The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shamzmix_34
Yeah it is, I hope I get in too, just failed my driving practical test yesterday so I need this to make me feel on the up and up again lol

sorry to hear you failed your driving test you can always put in for again Shamzmix_34:smile:,i still havnt learned to drive,never got around to it maybe one day i will.
I have also applied to a different college to the one i am currently studying,they just told me when i phoned the other college up after receiving postal confirmation they recieved my application, if i also want to do a GCSE along side the access diploma, i have to make a separate application for it? i was like what the :mad: Shamzmix_34 but just means i have to fill in another application.I dont know why when u apply to these courses u just cant make one single application and be done with it.I also wish u all the best Shamzmix_34 with all ur college applications m8
Reply 21
Original post by wizardtop

sorry to hear you failed your driving test you can always put in for again Shamzmix_34:smile:,i still havnt learned to drive,never got around to it maybe one day i will.
I have also applied to a different college to the one i am currently studying,they just told me when i phoned the other college up after receiving postal confirmation they recieved my application, if i also want to do a GCSE along side the access diploma, i have to make a separate application for it? i was like what the :mad: Shamzmix_34 but just means i have to fill in another application.I dont know why when u apply to these courses u just cant make one single application and be done with it.I also wish u all the best Shamzmix_34 with all ur college applications m8

Yeah it's never too late to pass your driving test, I attended my 2nd access to medicine college assessment at City & Islington, I came out quite good in the end and felt I did well in the interview, the day before my mate unfortunately didn't gain entry to the course because he missed it by one mark (26 , suppose to get minimum 27 out of 40) so I knew that was their cut off score, if all goes best this college feels like the one I hope to attend though I have yet to decide on Lambeth if I get in.

It is a bit stupid having to make two separate applications, shouldn't they have a space to add more choices on the application form, well just hang in there and pop another in the post, should turn out the way you want it in the end.
Reply 22
anyone get offers from c&i or lambeth yet?
Reply 23
Original post by apoci
anyone get offers from c&i or lambeth yet?

I have to attend an interview on May 19th at Lambeth College, I did my assessment on the Feb 10th, I think after this the decision's should be made.

C & I told me that they would get back to me in 2 weeks time, I hope I got in if so I need to start revising on my UKCAT as if you get below 600, the college won't support you application for Med/Dentistry at University and you can't apply independently.
Reply 24
I was wondering whether with these access courses, would it be possible to do a foundation year of medicine?

Im asking this because although the interviewer at C&I confirmed that many people go off the uni after the course, she didnt clarify that they progressed onto Medicine or Dentistry. Maybe i'm being paranoid.

But yea, i hope i get into lambeth, got an interview on the 19th aswell.
Reply 25
To be honest only a few people make it into Medicine/Dentistry from such courses at these two colleges, reason being they are so competitive and you can imagine the caliber of A-level students applying with their 10 A* and 4 A* at A-level.

They spoke about it at C & I more than Lambeth did when I went for their assessments, St.Georges University of London specifically speaks about Lambeth's access to medicine as a route into their 6 year foundation in Medicine degree prospectus page.

Apart from that I can't tell you much more apart from Queen Mary accepting C & I access to medicine students onto their Biomedical Science degrees which also allow for you if you do really well to gain a conditional offer on GEP Medicine at their university after you complete you BS.
Reply 26
so how many universites in the country accept the access course when applying for medicine?
yea your right, the lambeth course is more recognised by universities and is alot different from the one at c&i.
Reply 27
brighton uni accepts the access course from both colleges.
Reply 28
southampton uni accepts access course from both colleges aswell.

its clear that alot of universities accept the qualification but how many access students do they take every year?
that is the real question.
Reply 29
newcastle uni accepts both access courses aswell, and im gonna be contacting these unis tomorrow and ask if they do take at least one access student every year.
Reply 30
Just spoke to King's, you need to have been out of education 5 years prior to starting the access to medicine course to apply for their 5 year MBBS, or you need to have been to a state school since age of 11 in London which is good for me, I can only apply for this route.
Reply 31
I attended the assessment day on 10/02/11 and at first it seemed that their were at least 100 people from all age groups lined up across the wall of the main entrance. The people seated at the reception area confirm your name and course and provide a sticker and room number.

10 mins later we were all called in well those looking to study Access to Medicine/Dentistry and Medical Sciences and split again into those studying different access courses.

We were then taken to a biology room, split into two groups as it was a large group and told we would have from 5:10pm to 7:00pm for two assessments, the maths and the literacy as you may already know. I can tell you now that everyone was in shock in the room when they saw how difficult the maths was, I myself am not brilliant and I knew it would be better for me to start on the literacy test first.

The first question was "choose a topic of your choice and write an essay on it" they provided two pages of lined paper in the booklet to do so, The woman came round the tables whilst we were getting on with this and she was suprised to see I had started my literacy test, turns out I was meant to do the maths first but she said it was okay. The next piece of the English assessment was on HPV (virus) taken from Cancer Research UK, we were asked to answer questions relevant to the text.

I then turned to my maths and it was at first basic questions, 283.34 - 323.45 = x etc etc then it started to get harder and not at all basic. There was a sub section called Maths applied to Medical practice and the question were getting much more harder. They wanted the ratio of ml and mg of two drugs however the wording is quite hard to understand and I have decent A-levels in English. the maths was out of 20 marks, and the applied to medicine was out of 10 or 20 can't remember.

I did notice that when the woman called out that it was time to start on the literacy (remember I went the other way round lol) she took everyones maths and was marking this.

At the end of the test the head of Science and another lady were very blunt in saying that the Maths was particulary poor amongst the group, the highest mark being 15 (i hadn't yet had mine marked so I dont know) and that it was unlikley that anyone would be called in for medicine as you need from 18 - 20 in the maths. She said everyone should look towards other professions in Medical Science - Nursing, etc and I will tell you now people were upset one guy gave the reason for poor marks to not having time to recap on things as being adults we have not done such things in a long time.

The woman at the front merely aknowledged this and asked for feedback, I gather this to be unprofessional as they should have done this prior to giving out the assessments.

So everyone started to leave the room when I came across someone I spoke to earlier, I asked him what he wrote for his essay in the literacy exam and he said "smoking, what did you do?" I replied with my own one, he had an odd expression on his face and said "the essay was on the board everyone did the same one" !!!!!!****!!!!!! I ran up and spoke to the young girl at the front, she was assisting the main woman and told her that for my literacy test I wrote my own essay, she was laffing and I couldn't help but not join in lol! :colondollar:
Apparently it was okay as they were testing our essay writing skills and the marker would be the other woman as she was an A-level English teacher in the sixth form. She asked me what I wrote my piece on and it was "does social status affect educational attainment" (I got B for sociology lol!) so I knew I did a good piece she said it was fine and would be interested in reading it.

Well at least I stood out and haven't yet been told I will not gain entry as they haven't yet marked my paper. We have to wait 2-3 weeks for our results and if you havent passed you will being given 5 choices , progression diploma level 1, 2 , access to nursing ect ect just not Medicine or Dentistry.

I hope I did well and that they call me in for an interview, I read on several other posts of how people went to Lambeth with no assessments or interviews, I rekon it was a load of *******s, Just waiting on City & Islington College now.

can u please tell me the assesment what was like Lambeth College Access to Medicine.
Reply 32
I attended the assessment day on 10/02/11 and at first it seemed that their were at least 100 people from all age groups lined up across the wall of the main entrance. The people seated at the reception area confirm your name and course and provide a sticker and room number.

10 mins later we were all called in well those looking to study Access to Medicine/Dentistry and Medical Sciences and split again into those studying different access courses.

We were then taken to a biology room, split into two groups as it was a large group and told we would have from 5:10pm to 7:00pm for two assessments, the maths and the literacy as you may already know. I can tell you now that everyone was in shock in the room when they saw how difficult the maths was, I myself am not brilliant and I knew it would be better for me to start on the literacy test first.

The first question was "choose a topic of your choice and write an essay on it" they provided two pages of lined paper in the booklet to do so, The woman came round the tables whilst we were getting on with this and she was suprised to see I had started my literacy test, turns out I was meant to do the maths first but she said it was okay. The next piece of the English assessment was on HPV (virus) taken from Cancer Research UK, we were asked to answer questions relevant to the text.

I then turned to my maths and it was at first basic questions, 283.34 - 323.45 = x etc etc then it started to get harder and not at all basic. There was a sub section called Maths applied to Medical practice and the question were getting much more harder. They wanted the ratio of ml and mg of two drugs however the wording is quite hard to understand and I have decent A-levels in English. the maths was out of 20 marks, and the applied to medicine was out of 10 or 20 can't remember.

I did notice that when the woman called out that it was time to start on the literacy (remember I went the other way round lol) she took everyones maths and was marking this.

At the end of the test the head of Science and another lady were very blunt in saying that the Maths was particulary poor amongst the group, the highest mark being 15 (i hadn't yet had mine marked so I dont know) and that it was unlikley that anyone would be called in for medicine as you need from 18 - 20 in the maths. She said everyone should look towards other professions in Medical Science - Nursing, etc and I will tell you now people were upset one guy gave the reason for poor marks to not having time to recap on things as being adults we have not done such things in a long time.

The woman at the front merely aknowledged this and asked for feedback, I gather this to be unprofessional as they should have done this prior to giving out the assessments.

So everyone started to leave the room when I came across someone I spoke to earlier, I asked him what he wrote for his essay in the literacy exam and he said "smoking, what did you do?" I replied with my own one, he had an odd expression on his face and said "the essay was on the board everyone did the same one" !!!!!!****!!!!!! I ran up and spoke to the young girl at the front, she was assisting the main woman and told her that for my literacy test I wrote my own essay, she was laffing and I couldn't help but not join in lol! :colondollar:
Apparently it was okay as they were testing our essay writing skills and the marker would be the other woman as she was an A-level English teacher in the sixth form. She asked me what I wrote my piece on and it was "does social status affect educational attainment" (I got B for sociology lol!) so I knew I did a good piece she said it was fine and would be interested in reading it.

Well at least I stood out and haven't yet been told I will not gain entry as they haven't yet marked my paper. We have to wait 2-3 weeks for our results and if you havent passed you will being given 5 choices , progression diploma level 1, 2 , access to nursing ect ect just not Medicine or Dentistry.

I hope I did well and that they call me in for an interview, I read on several other posts of how people went to Lambeth with no assessments or interviews, I rekon it was a load of *******s, Just waiting on City & Islington College now.

can u please tell me the assesment what was like Lambeth College Access to Medicine.
anyone remember the qustions ? please tell me about easy what choise they give u ?
Reply 33
Original post by tanya1
anyone remember the qustions ? please tell me about easy what choise they give u ?

Essay was on smoking and the effects of smoking for my group and the text we had to answer questions on was about HPV virus from the macmillian cancer trust.

The maths was out of 20 and extra 8 question of maths related to medical practice
Reply 34

x

Shamzmix thanks for posting about your experience. I'm glad now that I didn't go to the Assessment session, I actually withdrew from Lambeth, Manchester, City &Islington and Sussex Downs because I already got accepted to College of West Anglia a2m (my personal preference, nothing against the others).

I realise Lambeth want to accept only people who can get into Med school after, but as adults who have generally been away from Maths and assessments for some time, how can they expect you to answer drip rates & complex equations etc? No wonder everyone was pissed off, and I hope you all left feedback saying how off-putting it was...because given the chance to re-learn you'd all ace that test.

The whole point of Access is to refresh your academics, and prepare as adults from varying academic backgrounds to get into your chosen subject. Shouldn't be expected to know it all already!
Reply 35
Original post by apoci

Original post by apoci
southampton uni accepts access course from both colleges aswell.

its clear that alot of universities accept the qualification but how many access students do they take every year?
that is the real question.

I agree, it's definitely an issue. For example, UEA stopped accepting as many Access students quite recently, and when I was interviewed at College of West Anglia they actually said "You will all make friends, but you must remember you're in competition with each other"...for example if all a2m students applied to the same Uni's the acceptance rate would be much lower
Reply 36
Original post by Cityshy
Shamzmix thanks for posting about your experience. I'm glad now that I didn't go to the Assessment session, I actually withdrew from Lambeth, Manchester, City &Islington and Sussex Downs because I already got accepted to College of West Anglia a2m (my personal preference, nothing against the others).

I realise Lambeth want to accept only people who can get into Med school after, but as adults who have generally been away from Maths and assessments for some time, how can they expect you to answer drip rates & complex equations etc? No wonder everyone was pissed off, and I hope you all left feedback saying how off-putting it was...because given the chance to re-learn you'd all ace that test.

The whole point of Access is to refresh your academics, and prepare as adults from varying academic backgrounds to get into your chosen subject. Shouldn't be expected to know it all already!

If I'm honest in London especially with the two colleges I applied to, Lambeth and City & Islington it is all about statistics, they will not gamble with anyone they think might not make it and I believe that is a incorrect way of thinking, that just takes away their mission statements on their adults prospectuses on theirs sites. The assessment is vigorous for obvious reasons where the potential applicant needs to be able to handle the course content however outright rejection like the way many of those around me had was a bit piss taking.

For example I went to my assessment for City & Islington college in their access to medicine and the woman stressed that it is the colleges decision after seeing you UKCAT results to accept you for applying to Medicine after your course and their decision is final and is non-negotiable and that if you were to apply as a private applicant through UCAS the college will not accept that and support your application.

I just hope I did well enough to get in, it's good to hear you got into the right college for you and too be honest I would have applied for that very same course however I have family commitments and sometimes its not worth giving up so much for something that I could have potentially done closer to home. Your's is the only access course UCL accept for their entry on to medicine so I hopefully you get in!
Reply 37

If I'm honest in London especially with the two colleges I applied to, Lambeth and City & Islington it is all about statistics, they will not gamble with anyone they think might not make it and I believe that is a incorrect way of thinking, that just takes away their mission statements on their adults prospectuses on theirs sites. The assessment is vigorous for obvious reasons where the potential applicant needs to be able to handle the course content however outright rejection like the way many of those around me had was a bit piss taking.

For example I went to my assessment for City & Islington college in their access to medicine and the woman stressed that it is the colleges decision after seeing you UKCAT results to accept you for applying to Medicine after your course and their decision is final and is non-negotiable and that if you were to apply as a private applicant through UCAS the college will not accept that and support your application.

I just hope I did well enough to get in, it's good to hear you got into the right college for you and too be honest I would have applied for that very same course however I have family commitments and sometimes its not worth giving up so much for something that I could have potentially done closer to home. Your's is the only access course UCL accept for their entry on to medicine so I hopefully you get in!

Thanks Shamzmix, I'm really happy about it, but that was without assessment etc, was just interview, check of experience and academics...I got offered the place during the interview, which happened to quite a few people, but did not happen to others. At COWA they deliberately accept more people than necessary to run the course, because many drop out unable to handle the pressure. They warn you how intense it is, and that even with distinctions in all subjects you won't get into Med without previous good grades and experience. So despite getting in easily...I don't expect the course to be easy, and the competition, even during the course apparently is intense too.

I understand why Access courses only want to accept people who are viable to Med school afterward, but I think it's good that us adults from varying backgrounds have the opportunity to re-learn some things. It's such a great opportunity. With your family commitments of course you can't be expected to go far away, and good on you staying true to your family =) I wish you all the best of luck with Lambeth and your other choices, and I'm sure your results will be excellent.
Reply 38
Original post by Cityshy
Thanks Shamzmix, I'm really happy about it, but that was without assessment etc, was just interview, check of experience and academics...I got offered the place during the interview, which happened to quite a few people, but did not happen to others. At COWA they deliberately accept more people than necessary to run the course, because many drop out unable to handle the pressure. They warn you how intense it is, and that even with distinctions in all subjects you won't get into Med without previous good grades and experience. So despite getting in easily...I don't expect the course to be easy, and the competition, even during the course apparently is intense too.

I understand why Access courses only want to accept people who are viable to Med school afterward, but I think it's good that us adults from varying backgrounds have the opportunity to re-learn some things. It's such a great opportunity. With your family commitments of course you can't be expected to go far away, and good on you staying true to your family =) I wish you all the best of luck with Lambeth and your other choices, and I'm sure your results will be excellent.

Thanks and wow, no assessments lol pretty shocked at that to be honest as it is probably "thee" best for it's access to medicine course, let me know how the course content is when you start, it's great their giving people a chance and I'm sure you will do excellent at your time there.
Reply 39

Thanks and wow, no assessments lol pretty shocked at that to be honest as it is probably "thee" best for it's access to medicine course, let me know how the course content is when you start, it's great their giving people a chance and I'm sure you will do excellent at your time there.

Yes I thought it was pretty strange too. Thanks Shamzmix, you seem a very decent person and dedicated to medicine as well as your family, which must be tough at times. I keep telling myself that although there are no guarantees about getting into Med straight after Access, or ever, I still say to myself that it's about 'when' not 'if', we will get in if we keep trying long enough. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending