Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, just thought I'd offer up my services if anybody wants advice. If you couldn't guess by the title, I'm currently studying philosophy at Sidney Sussex college. I'm in my first year, so I still remember most of the interview process and how it felt to check UCAS Track every half an hour :P

Mainly I'd be able to give some advice in terms of interviews and course structure on the philosophy side of things (remember, even if you get an offer, it could still be not the course for you).

On the Sidney Sussex side of things, I could answer any questions people have about the college in general - accomodation, food (if you dare ask) and things like that. Do feel free to reply on here/PM me.

Good luck to all the 2006 applicants!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I'm applying to Sidney Sussex for Economics =D Send off my SAQ yesterday by special delivery. No questions yet... Don't even have a certain interview date.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Land Economy... and don't know yet if i have an interview or not and according to the letter attached to SAQ i won't know before the end of November... so shall i send an e-mail to the college asking if they could let me know earlier (i'd have to schedule my flight - i'm an EU applicant)?

ReputationRep:
    *hijacks thread and forks rik*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monii)
    I've applied for Land Economy... and don't know yet if i have an interview or not and according to the letter attached to SAQ i won't know before the end of November... so shall i send an e-mail to the college asking if they could let me know earlier (i'd have to schedule my flight - i'm an EU applicant)?
    It might be worth trying - they know flight scheduling can be a pain. It shouldn't do any harm anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    It might be worth trying - they know flight scheduling can be a pain. It shouldn't do any harm anyway
    ok i'll email them than - i'll give them several days though so that they have time to read my SAQ

ReputationRep:
    hello! I'm not going to sidney sussex... and i already have a place... but anyhoo, i was wondering how the course is going so far - what's the work load like? are you doing many many interesting topics? - i'm trying to gradually read my way throught the first year reading list, but gradually really is the word... :rolleyes: hohum...

So, um, yeah - what's it like so far?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, first of all, what are these SAQ things people mentioning? Is it some kind of CAF replacement? Or just something I have no memory of actually filling in?

Also, groovy_moose... seriously... reading the first year list... madness... but very diligent. What do you mean by the first year reading list, though? Do you mean that one they have listed on the website and that they send out, divided up into introductory texts/great classics etc..? If so, then that's just a vague recommended thing that you *can* read if you want and will never be mentioned again once you arrive. There are completely separate reading lists for all the lectures and supervisions that are divided up by topic. i.e. logic, set texts, ethics and metaphysics. To be honest, though, it wouldnt' really be worth reading many of those, 'cause there's about 10 in each section and you'll only be given about 3 or 4 to read for a given essay. You don't want to go re-reading stuff you've already done for *every* supervision, surely it'd drive you nuts?

In terms of the actual course, I love it! The lecturers are fantastic, the structure is great and the ethics supervisions were really good, i got a lot from them. I'm doing philosophical logic now (as well as classes in formal logic) for supervisions and at first I hated it, but since my first supervision i'm now a good deal more enthusiastic about it. Supervisions are great - having an expert on the subject go over a particular area of the topic for an hour one-on-one. Brilliant!

We're having a philosophers formal hall at Trinity as well, which (for those who don't know) is essentially a big waiter-service dinner where you wear suit (or black tie) and gowns and get smashed on cheap wine. Fantastic.

Wow... went off on a bit of a one there. Just feeling quite hyped about the whole thing at the moment. It has its ups and downs, but i'm on a major up at the moment having cooked a really nice meal with my flat and had a good evening. Brilliant. Also, i'm full of sugar.

*breathes*

*forks Rhian repeatedly*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rik_Rock)
    Okay, first of all, what are these SAQ things people mentioning? Is it some kind of CAF replacement? Or just something I have no memory of actually filling in?

Also, groovy_moose... seriously... reading the first year list... madness... but very diligent. What do you mean by the first year reading list, though? Do you mean that one they have listed on the website and that they send out, divided up into introductory texts/great classics etc..? If so, then that's just a vague recommended thing that you *can* read if you want and will never be mentioned again once you arrive. There are completely separate reading lists for all the lectures and supervisions that are divided up by topic. i.e. logic, set texts, ethics and metaphysics. To be honest, though, it wouldnt' really be worth reading many of those, 'cause there's about 10 in each section and you'll only be given about 3 or 4 to read for a given essay. You don't want to go re-reading stuff you've already done for *every* supervision, surely it'd drive you nuts?

In terms of the actual course, I love it! The lecturers are fantastic, the structure is great and the ethics supervisions were really good, i got a lot from them. I'm doing philosophical logic now (as well as classes in formal logic) for supervisions and at first I hated it, but since my first supervision i'm now a good deal more enthusiastic about it. Supervisions are great - having an expert on the subject go over a particular area of the topic for an hour one-on-one. Brilliant!

We're having a philosophers formal hall at Trinity as well, which (for those who don't know) is essentially a big waiter-service dinner where you wear suit (or black tie) and gowns and get smashed on cheap wine. Fantastic.

Wow... went off on a bit of a one there. Just feeling quite hyped about the whole thing at the moment. It has its ups and downs, but i'm on a major up at the moment having cooked a really nice meal with my flat and had a good evening. Brilliant. Also, i'm full of sugar.

*breathes*

*forks Rhian repeatedly*
    Honestly, Rik, you'll have to try harder next time. I barely noticed that forking.

ReputationRep:
    That's not what you said last time. In fact, there were very few people who *didn't* notice last time.

On an unrelated topic, where can we go for coffee now we're no longer welcome in Starbucks?

ReputationRep:
    Dunno. Coffee though. Soon.

--------------

When Rik invites me out for coffee, he just wants to fork me

ReputationRep:
    Indeed.

On that bombshell, does anybody from Sidney want to tell me their interview dates? If it's really early in December, I might still be around for a few days, could be fun to meet some interviewees/feed them muffins, as I am apt to do with most people. Take up the offer before I become a cynical 2nd year!

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for philosophy this year at Corpus Chrsiti. What was your test like if you had one - and do you have any advice for interviews, or examples of stuff you were asked? Or any good books to read... Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Indeed.

On that bombshell, does anybody from Sidney want to tell me their interview dates? If it's really early in December, I might still be around for a few days, could be fun to meet some interviewees/feed them muffins, as I am apt to do with most people. Take up the offer before I become a cynical 2nd year!
    I've applied for Medicine I don't know of anyone that has an interview yet though.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed.

I'll second that: I'll be around til 19th Dec so post the dates and I'll bring chocolate (and possibly festive things :santaclau )

ReputationRep:
    I'm hopefully around until the 7th, does anybody have an early interview? I'm guessing there wont be any philosophers, as i remember mine being on the 16th last year and I imagine they're in pretty standard routine each year.
    I know it helps to have somebody friendly around to chat to, though, so if anybody is going to be around, drop me a line (that goes for philosophers from other colleges, too)

ReputationRep:
    I'm hopefully around until the 7th, does anybody have an early interview? I'm guessing there wont be any philosophers, as i remember mine being on the 16th last year and I imagine they're in pretty standard routine each year.
    I know it helps to have somebody friendly around to chat to, though, so if anybody is going to be around, drop me a line (that goes for philosophers from other colleges, too)
    My interviews on the 7th, I'd be happy to have someone to talk to. My interviews for Kings in the morning of that day, so maybe see you on the 6th sometime? That'd be great.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else feel like there is a lot of innuendo going on in this thread to do with utensils?

ReputationRep:
    Finally got my interview date - 5th of December! Would be nice to hang out with you, friendly people, but the interview is at 10 in the morning and I don't want to stay in the college the night before.. If I come in at around 9 we could get a cup of tea or something. I'll probably be very nervous!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have Dr Beber?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.