Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yes they do! theres lots of people i do like, i just got a bit upset when my party i organised no1 turned up cept the ppl i can rely on in my flat and then i realsied the other ppl i can rely on and would consider good freinds are all at home! i think thats the problem last night lol. yep ill come on the tsr pub crawl, well ill try, but if its a monday then i probly cant but i might aswell lol. its not as bad as i first made out, i spose i just miss my friends! and my boyfriend n i have been together for more than 3 years and im not used to not being with him, so i spose that doesnt help my mood lol, but hes coming up next weekend

ReputationRep:
    Dare I suggest without getting accused of being the bad guy that maybe your expectations are a bit high.
    You're used to having best friends and a lovely little social group but uni isn't going to belike that after 2 months. You are still getting to know these people I don't know you so don't know if this applies to you but even maybe without realising it you might be putting a barrier between yourself and your future friends and flatmates by hankering after your usual life a bit too much.

They probably wanted to go to the pub and not have a house party. Why have a houseparty when you can meet loads of people and get pissed up on cheap student prices. Maybe you should adapt for a bit and always make an effort to do what they do for a bit and see what happens. Again I'm generalising because I don't have a clue whether this describes you to a T or not but I generally found that the people who had long distance boyfriends in my first year of uni were not people who I wanted to hang round with because their idea of a good time was going out and then spending the whole night once they'd had a few going on about their boyfriend and their mates and how much better their home life was and how much they missed it. not what your potential new friends want to hear at all. By second year either the long distance relationships had broken up or they were going home every weekend and didn't have uni lives at all. The people I lived with in the past who had relationships like that never used to go out because they'd rather spend the night waiting for the boyf to call or if he did call on anight out would drop you at amoments notice so you'd be stuck with your night ruined and be pissed off with them but then spent the rest of the time moaning about how noone at uni wanted to know them without having the insight to wonder why, and further more since uni most of themhave split with the bloke and have no mates from uni either.

However it doesn't have to be that way. I've had a few other mates who've managed successful LDRs and they've done that by pretty much keeping the two seperate. If you've been mates with someone for a while they don't mind you having the occassional blue day about how much they've been missing blokey and you are going to be supportive but you aren't if they are at it alll the time. They call their boyfs at night when they are in their rooms so it doesn't cut into their flatmate or friend time and they ended up with a really good social life and a good relationship too, if boyfriend comes up to stay for the weekend they'd have a night alone and a night out with friends so not completely seperate everyone gets to know blokey and they get invited out too. So in short what I'm saying is maybe they feel like you've put up barriers because of your home life and maybe you need to make more of an effort with them to put your life with them first when you are with them to get a better uni social life.

ReputationRep:
    i imagine this has all been suggested but:
    1. Go and see your doctor/student services/counselling services-they can help
    2.Go and see your course leader-if you're having problems they need to be aware so they can help
    3. No matter how tempting don't t stay in your room all day-go out, see people meet people
    4. try to get involved in things that interest you-clubs/socities/films etc
    5. Smile, and think its only a few weeks till xmas-soon you can go home and see your family and friends-you may find this boosts your spirits.
    6. Finally, and my most important advice-don't start drinking alone in your room when you feel down. I've done that alot in the past few weeks-it really isn't good

hope that helps, take care and good luck x

P.s Viviki has it down to a T..listen she gives good advice

ReputationRep:
    thank you, nah i wud never sit in my room and drink! i only social drink lol. im fine now lol just played medics netball, it enegised me lol, and we won go us lol. im always out, or trying to be wen im not working, its getting other ppl to leave their doors open etc thats the problem lol oh well life goes on im fine noiw thanks

ReputationRep:
    Are you in Durdham wednesbury?
    My first year at Durdham was HORRIBLE. My flat didn't really have anything in common and conversation rarely went beyond "hello", "how was your day" and "how are you." Three were returners who never went out and NO ONE wedged their door open. Made the mistake of not talking to enough people on the first night, not knocking on the flat opposite etc. Generally had a pretty s*** year. The course and my work were the only things keeping me going. I'm sure it's not that bad for you.
    I decided to come back and have the first year I never had and it couldn't be more awesome!! We go out every Friday together (often Wedgies lol), drink together, have random late night chats etc. If you find people not social enough, come over to Flat 41 (now with PS2 and 2 dance mats - there goes the degree..)

P.S. on a totally random point, you're not from Worcester are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    Hey, if your feeling low then perhaps meeting us on the tsr pub crawl will help

I know what you mean about "close" freinds. Some people have lots of less good freinds whereas other people prefer to have a small group of really good freinds.

I think it must be the same for alot of people going to uni, i personally back home had a small group of 5 freinds and we have all known each other well for about 7 years.

Its only when i came to uni that i realised good freinds don't just happen, good freinds have to be made and not found .
    best thing i have read on this forum for a long time.

as for the OP, you like your course so focus on that the first year and then find somewhere else to live next year. you are studdying for that degree i because you want to so you shouldn't let something like this bother you,i know it sounds a bit hard but you can try and make friends from somewhere else, you don't have to be with them just cause you live togheter.

ReputationRep:
    ur in durdham! cool yea im in flat 5! yea my flats pretty dead, but did have a great night at panache last night! woo i even got up for my 9am...wats ur real name? im nikki dont no if i know u! wierd! im not from worcster im from near birmingham. not far tho. yea its quite dead here but the block as a whole isnt, and i am enjoying it most the time lol. as for the girl who says i cud be the sort who goes ona bout my bf all the time, im not, i never fone him wen were out cus i just dont liek talking in public, and we have been together for more than 3 yrs and see him once every 4 weeks or so....so no im not always with him, im not like that atall i know how important friends are! thanks for advice anywaysa ll is gud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wednesburywench)
    ur in durdham! cool yea im in flat 5! yea my flats pretty dead, but did have a great night at panache last night! woo i even got up for my 9am...wats ur real name? im nikki dont no if i know u! wierd! im not from worcster im from near birmingham. not far tho. yea its quite dead here but the block as a whole isnt, and i am enjoying it most the time lol. as for the girl who says i cud be the sort who goes ona bout my bf all the time, im not, i never fone him wen were out cus i just dont liek talking in public, and we have been together for more than 3 yrs and see him once every 4 weeks or so....so no im not always with him, im not like that atall i know how important friends are! thanks for advice anywaysa ll is gud
    Nikki, you're always welcome up here!

Amd Xcerces...you're Leon aren't you?! I think we've met!

ReputationRep:
    yea i know thanks sian woo im always up there anyways aint i! hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sian01)
    Nikki, you're always welcome up here!

Amd Xcerces...you're Leon aren't you?! I think we've met!
    You've got it sounding right, but wrong first letter - it's Dion. I think I've spoken to you twice for about 10 seconds (once in the bar by the pool table in first week, and the other time at Roo Bar on the St Trinian's bar crawl). Both times I've been whisked off somewhere else by my flatmates/flat next door before I got a chance to talk to you!

Isn't susiemakemeblue in Durdham as well? Do you all know each other? lol. seems I'm missing out!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wednesburywench)
    hey

im usualy the time of girl whos always happy, before uni my life was perfect, gorgous perfect boyfriend of over 3 yrs, very close group of 8 friends, nice workmates great family the lot. Now since starting uni things have gone to bad to worse. I still have my boyfriend but find it hard to cope without him, as we have grown up together, we still keep in touch, see each other once in 4 weeks, this isnt a problem atall, i still very very much love him. I have friends, but theyre just not the close friends i am used to. im used to us all dancing to special songs we have for each other, and going out having fun, getting drunk of a weekend, and just generally looking out for each other. Here, no1 can be relied upon to get you home when your drunk, no1 seems to be up for a laugh and theyre pretty much uptight. i do av friends like i say, but for example we just had a party, id spent ages doin the music, ppl sed they would be here, and 1 person turned up. i was gutted. My flatmates r just *****y most the time, and dont help the situation atall by leaving the flat saying theres no point wasting our booze when no1s there! n im like well wats wrong with a flat drink together, but no1 wants that! our flat is the most disjointed iv seen, and its frankly not nice! i get on with the 2 guys great but the rest r just ok, not enemys but theyre not doing me any favours. I dont know what to do anymore, i thought i wud leave it a few weeks, now its been nearly 2 months and theres still no good freindships there, and if there is its like oh im going to bed, doing work (its a saturday night!!!!) or watever. I dont know what to do now, im sitting here crying because everyone is just frankly boring! what do i do! i do have other friends but they seem not to ask me to go out with them, i have to ask them if i can tag along help! i like my course, dont wana drop out but im not used to being upset, my world was perfect before uni!
    1. Join some clubs/societies
    2. Be grateful that you ever had a 'perfect' life- some of us have never had it and probably never will.
    3. Maybe consider doing other things that are a little more productive than sitting around drinking.
    4. Go out by yourself! You can have a lot of fin by yourself- and may meet some other people.
    5. Try to develop your interests and get invovled in things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xerces)
    You've got it sounding right, but wrong first letter - it's Dion. I think I've spoken to you twice for about 10 seconds (once in the bar by the pool table in first week, and the other time at Roo Bar on the St Trinian's bar crawl). Both times I've been whisked off somewhere else by my flatmates/flat next door before I got a chance to talk to you!

Isn't susiemakemeblue in Durdham as well? Do you all know each other? lol. seems I'm missing out!!
    Yes, we all live very near each other. That's why it's just a little weird reading about this on TSR, rather than talking about it in person!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xerces)

ooo sorry! Yeah i remember talking to you in the bar, but not on the st.trinian's bar crawl (was quite drunk....) - you should come and say hi when you have time to chat!

Yep susiemakemeblue (katie) is in the same flat as Nikki and I live in a flat upstairs. Small world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MNBStyle)
    If becomes unberable perhaps you should consider dropping your course
    That would justnbe fatal! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sian01)
    ooo sorry! Yeah i remember talking to you in the bar, but not on the st.trinian's bar crawl (was quite drunk....) - you should come and say hi when you have time to chat!

Yep susiemakemeblue (katie) is in the same flat as Nikki and I live in a flat upstairs. Small world!
    Nikki knows she can come and talk to us if she's having a hard time.....I just find it really weird reading about it with a load of strangers on here!

ReputationRep:
    hmm yes tis wierd just posted when i was drunk! everythings fine now tho lol musta been a bad day

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.