Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    (just like to apologiuse if this has been asked before)

i was just wondering if there are any books i should read before starting an english language and literature degree?

thank you x

ReputationRep:
    You may well receive a reading list from the University to which you end up going. I'd advise reading things which interest you whilst making sure there's a decent balance between poetry, plays and novels. Also a bit of literary criticism and theory wouldn't go amiss.

ReputationRep:
    This thread might be quite useful before it digresses wildly:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=114512

ReputationRep:
    hi.
    thanks for that. i wasnt too sure really whether i should just stick to one genre or try and read a sample of many.

and thanks for the thread link, it's v useful

ReputationRep:
    hey, shakespeare is always good and make a start on ur reading list 4 sure coz then u have a headstart and can think of more intelligent things 2 say..lol
    'studying english literature' is good book - useful 4 throughout degree

ReputationRep:
    Just read widely until you get your reading list. It's really good to get as much as that done over the Summer. It will help you so much when you don't have to read the novels at uni when you have deadlines coming up too. I've only had to read one book the whole time i've been here andit's really helped. xx

ReputationRep:
    aeneid. not so much for its great literary merit, but it'll have you raising your glass to bacchus before every single alcoholic beverage consumed over the course of the 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't freak out about it. I know I thought that everyone would have read loads more than me, but it's not really true. Some people are scary, but most are just normal people who have not read the entire works of Shakespeare. Once you get your reading list, pick some off that so you have more time for other things (drinking) when you get there. I went on the wesbite and checked which ones were going to be done in the first term - something I really recommend!

ReputationRep:
    I would just say read widely and dont be put off by book covers! I know I do, and also the size of the font LOL. Any kind of reading is experience and just getting into the swing of regular and rapid reading is useful for uni. Classics are always good as chances are you will study if not the text something else by the author. Look for the pre-reading list but dont consider it a bible...more of a guideline.

ReputationRep:
    that's cool. i was a little worried that i would get there and people would have read so much more than me. i was aslo worried about the shakespeare to, my college seems to be really lacking in the shakespeare department, so i thnk i might be picking them up first.
    think i might go and check out the reading lists now and see whats there.

thanks for all the advice

ReputationRep:
    It was suggested to me that I tried to read a lot of the books on that Big Read top whatever list they did a couple of years ago..

ReputationRep:
    i look at what i have to read for english in a year and try to read at least one other book by that author, plus trying to find some critical theory on the book/author in general.
    i probably dont read as much helpful stuff as possible though as i get caught up reading books from personal choice too much as well.
    i reading most things is good though, if nothing else it gives me a broad range...

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't think you need to bother too much with the critical stuff. That's what you do in your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drinkme)
    hi,
    (just like to apologiuse if this has been asked before)

i was just wondering if there are any books i should read before starting an english language and literature degree?

thank you x
    The Waste Land!!! Really, it's one of the BEST pieces of Literature (of the 20th century) I've ever read- and I've read quite a bit. (Don't mean to boast!,lol)

ReputationRep:
    English is one of the subjects I might do, and when I asked a friend at UCL she basically said - all of Shakespeare, several each of Wordsworth, Dickens & Elliot, Milton's Paradise Lost, Dante's Inferno, Beowulf, the Bible (Genesis & the gospels), Plato, Homer, Virgil, Ovid and Chaucer.

Don't worry about the theory & criticism, but familiarise yourself with as much of the reading list as possible before you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaSW7)
    English is one of the subjects I might do, and when I asked a friend at UCL she basically said - all of Shakespeare, several each of Wordsworth, Dickens & Elliot, Milton's Paradise Lost, Dante's Inferno, Beowulf, the Bible (Genesis & the gospels), Plato, Homer, Virgil, Ovid and Chaucer.

Don't worry about the theory & criticism, but familiarise yourself with as much of the reading list as possible before you go.
    not much then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katerichards)
    not much then
    Best to start early I guess!
    I'm hoping to have read most of Shakespeare & Dickens plus a bit of each of the others before any interviews.

ReputationRep:
    look at some of the unis websites..some departments mighthave reading lists on them for current first yrs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaSW7)
    Best to start early I guess!
    I'm hoping to have read most of Shakespeare & Dickens plus a bit of each of the others before any interviews.
    omg, most of shakespeare!!! that's loads, i reckon i've read about 8 of his plays, plus another couple for A2. i am just gonna read whatever i find the most interesting- some modern stuff as well, like woolf. i will also read all of jane austen and george eliot-as you say, though i'm well on the way to finishing her..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich_)
    and george eliot-as you say, though i'm well on the way to finishing her..
    I meant TS not George

But yeah, prob ought to do George, Virginia Woolf, EM Forster etc too

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 25, 2005

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.