Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnStuartMill)
    Does anyone else feel like there is a lot of innuendo going on in this thread to do with utensils?
    Innuendo and utensils? Never.

I forked Rik in Cafe Nero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
    Innuendo and utensils? Never.

I forked Rik in Cafe Nero.
    In a public place? Are you sure that is legal?

Btw, how you enjoying the history degree? Am hoping to be heading up to do one myself next year - applied to Emmanuel.

What papers you taking this year?

ReputationRep:
    In a public place? Are you sure that is legal?

Btw, how you enjoying the history degree? Am hoping to be heading up to do one myself next year - applied to Emmanuel.

What papers you taking this year?
    I'm doing 5, 10 and 18 this year, and hopefully 13 and 17 next year. Whether that makes sense to you, I've no idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Do you have Dr Beber?
    Yes! Dr. Beber and Mr. Pollit =) What are they like? I've met Mr. Partington before, he seemed really nice! Still nervous though.

Also, what will the written test be like? One whole hour... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    hi guys~

im with dr pollitt and mr weber as well...

12:05 5 Dec 05

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatyeung)
    hi guys~

im with dr pollitt and mr weber as well...

12:05 5 Dec 05
    Hi!
    I've got them on the 5th at 11:20 - must be just before you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendlyneutron)
    I have my interview for medicine on the 12th! One with Dr Hennings and Dr Hall and one with Dr Jackson and Dr Flynn, eek!
    Dr Flynn?! He's my sub-DoS! He's probably the least frightening person in the whole world: he's incredibly quiet and nice (I reckon he's dead shy). You should have no problems there! Hennings is very nice but looks a bit scary (not too dissimilar to Doc Brown from Back to the Future). Be prepared for that, don't let it scare you - he's a nice bloke

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 5, 10 and 18 this year, and hopefully 13 and 17 next year. Whether that makes sense to you, I've no idea.
    Indeed it does, a fan of European History I take it then? Any preferred country's history?

ReputationRep:
    Indeed it does, a fan of European History I take it then? Any preferred country's history?
    I'm not necessarily a fan of European history, it's just once you've been to a few lectures by certain lecturers, you never want to see British History ever again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Dr Flynn?! He's my sub-DoS! He's probably the least frightening person in the whole world: he's incredibly quiet and nice (I reckon he's dead shy). You should have no problems there! Hennings is very nice but looks a bit scary (not too dissimilar to Doc Brown from Back to the Future). Be prepared for that, don't let it scare you - he's a nice bloke
    The eek was just in general! Is Dr Flynn a haematologist? I wasn't sure because when I was trying to research his interests, I couldn't really find anything apart from some blood-y papers. Is Dr Hennings really ok? Maths isn't my strongest area so I'm a bit anxious about being interviewed by a mathematician :s

ReputationRep:
    Hennings is very nice but looks a bit scary (not too dissimilar to Doc Brown from Back to the Future). Be prepared for that, don't let it scare you - he's a nice bloke
    Hehe, he interviewed me- was a bit alarmed when I saw him cos he does look a bit mad professor-ish. but he was nice, as was ian baxendale, who i thought looked far too young to be a fellow and is now the dean! no don't be worried about him being a mathematician- he didn't ask me evil maths Q for natsci, just horrible ones about DNA and pineapples!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendlyneutron)
    The eek was just in general! Is Dr Flynn a haematologist? I wasn't sure because when I was trying to research his interests, I couldn't really find anything apart from some blood-y papers. Is Dr Hennings really ok? Maths isn't my strongest area so I'm a bit anxious about being interviewed by a mathematician :s
    He does some cardiovascular research, but not particularly haematology as far as I know. I think at the moment he's mainly doing doctoring though.

And yeah, Hennings is nice He talks a lot though (he got my parents at the Freshers' garden party and they're still bitter about missing out on dessert as a result!)...

Joanna: Ian is just brilliant! Are you doing chemistry and do you have him for organic if you do? I think he's probably the best supervisor I've had, and this is despite the fact that I actually couldn't do chemistry... He makes a fab Dean as well because he's young enough to remember being a student and sympathise

ReputationRep:
    Bloomsbury:
    Sure, I'll be around on the 6th. Are you staying over at King's? If so, there's a Cafe Nero (where Rhian forked me, but just ignore that) which serves a decent latte, or a hot chocolate which could possibly do more to calm your nerves. PM me a little nearer the time and I'll gladly come chat to you, I know it can be a big help to have somebody talk you through things.

Tanusha-Tomsk:
    How come you don't want to stay over in college? Where will you stay instead? Or will you just arrive at some scarily early time in the morning? Bear in mind you'd do well to have a good night's sleep, so you should make your plans based on that. (that said, they put me in bin court, where i was awoken at 6 by some guy disposing of multiple crates of glass items into a giant dumpster...grrr). I could probably meet you in the TV room (which is where the applicants tend to get sent) and fix up some tea/coffee there.

Anybody else with early interviews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rik_Rock)
    Tanusha-Tomsk:
    How come you don't want to stay over in college? Where will you stay instead? Or will you just arrive at some scarily early time in the morning? Bear in mind you'd do well to have a good night's sleep, so you should make your plans based on that. (that said, they put me in bin court, where i was awoken at 6 by some guy disposing of multiple crates of glass items into a giant dumpster...grrr). I could probably meet you in the TV room (which is where the applicants tend to get sent) and fix up some tea/coffee there.
    That'd be great, thanks! I even know where TV room is :rolleyes:

Oh god, did I make the wrong decision? I know I will have to get up at 5:30, (but I used to have to get up that early for school last year), go to Kings Cross by tube (#1 hour), then get a train to Cambridge (#50 mins) and find my way to the college. I love trains (not tube though) and I guess I thought it'll be alright... Besides, my mum isn't very keen on the idea. Did you stay overnight? Was it good?

ReputationRep:
    RIK RIK RIK

I have an early interview. Honest. I do. For, erm...ASNaC...Can I have a muffin?

ReputationRep:
    Tanusha:
    If it's less than two hours travel, I guess they might have expected you to travel anyway, although you probably could have asked to stay over given your interview is pretty early. Just try and make sure you sleep well, I know it's a stupid thing to say, I know I didn't sleep that well. I stayed overnight at college, see the post of mine that you quoted :P

Seriously, though, do try to relax a little. I'll do my best to calm you down pre-interview, but until then, just realise that everybody else is *not* a super-genius and probably of a similar intelligence to you. The college will not instantly hate you for asking questions/anything similar. The vast, vast majority of the staff here are friendly and easy-going.

Rhian:
    You still owe me a coffee since the whole confusing Cafe Nero incident with the till operator and the confused Rik.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno. Coffee though. Soon.

--------------

When Rik invites me out for coffee, he just wants to fork me
    I'll come along at some point too, if any of you dont mind Haven't met you yet Rhian!

ReputationRep:
    Joanna: Ian is just brilliant! Are you doing chemistry and do you have him for organic if you do? I think he's probably the best supervisor I've had, and this is despite the fact that I actually couldn't do chemistry... He makes a fab Dean as well because he's young enough to remember being a student and sympathise
    Oooh I don't know if I'll be getting him- I'm changing supervisor now we've moved onto the organic stuff but no word so far on who or when! He still comes to Cromwell TV room occasionally if he thinks there's too much of a party going on, and he busted the one on T floor too. Mind you there were a few fire extinguishers set off...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rik_Rock)
    Tanusha:
    If it's less than two hours travel, I guess they might have expected you to travel anyway, although you probably could have asked to stay over given your interview is pretty early. Just try and make sure you sleep well, I know it's a stupid thing to say, I know I didn't sleep that well. I stayed overnight at college, see the post of mine that you quoted :P

Seriously, though, do try to relax a little. I'll do my best to calm you down pre-interview, but until then, just realise that everybody else is *not* a super-genius and probably of a similar intelligence to you. The college will not instantly hate you for asking questions/anything similar. The vast, vast majority of the staff here are friendly and easy-going.

Rhian:
    You still owe me a coffee since the whole confusing Cafe Nero incident with the till operator and the confused Rik.
    Speak for yourself on the emboldened point, Rik :p:

Hmm, as for coffee..till says no :p:

--------------

(Original post by Adhsur)
    I'll come along at some point too, if any of you dont mind Haven't met you yet Rhian!
    He might fork you too Be careful. Coffee with Rik stole my innocence.

ReputationRep:
    Speak for yourself on the emboldened point, Rik :p:

Hmm, as for coffee..till says no :p:

--------------

He might fork you too Be careful. Coffee with Rik stole my innocence.

Rhi, stop trying to scare people :p: Really, it wont be the case that everybody at your interview is in a totally different intellectual league to you. Especially don't be intimidated by those who spend the entire time talking about which journals they read/the multitudes of authors they have opinions on/the amount of jargon they know/anything else like that. I went into my philosophy interview having done one module in an AS level course on philosophy of religion and having read a book by a philosopher I found interesting, that was pretty much it. I got in over and above the guy who name-dropped various philosophers and their views for the entire time he was around, including in the actual essay, as if these superfluous facts made his argument any better.

Once again, Rhi, stop trying to scare people :p: - Rushda, we'll sort out a coffee shop visit sometime early-mid week along with Rhian? Any forking will be between Rhian and I, or more likely, Rhian's cheesecake and I.

Now, if you'll excuse me I have about 3 hours to bang out 2000-3000 words on verficiationism.

Oh and those people who PM'd me, I'll get back to you as soon as I've done this essay. And read 3 chapters of the Formal Logic book. And done the exercises from the book. And the further exercises on the sheet. Before 10am on Monday. Joy. Don't worry, it's not that bad, I just leave everything 'til the last minute because I am a fooooooool.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.