The Student Room Group

Improving GCSE Grades

Hi,

I achieved 2A*s and 8A's and am really worried that this will ruin my chances of getting into a top uni. Could you suggest some easy GCSE's for me to take this year (AS Year). I am Taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Economics.

I am currently considering statistics and additional maths in addition to re-taking my A in Maths. Also, if i re took my maths gcse, would universities see this?

Thanks
Reply 1
I believe they can see if you retake them. And more importantly, I don't see the point. If resitting GCSEs means you have less time to work on your AS levels you may hinder your chances even more. If I were you, I'd concentrate on getting A's in you current AS subjects. Plus 2 A*s and 8A's are pretty solid.

But If you really wanted to up your A* count, I would say Core Science, Citizenship and possibly history could be easyish to get an A* in.

Original post by YogiBear123
Hi,

I achieved 2A*s and 8A's and am really worried that this will ruin my chances of getting into a top uni. Could you suggest some easy GCSE's for me to take this year (AS Year). I am Taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Economics.

I am currently considering statistics and additional maths in addition to re-taking my A in Maths. Also, if i re took my maths gcse, would universities see this?

Thanks
Original post by Ears
I believe they can see if you retake them. And more importantly, I don't see the point. If resitting GCSEs means you have less time to work on your AS levels you may hinder your chances even more. If I were you, I'd concentrate on getting A's in you current AS subjects. Plus 2 A*s and 8A's are pretty solid.

But If you really wanted to up your A* count, I would say Core Science, Citizenship and possibly history could be easyish to get an A* in.

Wouldn't getting an A* in Citizenship the same as getting an A in General Studies AS or A level (if that's possible)? I mean, you have obtained a top grade, but the subject isn't very well respected nonetheless.

But in my opinion, I don't see why you should retake any GCSEs, OP. 2 A*s and 8 As is good... Your minimum grade are As which is excellent :smile:
Your grades are great, there's no need to retake any :smile: If you want to do a new one just for experience though, I'd take a language. Some colleges do intense courses which take you from beginners' to GCSE standard in about a year, I'd recommend that :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Wouldn't getting an A* in Citizenship the same as getting an A in General Studies AS or A level (if that's possible)? I mean, you have obtained a top grade, but the subject isn't very well respected nonetheless.

But in my opinion, I don't see why you should retake any GCSEs, OP. 2 A*s and 8 As is good... Your minimum grade are As which is excellent :smile:

Yeah I guess so, but Universities rarely ask for A*s in specific GCSEs. They just count up the total you have.
depends on the uni/course you're applying to

i'm at cambridge and only got slightly better GCSE grades than you, i know a fair number of people here with worse.

some universities seem to put more emphasis on them. personally i don't see the point of wasting time trying to get another couple of A*s. work your arse off and get decent AS grades instead
(edited 13 years ago)
My GCSEs: A*AAABBBC. Don't bother
Plus, I highly doubt universities will look at any GCSEs taken later on than the rest.

I suggest you focus on your AS levels, and read around the subject you want to do A LOT.
If you average is a high B/low A they won't care. Many require B in English but nothing else. I know a person who got 3A* 3A 3B 1C 1G. Got into pembroke, Cambridge.
Jesus Christ...
Reply 9
I do Math, Biology and Chemistry too! :smile: I'd also recommend concentration on AS rather than redo GCSEs, the unis also look at the UMS you got in your modules at AS.
The only thing could be if you want to do medicine then some unis use GCSE grades as a first hurdle, like queens award 4 points for A* and 3 points for A and then the UKCAT +1 in in each section if u gte above average -1 if u get below and they ask for 34points. So u would have 29 points without UKCAT ( they take top 9) so just fall short if u have full marks in UKCAT. But I have no idea how the accept retaken GCSEs, also the system could change. There is more weight on the AS. :smile:
Original post by YogiBear123
Hi,

Thanks

Please bless me with your awesomeness:rock:

Quick Reply

Latest