Turn on thread page Beta

books to read before starting english degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    But thats the point, he was trying to emulate and expand on Homer to give the Romans something to be proud of alongside the Augustan "Golden Age". He is giving them a mythological heritage similar to that of the Greeks, who they were a wee bit jealous of.
    So glad you said that...

I think its worth pointing out that originality (or 'ripping off' work) wasn't a concern until C18th or thereabouts. It therefore seems a little false to impose that onto Virgil's text... Just my thoughts

And as for reading, I think some Homer would be useful, but I'd expect that would be covered in your first year anyway (it is at Warwick). Milton also useful. In reality though, I'd agree with just a wide range of literature. Its not like there is a set text list at degree level - you bring into essays/exams what you find interesting. In relation to what someone said about doing yoga (hehe) you can NEVER start reading too early for English... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    read Marquez as he is fab in my opinion! One Hundred Years of Solitude I suppose if you read just one, but I bet you cant stop!

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading his autobiography at the moment (Living To Tell The Tale), though I've not actually read any of his other books (100 Years of Solitude is on my book shelf. But the family tree at the beginning keeps putting me off because I hate books with too many characters. I'm easily confused).

That actually sounds really weird- reading his autobiography without reading his other books... But I was told by my Spanish teachers that it would probably give a better understanding to his other novels. Plus I find Hispanic culture fascinating. I'm not that weird, honest

ReputationRep:
    if u end up coming to birmingham, there's a bit about spanish golden age drama in one of the frst year moduels. i wasn't so keen on it but i've always been more interested in latin/french stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that family tree heh! i mean, you think he could give everyone a different name at least, but oh no! Probably some obscure magic realism convention lol! Can't say I have read the autobiography, but will definately be on the lookout for that one now. Cheers moose

ReputationRep:
    While I don't think it's necessary to get too obsessive about having read all that stuff, it definately helps to have a good grounding in the major works of literature. I found a lot of my lecturers at York, though I can't speak for other English courses obviously, tended to assume some prior knowledge of the texts they were lecturing on, despite their absence from reading lists. Homer's Odyssey and Illiad, Cervante's Don Quixote, Inferno, The Epic of Gilgamesh and couple of others were all the subjects of quite in-depth lectures and I know people who'd not read them found it quite difficult to follow (as the victim of a rigorous central Texas education I'd read them all by the age of 14).
    So although you should obviously read what you enjoy, also remember that university lecturers and tutors aren't there to hold your hand through your first encounter with major literary works. On the other hand, I wouldn't worry too much about Shakespeare, as far as I can tell tutors are far more interested in your own ideas than another parallel between whatever you're studying and whatever Shakespeare play. That's my take on things after a term, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dann)
    read Marquez as he is fab in my opinion! One Hundred Years of Solitude I suppose if you read just one, but I bet you cant stop!
    Yes! Don't let the family tree put you off, Elusive Moose, fantastic book....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 25, 2005

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.