driving lessons,struggling? Watch

rhstar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi, i have had above 20 lessons now and for atleast the last 4-5 lessons I have been doing junctions,crossroads and now roundabouts-and i feel like im not getting it in and have trouble concentrating,i read up on it but find it difficult to perform in the lesson any tips and experiences that you have had to help me out,? My instructor every lesson makes me drive and do these and thats all ive been doing the past few lessons-is that normal?
thanks,appreciate it
Sammydemon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rhstar)
Hi, i have had above 20 lessons now and for atleast the last 4-5 lessons I have been doing junctions,crossroads and now roundabouts-and i feel like im not getting it in and have trouble concentrating,i read up on it but find it difficult to perform in the lesson any tips and experiences that you have had to help me out,?
thanks,appreciate it
20 lessons!?
All that can be suggested is practical practice. Reading can only get you so far.

Do you have some kind of confidence or manual dexterity problems?
k3ro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No tips really, just try to calm down and be more confident. It's all practice - some people will learn faster than others.

To be honest, driving still makes me nervous as hell, and I'm booked to do my test soon (I failed my last one for speeding XD). But my instructor was a total ass and he put me on a huge roundabout during my first 30mins of being behind the wheel.

Just keep at it, and don't give up. There were so many times I wanted to quit because I felt I couldn't do it and I hated it, but honestly, and I know this doesn't help, but it'll come with time.
*BB*
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by k3ro)
No tips really, just try to calm down and be more confident. It's all practice - some people will learn faster than others.

To be honest, driving still makes me nervous as hell, and I'm booked to do my test soon (I failed my last one for speeding XD). But my instructor was a total ass and he put me on a huge roundabout during my first 30mins of being behind the wheel.

Just keep at it, and don't give up. There were so many times I wanted to quit because I felt I couldn't do it and I hated it, but honestly, and I know this doesn't help, but it'll come with time.
Fancy seeing you here!

Anyway, yeah.. it took me four times to pass my test. I felt useless at times and as if I'd never ever pass, it didn't come easy to me. But the best feeling ever is when you're told 'You've passed!'... My instructor said that you'll have bad lessons along the way and it's true. Sometimes I just never wanted to get into a car again, but keep persevering and you'll be fine

PS: I changed instructors once... my first instructor used to make me drive him to the bank and waste a quarter of my lesson time, and he was rubbish.
k3ro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by *BB*)
Fancy seeing you here!

Anyway, yeah.. it took me four times to pass my test. I felt useless at times and as if I'd never ever pass, it didn't come easy to me. But the best feeling ever is when you're told 'You've passed!'... My instructor said that you'll have bad lessons along the way and it's true. Sometimes I just never wanted to get into a car again, but keep persevering and you'll be fine

PS: I changed instructors once... my first instructor used to make me drive him to the bank and waste a quarter of my lesson time, and he was rubbish.
omg hi ily.
Grats on passing (YOU NEVER TOLD ME). I've been putting off booking my test since November... And then last week my mum booked it for me. Fail. =.=

(And lol! My instructor does that... But not to the bank. To his office and some weird friend of his. Lawlz.)
L'Amour Toujours
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You've only just started doing junctions and that malarchy after 20 lessons? That seems like an awful lot to me, but if you say you're having difficulty picking things up, that's probably the reason why your instructor keeps making you do them - practice makes perfect!

Reading can only get you so far and whilst it's really good you're taking this seriously and making an effort, you need to have more practical practice than anything, to build up your confidence on the roads. Perhaps try booking a couple of 2hr sessions? When I first started I was really nervous and found myself only getting confident towards the end of the hour, so booked a couple of 2hr sessions to boost my performance. Otherwise, just try and keep calm and think things through logically - I'm sure you'll get there in the end.
*BB*
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by k3ro)
omg hi ily.
Grats on passing (YOU NEVER TOLD ME). I've been putting off booking my test since November... And then last week my mum booked it for me. Fail. =.=

(And lol! My instructor does that... But not to the bank. To his office and some weird friend of his. Lawlz.)
Hi
I passed in November... a week before the mental snow . Yayy! You'll be fine
I love how we both have one random B at GCSE :P
Hahaha, sounds a bit dodgy that does :/
OP, another tip.. DOUBLE CHECK to see if there are any road signs. I failed my third for going 30mph in a 20 zone because the sign was completely covered by a tree, completely... therefore legally 20mph was not enforceable and I shouldn't have failed because technically I was doing nothing wrong. That hurt
theboilermantr15
Badges: 8
Report 8 years ago
Seriousley don't worry about it, everyone's different you will definitely get the hang of it eventually it just takes practice.

Are you very nervous when you drive? Try chilling out and not being bothered about making mistakes.

Perhaps try changing driving instructor?
Kareir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Try to drive everywhere with your parents if you're living at home, or any licensed driver that's been driving for whatever period of time it is in england. Try to literally drive every day, no matter where or in what conditions. You'll get it eventually.

_Kar.
Ultimate_Geek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by k3ro)

I went on a dual carriage-way with a huge round-about at the end in my first lesson. I'd only ever driven a tractor before and had never even turned on a car's ignition .
Topola
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I done like 30hr plus I drive in my car and still struggle I have bad days and good days just finished my lesson and last week was better than this ! I could see my driving instructor is getting annoyed with me ! And every time I'm thinking why ?! Why ! Is so hard 😭😩 but like everyone I was talking too practice practice pratcice !!! And don't panic !! Well easy to say at the end off my lesson I had problem to get out of the car coz my back was hurting so much !! I want to relax but Is so much to remember and you need to concentrate and I struggle with that one but I won't give up even if I be need to drive 100 hr I get better I just need more time think I'm brain dead sometimes lol
Librascale
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I thought I’m the only one struggling. But I do feel quite useless coz I struggle with parking. I’m okay on the road but for some reason I’m just not getting it right when it comes to parking. My instructor yelled at me yesterday and I started crying. I really don’t even feel like continuing with the lessons. I guess I also just need to practice. 😔
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (94)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (67)
10.58%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.53%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.53%
No (440)
69.51%

Watched Threads