applemilk1992
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Liking the look of bristol as a uni - very reputable, good facilities etc. but i've never properly seen/experienced the city. What's it like to live in? my other main choices are glasgow and sheffield, which seem busier, more active, more to do etc. I come from manchester, which itself is very big and busy.

How do people find the city? Is nightlife good? I worry that coming from manchester, i'd find it a bit small and that there'd be not a lot to do...
You Failed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Watch Skins, they live in Bristol, it's obviously like that.
M1F2R3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bristol in two words... ****ing awesome.

Bristol has all of the usual shops and leisure activities as you would expect. If you like clubbing there are LOADS of places to choose from, Syndicate is known as the "Superclub" as it's ****ing massive. Bristol isn't small, I can't compare it to Manchester but I highly doubt you will hate it in Bristol.

There is always something to do.
mackemforever
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by applemilk1992)
Liking the look of bristol as a uni - very reputable, good facilities etc. but i've never properly seen/experienced the city. What's it like to live in? my other main choices are glasgow and sheffield, which seem busier, more active, more to do etc. I come from manchester, which itself is very big and busy.

How do people find the city? Is nightlife good? I worry that coming from manchester, i'd find it a bit small and that there'd be not a lot to do...
I'm not a student at the Uni but I did live in Bristol for pretty much all of my life before going to Uni, and I still live there between terms, so I'm probably qualified to help you out!

I don't know exactly what you're looking for in a city but it is a pretty busy place, plenty of stuff going on and with a lot of shopping available in the center if that is your thing.

As for the nightlife, I don't really like the nightlife because its a bit too chavvy for me however most of the time when I'm around it is between terms and so without many uni students, and so the Bristol chavs stand out more. The few times I've been out during term time it has been much better. There are a huge number of places to go and while it is expensive, it won't be any more expensive than Manchester.

Any more questions?
tufc
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I lived in Bristol for four months, living back in London now, and I know where I'd rather be...(Bristol btw) London isn't half the city it used to be, and I can't think of any other city to compete with the mix of vibrancy and intelligence that Bristol has. It's the best city in the UK IMO
Google15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I a A level Student whos lived in bristol his whole life , i agree with the people above in the sense that bristol is a vibrant city which has a lot of stuff going on so you wont get bored much .
But firstly for accomodation , its quite expensive especially if you want to live closer to the uni which is the more higher income regions of the city so there isnt much cheap accomadation around the city
The night-life is pretty good , but Syndicate is a not a "superclub" its actually pretty grimy and basically full of chavs ,and there isn't a whole lot of good clubs to my knowledge.
Bristol is an amazing University though , so you wont regret going there and bristol is like the perfect size city , in which its small enough to get around easily but still has loads of different shopping centres , cinemas and retail parks etc , and has a good size population ( about over 1/2 million)
Svenjamin
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ive lived in Bristol and Manchester, so for comparison...

Bristol isn't cosmopolitan like Manchester: less concrete and much leafier. The architecture and greenery make it feel like a large town rather than a city - It's really not very busy at all. It's not too small though, there's still plenty of shops, bars and clubs. Nightlife-wise, there's not as much choice as Manchester as it is a smaller city, but still plenty to places to go, and as with any student city a lot of events and club nights are directly aimed at students. Bristol is much more affluent than Manchester, so there's more boutiques and expensive shops. I like that Bristol has a lot of green park spaces in comparison to Manchester, it's a much nicer place to just hang out. There's quite a big counter-culture vibe around Bristol too, with all the graffiti and activist work (especially in Stokes Croft), gives the city a lot of character.

Only major downside of Bristol I found was that it doesn't have as many gig venues as Manchester (and doesn't have an arena venue at all). So if you're really into music you may find many bands don't visit Bristol, so it usually means going to Cardiff or London.
Iola :}
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bristol?

IT'S GURT LUSH
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Iola :})
Bristol?

IT'S GURT LUSH
As a bristolian i approve of this.
The Cornerstone
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by applemilk1992)

I'm not a student but I can tell you that Bristol is quite nice, it's a laid back and more relaxed city than the big busy ones such as Manchester and you have a wide variety of shops. Not sure about nightlife but I've been told that the music scene is quite popular. I would probably come back after uni as I've grown to love it.

Gert lush lol
Iola :}
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tommyjw)
As a bristolian i approve of this.
Why, Thank you Sir :chaplin:
KingofSpades
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
deadly
my9rides
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Im at UWE, and I have to say it is a great place to be. Its a nice atmosphere and there is always stuff going on. The only downside however, is that not many big/well known bands come and play here which is a bit irritating.
theths
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
this whole thread reminds me of this for some reason

here ends my contribution.
Cypriots
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Im coming from London to UWE next year.. so ill be living in Bristol.
I visited a couple weeks ago, found it quite "dead"? do things come alive at night (hoping).
Also whilst i was at Bristol i saw big groups of little chavvy hoodlums running around.. (coming from London i see a lot worse) but do the people of Bristol see these people as a threat? are they the "threat?" just curious..
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cypriots)
Im coming from London to UWE next year.. so ill be living in Bristol.
I visited a couple weeks ago, found it quite "dead"? do things come alive at night (hoping).
Also whilst i was at Bristol i saw big groups of little chavvy hoodlums running around.. (coming from London i see a lot worse) but do the people of Bristol see these people as a threat? are they the "threat?" just curious..
To answer these i'd need to know where you went?

Cannot comment on many other cities, but Bristol does seem to have quite a lot of 'chavvy kids'. I am going to say this though, the reason you saw so many is essentially because you were probably in the more popular areas. Cabot circus, broadmead, park street etc.

And where was it dead? The older parts of town are usually kinda dead, but i've never been to cabot on a weekend and it been dead.. so i dunno.
Cypriots
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tommyjw)
To answer these i'd need to know where you went?

Cannot comment on many other cities, but Bristol does seem to have quite a lot of 'chavvy kids'. I am going to say this though, the reason you saw so many is essentially because you were probably in the more popular areas. Cabot circus, broadmead, park street etc.

And where was it dead? The older parts of town are usually kinda dead, but i've never been to cabot on a weekend and it been dead.. so i dunno.
Went to visit Frenchay campus at UWE.
WilliamWJ
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cypriots)
Went to visit Frenchay campus at UWE.
The UWE campus is about 5 miles from the centre of Bristol, there will be vast differences in the people about. Bristol centre is never 'dead' for me.
Cypriots
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmm guess so. Guess ill have to wait until my next visit to explore more then
Tobiloba_xo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I plan to come for my masters to UWE as an international students. How is the search for job like over there in Bristol, as one of my priorities is to work alongside my schooling as will be fending for myself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (205)
57.58%
I don't have everything I need (151)
42.42%

Watched Threads