The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
dysthymic
Just wondering why GEP is harder than actual medicine?
Is it to do with the fact that there are less spaces or is that you are accomplishing 5 year's work in 4 years?
Just enquiring although hopefull I will get in this time round (fingers crossed)! :P

The high number of applicants for very small number of places, however in saying that there are going to be more GEP places available in the future as it increases diversity at med school. I am not bothered by the work load or financial side, why should that be a barrier, if i have to live as a poor student or have a £50,000 debt then so be it to achieve my life long ambition. I could join the army, its worth it in worst case scenerio.
Reply 21
dysthymic
Is it to do with the fact that there are less spaces or is that you are accomplishing 5 year's work in 4 years?
Just enquiring although hopefull I will get in this time round (fingers crossed)! :P

Far more competitive from what I hear.
Reply 22
I got rejected from everywhere in 2003, so I reapplied for 2004 entry and got 1 rejection.

I used the same application form - same PS, same reference so just goes to show how random med school entry can be!
Reply 23
dysthymic

Much more competative.

GEP tends to have anywhere between 40 and 80 applicants PER PLACE (compared to 6-15 per place for 5 year medicine as a school leaver).

GEP is paid in years 2, 3 and 4 - the DH pay your fees and you get a bursary, which is what makes it more attractive than 5 year. Most people I know cited this as their main reason for applying to GEP, rather than the sorter qualification time.
Reply 24
Fluffy
I got rejected from everywhere in 2003, so I reapplied for 2004 entry and got 1 rejection.

I used the same application form - same PS, same reference so just goes to show how random med school entry can be!
That really is quite worrying, did you apply to the same med schools both times?

-------------
Having been to the biochem B'ham applicant day, there's no way I could do that [it seems boring & unsociable & it's like you finally discover something but then sell it to a company, you never get to see the effects and all the money is ploughed back into more scientific equipment:cool:] Practically everyone there was a med applicant, the professors spoke of people going onto GEP medicine which would be awesome but that's still 3 years of my life being confused and bored by medical biochem. Anyhow, unless they let me change my course there (to straight biology I think) I'd have to take a gap year and reapply. Arghh I have to do medicine...:frown:
Reply 25
Saffie
That really is quite worrying, did you apply to the same med schools both times?

Half and half.
Fluffy
Half and half.

Out of interest - which schools?
Reply 27
Im really worried, bout my application...Im currently studying Human Genetics at Notts, and it sucks not to mention about 2 thirds of the people on my course are failed medicine applicants. I didnt apply for medicine last year bcoz i was certain i wouldn't get the grades and then i went and got 5 A's and now im stuck here lol and they wont let me transfer wich i guess i expected. So ive now applied for 2006 medicine entry and have received no interview dates!!! WORRIED!
Reply 28
Joey12
Im really worried, bout my application...Im currently studying Human Genetics at Notts, and it sucks not to mention about 2 thirds of the people on my course are failed medicine applicants. I didnt apply for medicine last year bcoz i was certain i wouldn't get the grades and then i went and got 5 A's and now im stuck here lol and they wont let me transfer wich i guess i expected. So ive now applied for 2006 medicine entry and have received no interview dates!!! WORRIED!
Don't worry the large majority of med schools aren't handing out interviews yet! :smile: Wooow you're gonna get unconditional offers! *jealous*
Reply 29
Not if i completely FLUNK the interviews lol!
Reply 30
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give you a ll a bit of advice.
I applied to veterinary science back in 1999 and in 2000. The first time i got all rejections, no interviews and the second time i had 2 interviews but still got rejected (I did have work experience required and i got 3As at A level).

The whole experience was totally devestating for me. There is no explanation as to why you are rejected and the obvious conclusion to jump to is that you simply aren't good enough even though you have done everything they asked of you.

Please, if you do get rejected from everywhere try to remember that it is not the end of the world. The unis get so many applicants luck is definately involved. The admissions people don't know you or your qualities.

Also make sure you take some time out and are thinking straight before deciding what to do instead. I didn't and made a bad decision about what degree to do instead.

At the end of the day life doesn't often turn out how we plan or expect it. There will be other things that you can do well and enjoy doing.
Reply 31
sallyann
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give you a ll a bit of advice.
I applied to veterinary science back in 1999 and in 2000. The first time i got all rejections, no interviews and the second time i had 2 interviews but still got rejected (I did have work experience required and i got 3As at A level).

The whole experience was totally devestating for me. There is no explanation as to why you are rejected and the obvious conclusion to jump to is that you simply aren't good enough even though you have done everything they asked of you.

Please, if you do get rejected from everywhere try to remember that it is not the end of the world. The unis get so many applicants luck is definately involved. The admissions people don't know you or your qualities.

Also make sure you take some time out and are thinking straight before deciding what to do instead. I didn't and made a bad decision about what degree to do instead.

At the end of the day life doesn't often turn out how we plan or expect it. There will be other things that you can do well and enjoy doing.
just out of wonder can I ask what you are doing now?
Reply 32
Hi,

i did a BSc in biochemistry and biological chemistry at Nottingham. I then did a MSc in equine science at Aberystwyth uni.

Now i am doing a PhD at Liverpool. Ironically i am working in the veterinary department but am 100% lab based. I won't say that i don't regret not being a vet but that's just the way life has turned out.
Reply 33
sallyann
At the end of the day life doesn't often turn out how we plan or expect it.

thanx for the advice... sounds scary .. even i havnt thot of what i would do if i got rejected from everywhere... frankly i dont want to think abt it ! :frown: :frown:

sounds like u have done really well sally :smile: a PhD cool !
ive already got an offer for biomed from sheffield which i'd probably take and then go for the graduate entry....but failing that a couple times at least...well im boned cause i dont really want to be a scientist but i wouldnt know what else to do.
oh crap, now im worried, id never considered the fact that graduate entry could fail....my world is shattered....why did i come on this thread...*dies* :frown:
Reply 35
I was rejected by all 4 last year and now i've ended up doing engineering...thinking back to those college days when i was hyped up about studying medicine...I really didnt understand how competitive it was and always thought i'd definately get an offer...how naive was i...
Goodluck to everyone applying this year
Reply 36
well i'm already on a forced gap year due to predicted grades of AAC so if i was to still get rejected AFTER applying with my grades than i couldnt take another year off to try again as couldnt take two years wasted. Was actually just thinkin about this today and decided that if i didnt get the grades or was rejected than theres nothing else that interests me scientifically so i would do an english language/literature degree than maybe a one year teaching course or something like that.
Reply 37
i would suggest the navy....sail the seven seas! :frown:
Reply 38
i'm not sure what i'd do, i might take a year out, get more w/e, but mainly travel france/russia/others and my second year backups would be french with russian ab initio
or possibly just med chem @ ucl if they like me in the interview :redface:
This thread has like, killed all my hope...:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending