Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering as if anybody knew which courses gave out typical offers of AAB instead of AAA. It says in the prospectus that the course for which I have applied (Maths at Wadham) has a typical offer of AAA/AAB, so does anybody know under what circumstances the AAB offer is given?

ReputationRep:
    Its the same with Modern Languages - and I reckon they'd give you a AAB if you were applying to study French and were doing French, Eng Lit and Physics or something. Either that or they love you! Good luck with the app....hope to see you at Wadham one day!!!

ReputationRep:
    Maths offers are almost always AAA these days

ReputationRep:
    I dont know, but having seen people at my school who got offers last years, those with relatively weak a/s grades like aaab/aabb (who were good enough for their subjects) usually got AAB offers

ReputationRep:
    How did Oxford know they got that in their AS levels?
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I was told by St John's that all their offers are now AAA.

ReputationRep:
    "exceptional circumstances" i believe for AAB, so you probably won't get it

whoever you are

ReputationRep:
    I think they are phasing out AAB - they hardly ever give it out as an offer now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma.....)
    How did Oxford know they got that in their AS levels?
    :confused:
    because the applicant put it on their UCAS form

ReputationRep:
    AAA would be the standard offer with AAB in the rare occasion. Very rare it seems.

ReputationRep:
    I got in with ABBB, including a B in my subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anycon)
    I got in with ABBB, including a B in my subject.
    Wow, they recently gave you a conditional offer with ABBB?

There's hope at the end of the tunnel!

ReputationRep:
    My viola teacher got in to read theology with an offer of EE!! :eek: That was a long time ago though Well, about a decade ago!

ReputationRep:
    EE is Oxford's version of an unconditional offer
    It doesn't mean they actually expect you to get two Es

ReputationRep:
    EEs were standard until 1995 I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Er, obviously :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    There is the old story of the person who got an EE offer, celbrated and did no work for his A Levels, and got results around the EE level. Then got to Oxford and they b*llocked him so much for not working...

ReputationRep:
    My tutor told me that when he took his undergraduate degree here, all offers were EE if you passed the university's entrance exam (and this was only about 10 years ago!). Exam must have been quite hard though....
    When I got my offer (for 2003) I knew quite a few people who had AAB offers, mine was AAB as well, but now it seems that most offers are AAA.

ReputationRep:
    Ah OK. You learn something new everyday. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I do know people who got AAB offers. If anything though, these were'nt the poeple who they thought might not get three As, but the people they really wanted. And anyway it is quite rare, so if you do get an offer it is most likely to be AAA.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.