The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I though chav was a relatively well off "ned" (I'm scottish) or "yob" (I'm not sure of the English equivalent!) who is given money by their parents but just spends it all on hash and burberry hats :P I'm sure it's used regardless of ethnic backround to describe a bit of a dick? :tongue:
Now that you mention it, you have a point. Certainly in my personal experience, I've only ever seen the term being directed towards white people.
for me, a chav is anyone with a yobbish/thug-like mentality who is white and wears hideous clothing

for above that are brown===wannabes

for above that are black===badman
Reply 4
No I don't think it I've seen it used towards other races too, commonly towards Pakistani rudeboizz
No, chavs are council housed and violent s****. as long as they come under that they can be any race
Original post by thru sun and rain
No, chavs are council housed and violent s****. as long as they come under that they can be any race

Yes, and the term 'Paki' means Pakistani, yet it's used 'against' people from other countries. Conversely, whilst the term chav may be used on any race, the point here is that it's used only on white people.
Original post by ViralRiver

Original post by ViralRiver
Yes, and the term 'Paki' means Pakistani, yet it's used 'against' people from other countries. Conversely, whilst the term chav may be used on any race, the point here is that it's used only on white people.

no its not. I have heard many people around where I live who calla group of young adults a selection of different races, chavs. The vast majority are asian (in that group that is)
Reply 8
I use the word chavs for people at my high school who get pregnant at 16 to get council house or those who attempt the whole "gangsta" culture but failed miserably. Also with their over use of "init blud".
Reply 9
Am I the only person who has heard chav used to describe black and asian people too. I use it to describe any race person as someone who wears a lot of gaudy styled clothes, is violent and yobbish and indulges in a lazy and weed addled culture.

Definitely you can get black and asian chavs and any other race chavs...
Reply 10
Stereotypically, a person wearing a cap (that doesn't have a flat peak), where's polos, lacoste/burberry/sky blue clothing with white trainers is a chav. It just so happens that they're mostly white.
Original post by Eveiebaby
Am I the only person who has heard chav used to describe black and asian people too. I use it to describe any race person as someone who wears a lot of gaudy styled clothes, is violent and yobbish and indulges in a lazy and weed addled culture.

Definitely you can get black and asian chavs and any other race chavs...

Wood Green = full of chavs
Reply 12
This is what is meant by 'chav'(meaning they are scum, indifference to their lives):

And the below are commonly refferred to as young British gentlemen ( the reality is they groomed white girls for gang rape, and must be rehabilitated):

I know who I'd rather hang.
Reply 13
Original post by Fusion
I notice a hell of a lot of Asian people (not including Far east Asians) use the term 'chav', and to me it's pretty much a tacit title for a lower class white person, so I interpret it as a very sly racist remark (of course it's also classist) when Asian people use it, and they use it quite spitefully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk6wr7cKAjY&feature=player_embedded

So in answer to your question, no.
Reply 14
Original post by Fusion
This is what is meant by 'chav'(meaning they are scum, indifference to their lives):

And the below are commonly refferred to as young British gentlemen ( the reality is they groomed white girls for gang rape, and must be rehabilitated):

I know who I'd rather hang.

The Chav's?
Reply 15
Original post by puma21
The Chav's?

yES; THE 'PAKI' PEADO 'CHAVS'
Reply 16
I hear chav being used to on people from all races. Its tends to be the hat wearing / hooded up, trackies and trainer wearing, loud, rowdy inbreds nobody wants to see around.
Reply 17
No. I see loads of asian chavs around. Black chavs tend to be more 'gangster' in their appearance but they are still chavs. They can be rich chavs as well. You just have to dress and have the attitude of a chav to be one. Race, money and class doesn't come into it for me.
Original post by accesstohe
Wood Green = full of chavs

Absolutely. But I do like it here still...
Original post by Fusion
I notice a hell of a lot of Asian people (not including Far east Asians) use the term 'chav', and to me it's pretty much a tacit title for a lower class white person, so I interpret it as a very sly racist remark (of course it's also classist) when Asian people use it, and they use it quite spitefully.

I hate chavs- I remember taking the Jremy Kyle bus (long before I could drive) once, I hated it. Chavs- ewww.

Latest

Trending

Trending