The Student Room Group

Asked customer for id, clearly over 18, did i make a tit outta myself?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
At least you're not fired.
She should be flattered lol.
Reply 22
I was thinking, what if she didn't have id on her. Then I would have looked like a right twit.
Reply 23
it's better than risking your job.
i've asked loads of people over 30, its just not worth the risk. :/ i always try to make a bit of a joke about it with everyone around me, cos you're just doing your job at the end of the day. i love it when people are really annoyed, it's kinda like are you seriously standing here shouting at me over 20 fags? :s-smilie:
Reply 24
Lol you were doing your job. Even if you overdid it a bit I won't worry about it :wink:
Reply 25
I got ID'd for a can of relentless yesterday, apparently you need to look over 25 to buy one at Sainsbury's these days...
Reply 26
I've had to ask a woman for ID before, turns out she was 37.
Better to be on the safe side.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
You just made her day!
It sounds like she didn't mind anyway, so no harm done. But I do think it's always better to err on the side of caution; you did the right thing.
Reply 29
Original post by Sakura-Chan
Don't worry about it :smile: It's your job to ask if you're not sure. She probably took it as a compliment.

No-one takes being ID'd as a compliment, that's a load of crap stores put on signs to make it sting a bit less.

I don't mind as being shorter than my mates naturally you associate that with being young, then again I only get ID'd maybe 3/10
Amazing feeling when you walk right into a bar and your friend right behind you gets asked for ID.
Not so amazing not getting ID'd 5 times in a row by the same checkout guy at your local Coop then being asked the week after.

OP I was infront of a 33 year old nurse (in full uniform.....) who got ID'd for a bottle of wine, she took it in her stride but I just gave the checkout guy the classic you're such a dumbass stare. (Meant as a don't worry about it ages are hard to tell comment and that compared to that you're fine btw)
(edited 13 years ago)
Did she actually say 'lolllzz'?
it doesn't matter. 25 is a hard age to judge. people can easily look 10 - 15 years younger. better to be safe than sorry.
Reply 32
Been there, done that! You're not alone, haha. :tongue:
Original post by Shuvel
No-one takes being ID'd as a compliment, that's a load of crap stores put on signs to make it sting a bit less.

It's really not.

OP I was infront of a 33 year old nurse (in full uniform.....) who got ID'd for a bottle of wine, she took it in her stride but I just gave the checkout guy the classic you're such a dumbass stare. (Meant as a don't worry about it ages are hard to tell comment and that compared to that you're fine btw)

Tbh it sounds like you a have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about the whole ID thing anyway.

If you're a 36 year old woman and you get mistaken for being a lot younger than you are, you're not going to get in a massive stress about it because it is not a bad thing. Women spend half their life trying to look older, and the other half trying to look younger. Getting ID'd when you're nearly 40 is basically someone saying ''wow, you look good for your age.''

Maybe it's different for men? :dontknow:
If it was a woman i'm surprised she wasn't flattered that you thought she was about ten years younger. :p:
Reply 35
Original post by JackWoot
I got ID'd for a can of relentless yesterday, apparently you need to look over 25 to buy one at Sainsbury's these days...

I've been ID'd for 0% lagers and beers. I used to point out that they were 0% but now I just get my ID out. If I'm fuzzy I don't get ID'd, but if I'm clean shaven I do :s-smilie:

Hate the jobsworths that ID for stuff with no alcohol in it.
"It's from that aisle"
:rolleyes:
36 and has facebook? :eek: it's her who should be feeling like a tit m'dear! :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Sakura-Chan
It's really not.

Tbh it sounds like you a have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about the whole ID thing anyway.

If you're a 36 year old woman and you get mistaken for being a lot younger than you are, you're not going to get in a massive stress about it because it is not a bad thing. Women spend half their life trying to look older, and the other half trying to look younger. Getting ID'd when you're nearly 40 is basically someone saying ''wow, you look good for your age.''

Maybe it's different for men? :dontknow:

I really don't, no-one I've talked to feels being id'd is a compliment, I'm actually one of the more relaxed about it in my group, it's when it's inconsistant or they havn't applied common sense that it bugs me, hence bolding the relevant information.

I don't get annoyed about being asked to prove my age, I get annoyed when a staff member who's served me dozens of times (I know staff get a lot of customers but it's places where they will recognize me through conversation and going there frequently) decides they need to check I've not got 2 years younger every few days.

Been there, done that.
We also had a work evening out in the local Wetherspoons and one of the weekday staff didn't get served because she had no ID with her (she's in her mid-thirties).
Original post by Kash:)
oh, this is me. didn't mean to anon.

Nah you did your job. She should feel flattered, it's probably the only time she's been given a compliment lol. And facebook at 36 :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending