Features:

3.0-megapixel sensor captures enough detail to create prints up to 11 x 14
3x optical plus 2x digital zoom lens (for 6x total) with autofocus
Stores photos on 16 MB XD card--12 images at fine and 26 images at normal
Connects to PCs via USB port
Powered by 2 AA alkaline batteries (included)--rechargeables recommended

A310
Features:

3.1 megapixel sensor captures enough detail to create photo-quality 8 x 10 prints and medium-quality prints up to 11 x 14
4th Generation Super CCD HR sensor with delivers 6 million recorded pixels through interpolation
3x optical zoom lens with autofocus
Includes 16 MB XD memory card
Powered by 2 AA batteries (alkalines included, rechargeables recommended); connects to PCs and Macs via USB 1.1

---

So looks like A310 is .1 megapixels better.

But the memory card sounds a bit rubbish- only 12 fine or 26 normal images?! I'm sure you could get a bigger memory card additionally for a reasonable price, which I think would be worthwhile.
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
A303
Features:

3.0-megapixel sensor captures enough detail to create prints up to 11 x 14
3x optical plus 2x digital zoom lens (for 6x total) with autofocus
Stores photos on 16 MB XD card--12 images at fine and 26 images at normal
Connects to PCs via USB port
Powered by 2 AA alkaline batteries (included)--rechargeables recommended

A310
Features:

3.1 megapixel sensor captures enough detail to create photo-quality 8 x 10 prints and medium-quality prints up to 11 x 14
4th Generation Super CCD HR sensor with delivers 6 million recorded pixels through interpolation
3x optical zoom lens with autofocus
Includes 16 MB XD memory card
Powered by 2 AA batteries (alkalines included, rechargeables recommended); connects to PCs and Macs via USB 1.1

---

So looks like A310 is .1 megapixels better.

But the memory card sounds a bit rubbish- only 12 fine or 26 normal images?! I'm sure you could get a bigger memory card additionally for a reasonable price, which I think would be worthwhile.
Looks like the A310 it is. Morgan seems to be amazingly good value. I've been looking for the catch... lol.

Yeah, I will get a 64Mb card for the moment, and probably a 256Mb or 512Mb later when I get some more cash. Probably after I've done a bit of work in the summer.

Thanks again everyone!
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
Hi,

I've decided I am going to buy a new digital camera. I don't really want to spend more than £150 (I could stretch to £200 if it was really worth it), but I'm not really up-to-speed on the latest models. I'm hoping someone here might be...

I basically want as many megapixels as I can get on the aforementioned budget (probably not more than 3?) and obviously a good camera from other points of view too, but it will only be for amateur photography, none of that manual stuff I wouldn't think. Any advice on models to avoid or particularly good ones...?

Thanks,
Hi Rich, I just bought a digital camera today.

Even though I could afford a top one I deliberately kept my budget at £60... because the £100+ cameras give needless stupidly big photos with their top resolution. That said I got a 2.1m megapixels one cos the one below was gone, you never need more than a resolution of 1.3m. Above £100 it's all needless gimmicks, you can get top quality with a £100 one.

Mine is a Jenoptik 2.1 with 4x zoom, 8MB memory. Before this I had a £25 one - awful quality but fun - webcam, video cam and digicam all in one.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jools)

Even though I could afford a top one I deliberately kept my budget at £60... because the £100+ cameras give needless stupidly big photos with their top resolution. That said I got a 2.1m megapixels one cos the one below was gone, you never need more than a resolution of 1.3m. Above £100 it's all needless gimmicks, you can get top quality with a £100 one.

Mine is a Jenoptik 2.1 with 4x zoom, 8MB memory. Before this I had a £25 one - awful quality but fun - webcam, video cam and digicam all in one.
Where did you get your new camera from? I want one but I am on a tight budget I cant afford to spend more than £70
Dickie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
amazon have a Canon Powershot A60 for a very reasonable price. It it the little brother of the A70, probably the best consumer camera you can get for £250. The A60 is the same, but with 2 megapixels, instead of 3.

If you wanna read some good reviews, have a gander at http://www.imaging-resource.com/
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
...you never need more than a resolution of 1.3m. Above £100 it's all needless gimmicks, you can get top quality with a £100 one...
If you consider full manual control a needless gimmick, fair enough. And 1.3 megapixels is never enough for decent prints, or if you want to do anything with them, eg stitch some together for panoramas. Cheaper cameras dont have as good macro or zoom capabilities either.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i have the sony dsc-P10, it's amazing- it 5 mega pixels, 3x zoom + came with 32MB (although we bought another bigger one)... it's so lovely, but no idea how much it is as it's a fairly high-tech piece + is pretty new... *has remembered that she hasn't uploaded photos from holiday yet*

lou xxx
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
i have the sony dsc-P10, it's amazing- it 5 mega pixels, 3x zoom + came with 32MB (although we bought another bigger one)... it's so lovely, but no idea how much it is as it's a fairly high-tech piece + is pretty new... *has remembered that she hasn't uploaded photos from holiday yet*

lou xxx
At least £400 probably, Sony cameras are expensive.
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
At least £400 probably, Sony cameras are expensive.
i recommend Nikon - very good brand and invariably very good digital cameras
Rich
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dickie)
amazon have a Canon Powershot A60 for a very reasonable price. It it the little brother of the A70, probably the best consumer camera you can get for £250. The A60 is the same, but with 2 megapixels, instead of 3.

If you wanna read some good reviews, have a gander at http://www.imaging-resource.com/
Yes, this morning I was pretty much set on the Fujifilm A310, but since then I've read some less-than-brilliant reviews regarding it, especially the noise levels. I'm now veering more towards the Canon Powershot A70, which seems to have good reviews everywhere you turn. BTW, I've found the A70 for about £200 (http://www.ebuyer.co.uk). I also like all of the manual options it has, which the A310 distinctly lacks.
Rich
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jools)

I see your POV, but if ever I'm going to buy something like this (which is quite rarely), I like to go for a very good one, which is going to last. I don't think the pictures are needlessly big on a 3 megapixel camera (perhaps on a 4/5 megapixel one, you might argue that), however it's all relative. Also, I'm interested in having manual control (such as is available on the Canon Powershot A70), which you can't get for less than £200, let alone £100. It depends entirely what you are going to do with it, I agree a £50 model is sufficient for messing around with, but I would like to use it for more than that at some stage.
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
Yes, this morning I was pretty much set on the Fujifilm A310, but since then I've read some less-than-brilliant reviews regarding it, especially the noise levels. I'm now veering more towards the Canon Powershot A70, which seems to have good reviews everywhere you turn. BTW, I've found the A70 for about £200 (http://www.ebuyer.co.uk). I also like all of the manual options it has, which the A310 distinctly lacks.
ive not seen them that cheap before!

remember you need a bigger CF card, some rechargable batteries and ideally a carry case, which all add to the price.

Unless of course you already have them.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.57%
No (239)
33.43%

Watched Threads