The Student Room Group

The Deceptively Non-Vegetarian Vegetarian Thread

Scroll to see replies

I miss marshmallows! :sad:

Me too, especially cooked over a fire :sad: you can get marshmallow without gelatine in, but they're not very common, I think I found a packet in the cooking section of tescos once...

Why isn't nutella vegetarian?? :eek3: it has cocoa, milk and hazelnuts. OMG, I virtually lived off nutella for ages! :eek:

Me too! Just had a google and apparently it's because it contains Whey, which is one of the components which separates from milk after rennet (a byproduct of veal production) is added.
Natural calf rennet is extracted from the inner mucosa of the fourth stomach chamber (the abomasum) of young calves.
Meaning that whey can contain animal making it unsuitable for vegetarians.

I never knew that's what whey was. :/

So I can have smokey bacon flavoured walkers crisps again? :awesome:

Yep! As long as it says 'suitable for Vegetarians' :biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by EmiliaJones
Fries
Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Rapeseed), Dextrose (only added at beginning of season). Prepared in the restaurants using a non-hydrogenated vegetable oil. Salt is added after cooking

Why did you quote me? Are you saying fries are not vegetarian? :s-smilie:

McDonald's fries are suitable for vegetarians.
http://www.seedlingshowcase.com/corporate08/products_detail.asp?id=50301

Burger King's fries are suitable for vegetarians.
http://www.seedlingshowcase.com/corporate08/products_detail.asp?id=49321
Reply 42
I'm a pescatarian so I can have all these fish oil ones :smile: You never know with food what is and what isn't. I'm not too strict - especially about snack foods. Thank God being a pescatarian is a choice! My bestfriend's brother is allergic to nuts and he has to be soooo careful about what he eats. It's really difficult. If I eat something with meat in, the only thing that will affect me is that thought that I have.
Reply 43
I heard that red smarties aren't suitable for veggies as they still use the beetle colouring (can't remember what it's called) - still taste good though
I'm going to throw up.
I can't believe party rings aren't veggie :frown: And parmesan! :cry:
I don't know many, and don't care myself, but marshmallows. It used to take forver as well, in a shop, when my friend would have to constantly check sweet packets before buying, for gelatin. :colonhash:
Original post by Juno
You can get veggie Hairbo. It's called "funny mix". It does taste funny, though.

Ooh, excellent! :smile: I live in the States, though, so it's rare to find any Haribo at all. I used to love the little gummi bears when I was little, before I went veggie. Another reason why I'm excited for uni in the UK...there seem to be many more vegetarians/vegans than where I'm from! :biggrin:
I don't get it. It's not as if you veggies are going out of your way to kill an animal just because your veggieburger happens to be fried alongside all the other crap. Surely if it's not actually a PIECE OF MEAT you veggies have some sort of lee-way when it comes to things that contain a teeny teeny tiny bit of animal fat.

I understand the whole moral issue, but surely you can just be sensible with the teeny-tiny-bit-of-meat-in-it stuff.. :biggrin:
Reply 49
Original post by The Great Mortimer
I don't get it. It's not as if you veggies are going out of your way to kill an animal just because your veggieburger happens to be fried alongside all the other crap. Surely if it's not actually a PIECE OF MEAT you veggies have some sort of lee-way when it comes to things that contain a teeny teeny tiny bit of animal fat.

I understand the whole moral issue, but surely you can just be sensible with the teeny-tiny-bit-of-meat-in-it stuff.. :biggrin:

I understand what you're saying but it clearly resonates with those people that genuinely do not want to ingest ANY animal matter, usually for moral reasons.

I know it seems daft to those of us who eat meat and/or understand that we're genetically designed to be omnivores, so animal matter is an inevitability in our diet; but these things are quite important because they're deceptive.
Reply 50
Tropicana Juice Drink

Why is it unsuitable? It contains fish oil.
oreos

why? they contain whey powder which is unsuitable for vegetarians.
I'd like to quote a PETA article, because I think this needs to be said in this thread:

"Some packaged foods have a long list of ingredients. The farther an ingredient is down the list, the less of that ingredient is in the food. People who have made the compassionate decision to stop eating animal flesh, eggs, and dairy products may wonder if they need to read every ingredient to check for tiny amounts of obscure animal products. Our general advice is not to worry too much about doing this. The goal of sticking to a vegetarian or vegan diet is to help animals and reduce suffering; this is done by choosing a bean burrito or a veggie burger over chicken flesh, or choosing tofu scramble over eggs, not by refusing to eat an otherwise vegan food because it has 0.001 grams of monoglycerides that may possibly be animal-derived.

We discourage vegetarians from grilling waiters at restaurants about micro-ingredients in vegetarian foods (e.g., a tiny bit of a dairy product in the bun of a veggie burger). Doing so makes sticking to a vegetarian diet seem difficult and dogmatic to your friends and to restaurant staff, thus discouraging them from giving a vegetarian diet a try (which really hurts animals). And we urge vegetarians not to insist that their food be cooked on equipment separate from that used to cook meat; doing so doesn’t help any additional animals, and it only makes restaurants less inclined to offer vegetarian choices (which, again, hurts animals).

Remember that every vegetarian saves more than 100 animals a year from horrific cruelty—and by encouraging people around you to follow your lead, you can save many more."
Reply 53
MangaArtist, that's an interesting read. Pretty much saying "If you want to be a better vegetarian, you've got to eat a LITTLE meat..." - haha!
Reply 54
"Magnum" Range of Ice Creams

Why is it unsuitable? The Whey powder is animal sourced. Some contain rennet.

Carte D'Or Ice Cream and Sorbet Ranges

Why is it unsuitable? The Whey powder is animal sourced. Some contain rennet.
Reply 55
Cornetto, Feast, Mini Milk, Twister and Solero Ranges

Why is it unsuitable? The Whey powder is animal sourced. Some contain rennet. Solero range may also contain fish oil in colouring.

For full listings of which products in the Carte D'or, Magnum, Cornetto, Solero, Mini Milk, Twister and Feast ranges are unsuitable, please consult this Unilever notification:

http://www.bitterwallet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/vegi-list-a.jpg
Reply 56
Only recently realised this, but if you're veggie for ethical reasons, then really, you shouldn't drink milk or eat milk products, as most male calves in the dairy industry are shot very young as they are useless, and some cows are given growth hormones so they can produce 3 calves a year to increase milk production - even though the normal bovine gestation period is 9 months. So it's quite unethical to drink milk if you object to animal cruelty. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2006/feb/19/ethicalfood

This is wrong, read the article again they've written a retraction.
Reply 57
Rainbow Sprinkles (Most varieties)

Why is it unsuitable? Dependant on brand, sprinkle toppings such as Rainbow Sprinkles contain insect material and/or gelatin. Check labels!
I'm quite shocked by the amount of things that contain animal products. I can't believe it is needed in the production of so many foods.

Out of interest I looked on that website about alcohol, and was shocked to see how many beers are unsuitable, including my favorite, John Smith's. I just looked on a can and it doesn't say anything about being unsuitable for veggies.

Luckily, I am not a vegetarian, otherwise I would be rather unimpressed.
Original post by AlexInWonderland
I'm quite shocked by the amount of things that contain animal products. I can't believe it is needed in the production of so many foods.

Out of interest I looked on that website about alcohol, and was shocked to see how many beers are unsuitable, including my favorite, John Smith's. I just looked on a can and it doesn't say anything about being unsuitable for veggies.

Luckily, I am not a vegetarian, otherwise I would be rather unimpressed.

As mentioned previously, a lot of ciders are too. Thankfully, my favourite [Weston's] is vegan friendly and therefore a staple in my fridge lol. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest