PGCE - but no Maths GCSE Watch

This discussion is closed.
Julia Jane
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello

Has anyone succeeded with an application onto a PGCE course without maths GCSE? I have a History of Art 2:1 and History of Art Post Grad Foundation Certificate. I am an artist and art teacher. I think I have most requirements but maths really is not my strong point - do they offer a test? And does the Maths requirement apply for Post-compulsory sector PGCE?

Thank you.
Rubbaduckzilla
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They ask for a B grade in maths, well this is what my teacher told me.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Certainly for primary and secondary teacher training, Maths, English and science GCSEs are compulsory requirements from the government, and I can't imagine it would be different for post-compulsory I'm afraid. Plus you also have to pass the QTS skills tests in literacy, numeracy and ICT before you can qualify
Scorpy9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have a friend who has been given a conditional offer to do the PGCE primary in Scotland - the condition is that he has to pass his maths GCSE
im1190
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
GCSE Maths C or above is compulsory. If you are taking classes/entering yourself into the GCSE exams then you may be able to apply if you say this in your statement - the offer will be conditional on you passing the GCSE Maths. If you wish to teach primary, a C in science will also be essential. Good luck!
Kidders
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You need the C grade in maths GCSE before you'll be allowed on the course. Also if maths is that much of an issue for you, you may really struggle with the numeracy QTS test you have to pass. There's a practice test on the TDA website
Lee LIM
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No wonder the UK has a problem recruiting teachers with an obsession about Maths.Draconian Law from which century?.I see little reason why an English Language, Art, History, IT, MEDIA etc graduate or anyone else who will NOT be studying a PGCE to teach Maths(ever) should REQUIRE this Mandatory qualification .

As the UK is desperate for teachers, they should be astute enough to realise the reason.
The solution is to scrap this policy altogether. House of Commons/Parliament are you listening?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maths and English GCSE C grade or above is required by law to enter teacher training. It is just about the only qualification that is non-negotiated. Makes sense when the English and Maths tests are GCSE level and English and Maths are cross circular in all subjects.
PersianCatLady
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lee LIM)
No wonder the UK has a problem recruiting teachers with an obsession about Maths.Draconian Law from which century?.I see little reason why an English Language, Art, History, IT, MEDIA etc graduate or anyone else who will NOT be studying a PGCE to teach Maths(ever) should REQUIRE this Mandatory qualification .

As the UK is desperate for teachers, they should be astute enough to realise the reason.
The solution is to scrap this policy altogether. House of Commons/Parliament are you listening?
I don't agree with you at all.

Of course teachers should have at least a grade C in maths and English.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

It's not just teaching that requires a C in GCSE maths and English. Most graduate careers have this requirement - they want to see that you have basic literacy and numeracy skills.

In the most recent Edexcel maths exams you only needed 17% to get a standard pass (grade 4 which is the equivalent of a low C).
Lee LIM
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sarah1979)
I don't agree with you at all.

Of course teachers should have at least a grade C in maths and English.

Explain why? They would NOT be teaching Maths,remember.
PersianCatLady
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Explain why? They would NOT be teaching Maths,remember.
Getting a Grade C in Maths GCSE isn't that hard and gives you a good foundation in maths.

Even though you wouldn't be teaching maths there may be times when you need to be able to do basic maths in your role as a teacher.

Also most universities require a grade C in maths to study for a degree so the number of people who have a degree but not a grade C in maths is probably not that many.

If you want to be a teacher that badly perhaps you should put as much effort into meeting all of the requirements as you do into arguing about why they shouldn't exist.
Lee LIM
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Getting a Grade C in Maths GCSE isn't that hard and gives you a good foundation in maths.

Even though you wouldn't be teaching maths there may be times when you need to be able to do basic maths in your role as a teacher.

Also most universities require a grade C in maths to study for a degree so the number of people who have a degree but not a grade C in maths is probably not that many.

If you want to be a teacher that badly perhaps you should put as much effort into meeting all of the requirements as you do into arguing about why they shouldn't exist.

No, I am putting my efforts into trying to get a decent and LOGICAL answer as to WHY maths is required when one would NOT be teaching it ever. So far there has not been sufficient or adequate answers. Just because that is the way the system IS, is simply not common sense.

Never mind, obviously this topic is falling on deaf ears. I think maybe other media forums and channels will be more productive.
Lee LIM
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

No, I am putting my efforts into trying to get a decent and LOGICAL answer as to WHY maths is required when one would NOT be teaching it ever. So far there has not been sufficient or adequate answers. Just because that is the way the system IS, is simply not common sense.

Never mind, obviously this topic is falling on deaf ears. I think maybe other media forums and channels will be more productive.
PersianCatLady
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

For whatever reason maths is required.

Instead of whinging and moaning, why don't you just accept it?

Do you really think that the whole system is going to be changed just for you?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.04%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (392)
56.98%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.1%

Watched Threads