Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In year 12 i took an extra GCSE instead of an AS Level which i would drop. This was because the GCSE was Media, it had only just became available, my school don't do Media AS and i knew i wanted to do it at Uni.

So basically i took three AS Levels (ABB) and will (hopefully!) have four A2 Levels (predicted AABB)

Do you think the lack of an extra AS will hinder my application???

ReputationRep:
    how can you take 3 AS levels and have 4 A2s?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gordon2002)
    how can you take 3 AS levels and have 4 A2s?
    Yeah, i was going to ask that lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawHopeful)
    Yeah, i was going to ask that lol!
    Me too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Me too!
    Me three!

ReputationRep:
    four with me!

ReputationRep:
    lol general studies is the fourth! We only do it as an A2 not an AS. I thought everywhere did that?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hailz202)
    lol general studies is the fourth! We only do it as an A2 not an AS. I thought everywhere did that?!
    Then you've done it at AS. You can't take A2 without doing AS!

ReputationRep:
    But you have to have the AS too as it makes up half of the qualification :confused: Are you sure you're just doing the A2 course and not the AS? Sorry if I sound patronising but that's the only way I can see it working :s:

ReputationRep:
    No we are only doing the A2! I definately havn't done the AS!! It's stupid i know - thats the way our school does it and why everyone finds it so hard!! I know the AS and A2 marks add up to 600 and all that so i don't know whats goin on there! But we definately get the A2 at the end, and i havn't done the AS.

Anyway, does anyone know if it will affect my application only having three AS's?

ReputationRep:
    Not everywhere does it... my school doesnt for a start.

Most of the top "red-brick" unis will want 4 ASs and 3 A2s... so you might have a problem there... however, some unis will specify UCAS points, and as long as you make the amount of points up in your AS and A2s, you should get in easily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawHopeful)
    Not everywhere does it... my school doesnt for a start.

Most of the top "red-brick" unis will want 4 ASs and 3 A2s... so you might have a problem there... however, some unis will specify UCAS points, and as long as you make the amount of points up in your AS and A2s, you should get in easily
    :ditto: It depends on where you apply and whether or not they accept General Studies. You could be disadvantaged at the top unis, but at others you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster will be my first choice if i get an offer. They accept general studies but i just hope me having only 3ASs won't put me at too much of a disadvantage. :s

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, how many units are you taking for your General Studies course?

Anyway, I took 3 AS's plus AS General Studies due to some problems with my 4th AS, and then all 3 plus General Studies for A2. I got offers from some pretty good universities, eg. Bath, Cardiff and Royal Holloway, so it wasn't too much of a disadvantage to me.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest i don't have a clue! We havn't been told anything at all about it apart from that its an A2 and everyone has to do it! I think i will have three exams in total for general studies? one in jan and two in june.

ooh hopefully it won't affect me too much then. cheers!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest i don't have a clue! We havn't been told anything at all about it apart from that its an A2 and everyone has to do it! I think i will have three exams in total for general studies? one in jan and two in june.

ooh hopefully it won't affect me too much then. cheers!
    3 modules for AS, 6 in total for A2. So unless you were doing the course intensive, maybe doing 3 in Jan and 3 in June, then I imagine you're doing the AS only?

Either way, if your prospective uni accepts General Studies, then you will finish with 3 A2's and 1 AS/A2 - which adds up fine.

ReputationRep:
    Just found out today that we are doing it intensive and have 6 exams overall for General Studies this year. Oh the excitement. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Although I took 4 AS's, I messed up in one of them and decided that I would drop the subject (am retaking in summer though). This meant I had to decline the grade i had got and so sent UCAS form off with only 3 AS grades and 1 'pending'. I have now received three offers for Law - it would appear to me that they do not worry about it too much as long as you have a strong PS and good range of other stuff to put it.

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.