The Student Room Group

Asked customer for id, clearly over 18, did i make a tit outta myself?

Scroll to see replies

No, it's not best to "be safe". No-one should have to prove themselves unless they look under 18. As for these "CHALLENGE 25 IT'S THE LAW" signs certain alcohol retailers like to display, they are simply wrong. The law forbids the sale of alcohol to a person who is known or reasonably believed to be under 18. If they clearly look old enough that is enough as you had a reasonably held belief the person was an adult. New licensing changes introduced in October require that if a local authority sets a higher age than 18 for ID challenges then licensed premises in that area must abide by it. But none seem to have done so yet.

If you're worried about test purchasers then simply ask "How old are you?" They are NOT allowed to lie- an underage purchaser sent in by police or trading standards can't currently tell you they are old enough then sting you.
Reply 61
Don't worry about it. It is no reflection on you whatsoever as a person. You are just abiding by store Policy. You've just got to remember when someone gets fussy about being ID'd it isn't you personally they are attacking, it's the uniform.... However, i do belive the government should issue everyone with some form of Identification that they can carry around in their wallet for situations such as this...
Aaron- The government has just *rejected* identification cards and overturned an entire Act about them that Labour passed because this is NOT a police state or a Communist state and most people don't want to carry around ID wherever they go and show it to whoever asks for it!

"Okay, you don't have to start proving who you are like we're on the wrong side of the Berlin Wall in the 80s, but don't expect to get alcohol or cigarettes or go clubbing until you're middle aged."- Not an acceptable argument!

The Freedoms Bill will be even more anti-ID, anti-surveillance. And they are not attacking the uniform, they are simply upset about being treated like a child.
Reply 63
Nothing to worry about, you're only doing your job! Some people look young, I'm sure the customer was happy :biggrin:
Reply 64
Imagine asking an OAP for i'd. She would be like but im 82 (in an old womans voice) and you would be like

id or get GTFO! :P

only joking would never do that :smile:
Reply 65
Don't worry it is part of your job to ask for ID if you are unsure of the customers age. She must have looked a lot younger than her age if she was 36 - don't worry, she probably took it as a compliment.
I've worked at the cinema and have ID'd so many people who are a lot older than the age rating of the film, I once ID'd a 25 year old guy for an 18 film! It happens...shrug it off and forget about it =]
Reply 66
Original post by ScheduleII
No, it's not best to "be safe". No-one should have to prove themselves unless they look under 18.

I would tend to agree with you, for some reason I have a general dislike of being asked for ID. When buying drink it feels like I'm being treated like a kid, I've been legally allowed to buy it for 2 years and I feel like its my right and I shouldn't have to prove it any more. I know they might have to ask due to 'company policy' and I understand they want to cover their arse but it doesn't make it any less irritating. Thankfully I've never been asked for ID in a bar, only in supermarkets. I only buy the 'better safe than sorry' argument from the point of view of avoiding being fined, I think the age for alcohol and tobacco should be 16 so I don't really care if either ends up getting sold to under 18s.
I was IDed for buying a lottery ticket just before my 27th birthday. I was ecstatic actually, so happy, I took it as a major compliment.
Reply 68
Original post by the-snail
I would tend to agree with you, for some reason I have a general dislike of being asked for ID. When buying drink it feels like I'm being treated like a kid, I've been legally allowed to buy it for 2 years and I feel like its my right and I shouldn't have to prove it any more. I know they might have to ask due to 'company policy' and I understand they want to cover their arse but it doesn't make it any less irritating. Thankfully I've never been asked for ID in a bar, only in supermarkets. I only buy the 'better safe than sorry' argument from the point of view of avoiding being fined, I think the age for alcohol and tobacco should be 16 so I don't really care if either ends up getting sold to under 18s.

Sorry, but I think thats a very selfish attitude to have. Put yourself in the shoes of the Cashier. If they don't ID you and you are under 18 then risk being fined a huge amount, losing their job and having something like that on your record makes it extremely hard to find future employment. On top of that they never know if the customer is going to be abusive (verbally or physically) towards them. And all you have to worry about is pulling a plastic card from your wallet... Why is that such a big deal. The Cashier is just doing his/her job. And I laughed when you said 'I've been allowed to buy it for 2 years', 2 years is nothing, the majority of 20 year olds get ID'd I would imagine.
She was probably flattered in a round-a-bout way lol! Don't even worry, I'd have asked if I wasn't sure :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by Sakura-Chan

Original post by Sakura-Chan
Don't worry about it :smile: It's your job to ask if you're not sure. She probably took it as a compliment.

Possibly the cutest sig ever :love:
Reply 71
I'm 20 and my bro is 27 and he gets I.D'd twice as much as I do.

End of the day you would've looked even worse being called in for a fine and sacking. You did the right thing.
Don't worry about it, she was probably flattered! If someone asked my mum for ID she'd be over the moon :L You probably made her day! :biggrin:
Reply 73
Did she really say "I'm putting this on facebook when I get back"?

Cos that's just really, really gay.
Reply 74
She should take it as a compliment! My mum gets ID'd sometimes and she loves it haha
xx
haha thats not so bad, when i read the title i thought you meant like you asked an 70 year old or something XD
I ID'd an old lady buying scissors.
Reply 77
I remember there was one woman who I didn't ask for ID, and she was like, "Actually, I'm 24 for another 2 weeks yet, aren't you going to ID me?"
Reply 78
Original post by Anonymous
This is another insecure thread from me...

At work we do ask 25 for alcohol. I asked this women for her id, she was like 'omggzzz are serious!!!11 i'm 36.. thisn is going on facebook when I get back lolzzzz'.

It would have been alright if I was on my own at the till but there was someone beside me, and I dunno if she thoguht I was an idiot for asking. I felt like an idiot for asking.

I need cheering up.

Original post by Kash:)
oh, this is me. didn't mean to anon.

I do the same thing occasionaly, but the one time I didnt my manager bitched at me, said even if they do look over 18 it makes no difference, unless they are 100% over 25 you still ID them.
Really quite frustrating, but as others have said, just laugh it off :smile:
Reply 79

No, it's not best to "be safe". No-one should have to prove themselves unless they look under 18. As for these "CHALLENGE 25 IT'S THE LAW" signs certain alcohol retailers like to display, they are simply wrong. The law forbids the sale of alcohol to a person who is known or reasonably believed to be under 18. If they clearly look old enough that is enough as you had a reasonably held belief the person was an adult. New licensing changes introduced in October require that if a local authority sets a higher age than 18 for ID challenges then licensed premises in that area must abide by it. But none seem to have done so yet.

If you're worried about test purchasers then simply ask "How old are you?" They are NOT allowed to lie- an underage purchaser sent in by police or trading standards can't currently tell you they are old enough then sting you.

This is assuming that you just want to pass test purchases. Any decent shop will actually want to uphold the licensing objectives so will want to prevent all underage sales. Places can get into trouble for underage sales even if these weren't a test purchase - there will be other forms of evidence such as CCTV available.

Also, it is very hard to use the defence of "no one would believe them to be underage". People have different perceptions so you cannot assume that no one would think the person is underage. You have to include the elderly granny who thinks that all young people are the same!

Quick Reply