exam board website and practise doing them in exam conditions - get parents to time you and stuff

either get your teacher to check them - or if you got them off the board website there should be a mark scheme up there

ReputationRep:
    In Maths and Science you should have plenty of time, but, just so you don't get bogged down, if you can't work out how to answer something in a minute, skip it and come back later. That means you'll pick up all the easy marks you can get and spend the remainder of the time getting the hard ones.

In English and History, just spend time on a question in proportion to the amount of marks it's worth. If you run out of time on a question, move on anyway.

ReputationRep:
    In History we're working on the basis that 1 mark = 90 seconds. So a 15 mark essay question should take 22 and a half minutes. I'm doing my History GCSE with Edexcel and this method means it's pretty hard not to run out of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashshashin)
    In History we're working on the basis that 1 mark = 90 seconds. So a 15 mark essay question should take 22 and a half minutes. I'm doing my History GCSE with Edexcel and this method means it's pretty hard not to run out of time.
    practise doing the essay in 15 mins until you can get all the info in that time - then in the exam you will have more time than you need - i did this and it works

ReputationRep:
    Yes, for History, we had essay tests every week that started at 20 minutes and went down to 12 minutes. Also, we got told 1 mark = 1 minute

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickiM)
    Yes, for History, we had essay tests every week that started at 20 minutes and went down to 12 minutes. Also, we got told 1 mark = 1 minute
    yep we did that but for RS i found it helped when it came to doing the exam

ReputationRep:
    yea we were told to get 2 marks u need a statement and an example... makes sense like...

ReputationRep:
    just make sure the amount of stuff you write for a question is linked to the number of marks. for example, i did an economics mock the other week and wrote three sentences plus a diagram for a 2 mark question and only had enough time to write 2 paragraphs for the final 12 mark question (hence the measely 4 marks for it)

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.