Media Studies passmark less than 15%?? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Apple
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Can anyone help. I'm having an argument with my friend. He says that the passmark for GCSE Maths with OCR last year (to get a grade C) was 50%. I say that's boll**ks that is. I say that to get a grade C, you had to get only 15% (fifteen!!!!).

Also, is it true that the Media Studies passmark for C grades at AS is less than 15%. I don't think it is even though it has a reputation for being the most pointless easy subject going. I think it is good and I want to do it next year with other dossy subjects like ICT and Psychology.
rah
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Apple)
Can anyone help. I'm having an argument with my friend. He says that the passmark for GCSE Maths with OCR last year (to get a grade C) was 50%. I say that's boll**ks that is. I say that to get a grade C, you had to get only 15% (fifteen!!!!).

Also, is it true that the Media Studies passmark for C grades at AS is less than 15%. I don't think it is even though it has a reputation for being the most pointless easy subject going. I think it is good and I want to do it next year with other dossy subjects like ICT and Psychology.
this has been discussed so many times but psych isnt easy, i found it harder than a level economics
Apple
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Have you seen how much coursework is on the web? How can anyone fail to do well if you do a course where there is so much "help" for your own coursework?

Orange
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
GCSE maths would depend on the paper... I took higher tier, and I think you needed about 35% to get a C (that was on edexcel). It would be higher for intermediate or foundation.

I also highly doubt that the AS media needs 15% for a C, otherwise there's no way that so many people in my class would have got Ds.
cobra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Apple)
It could be true, you had to get more than 15% i guess, and it depends whether you do higher in that case bout 40%, intermediate bout 70% or foundation u cant even egt a c, on foundation you cant even get a C.

I would say that possibly less than 50% got a C
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rah)
this has been discussed so many times but psych isnt easy, i found it harder than a level economics
I doubt my friends who do A Level psych would appreciate you calling it easy. Every single one of them who took the A2 exam on Friday thought they'd be resiting it in the summer.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I thought AS and A2 was 60% for a C.
rah
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
I doubt my friends who do A Level psych would appreciate you calling it easy. Every single one of them who took the A2 exam on Friday thought they'd be resiting it in the summer.
i said it wasn't.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
It could be true, you had to get more than 15% i guess, and it depends whether you do higher in that case bout 40%, intermediate bout 70% or foundation u cant even egt a c, on foundation you cant even get a C.

I would say that possibly less than 50% got a C
I did foundation tear Double Award Science and a got two C's.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rah)
i said it wasn't.
I know. I was talking to the person above you- i.e. I was agreeing with you.
cobra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I'm talking about maths
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I did foundation shortcourse french and got a C. I'm sure you can get a C in foundation papers.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
I'm talking about maths
I'm pretty sure that the highest you can get in foundation maths is a C. It's an A in higher and a B in intermediate, so it'd make sense.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm pretty sure that the highest you can get in foundation maths is a C. It's an A in higher and a B in intermediate, so it'd make sense.
You can get a C in Maths foundation but you have to get somthing like 98% to get it. Very very few people ever get a C in Foundation, I would say its probably zero.

I did intermediate and only managed a D.
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You can't get a C on the foundation paper for maths...
pudniw
Report 15 years ago
Just noticed in the Sunday Times today (I usually buy the Sport!!).

At the top of Page 7 in the main section - Maths GCSE with the higher tier: the passmark was a massive 15%!!!! (OCR exam board).

I think they should fail drongos who get less than 50% because it is in danger of turning the Maths GCSE into a joke course.

Talking of which, there was no mention of Media Studies or Psychology in the article.

Here's a question: Which GCSE has got the lowest % you need for a grade C? The same could be asked for AS and A level. WIll Media Studies or ICT or Psychology feature in the results???

We wait!
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by pudniw)
Just noticed in the Sunday Times today (I usually buy the Sport!!).

At the top of Page 7 in the main section - Maths GCSE with the higher tier: the passmark was a massive 15%!!!! (OCR exam board).

I think they should fail drongos who get less than 50% because it is in danger of turning the Maths GCSE into a joke course.

Talking of which, there was no mention of Media Studies or Psychology in the article.

Here's a question: Which GCSE has got the lowest % you need for a grade C? The same could be asked for AS and A level. WIll Media Studies or ICT or Psychology feature in the results???

We wait!
I do media studies and it's not really easy to pass because otherwise why is more than 3/4's of my media class predicted at most a D? You have to do four courseworks in year 10 and a practical assignment in year 11 where you have to do product research, audience research, pratical brief, filiming editing, mix audio and loads of other stuff... Also I know from my friends you have to do a hell of a lot of coursework for ICT....
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1526)
79.27%
Leave (399)
20.73%

Watched Threads