The Student Room Group

What would you think of a full time busker?

I was discussing this with a friend who said he looked down upon buskers as they are just beggers in disguise. Of course I was disgusted by this comment as he was not joking so wondered what the people of TSR think about someone who is a self employed busker? Would you look down upon them? Would you think less of them than if they say were employed by a company etc? Would you think anything else of them? Please post everything.

Also, would it change if I said i'd travelled around the world busking in all the major continents and most of the biggest cities whilst paying all costs and returning home having made money and absoluptly loving performing and meeting fascinating people.

I'm not really bothered what people think, just interested.

Thanks for any replies :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Better to busk than to sit at home all day doing nothing =D

Plus I like buskers, they cheer up my day if they play good music...if they cannot play their instrument then that's a different matter!

EDIT: Although if they were planning on busking for rest of their life that wouldn't give much security!
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Better to busk than to sit at home all day doing nothing =D

Plus I like buskers, they cheer up my day if they play good music...if they cannot play their instrument then that's a different matter!

EDIT: Although if they were planning on busking for rest of their life that wouldn't give much security!

Thanks for your reply. Yes I find the overwhelming majority really like buskers if they are good :smile:

But why isn't it much security? I think it gives far more security than most jobs these days, you aren't going to be made redundant are you...
Original post by my_username_was_taken

Thanks for your reply. Yes I find the overwhelming majority really like buskers if they are good :smile:

But why isn't it much security? I think it gives far more security than most jobs these days, you aren't going to be made redundant are you...

Yeah but the older you get the less likely you are to get as much money! Let's be honest, what do random teenage girls out shopping want, to give money to an old man, or to give money and their number to the cute new indie boy playing the guitar.
I'd think:

"Get a real job"
Reply 5
Hats off to them if they could pull it off, but it's not a very stable job. There is a real possibility of you making next to nothing. You also have to be very talented.
Reply 6
my gran is good at knitting

everyone she knits for is always like

woah, pedrobear's gran, you're so good at knitting. tell us your secret. we're really impressed for serial. also your grandson is a handsome bastard

she's proud of her skills

now let's interject here and ask a question

does my gran sit on street corners and knit all day and expect money for it?
(edited 13 years ago)
I've met some really interesting buskers :smile: I think it's pretty cool, the ones I have come across are very talented and 'unique' people. If they're happy that's the most important thing really.
Original post by Pedrobear

woah, pedrobear's gran, you're so good at knitting. tell us your secret. we're really impressed for serial. also your grandson is a handsome bastard

Because knitting is so entertaining to watch isn't it!

One of the quotes I live by is

"Find what you do for free, then find a way to get paid for it"
Depends upon if they're good or not. Some of them are shoddy and those I would probably want to go away but there are some seriously good ones kicking around in the bigger cities and they're good. I mean you even have to get a license to busk some places so you have to be good. It's basically a job.
Good or not, it's begging.

She sits on street corners all day and makes money from it...but I didn't go for the knitting...
Because knitting is so entertaining to watch isn't it!

One of the quotes I live by is

"Find what you do for free, then find a way to get paid for it"

are you saying you're somehow better than my gran? who made you the god of all entertainment?

get out imperialist scum

and take your bloody hat with you
Reply 13
He went to London Met.
Original post by Sendaii
Hats off to them if they could pull it off, but it's not a very stable job. There is a real possibility of you making next to nothing. You also have to be very talented.

If you're good and unique and know techniques and decent areas you never make next to nothing. And I think it's far more stable than most jobs availble these days as you're not going to be made redundant.

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Yeah but the older you get the less likely you are to get as much money! Let's be honest, what do random teenage girls out shopping want, to give money to an old man, or to give money and their number to the cute new indie boy playing the guitar.

But the older you get also, the more you can truely master your talent and create far more techniques to make people part with their money. Yes the income does go down (have talked to lots of buskers who are 40+) but it's not significant and still easy to get by on so I don't believe it doesn't have much security-I believe the opposite. :smile:

I hardly ever get donations from teenagers so don't think that's a problem-it's mostly from middle aged people anyway. :biggrin:

Original post by ritchie888
I'd think:

"Get a real job"

Why does it not fit your perception of a "real job"?

Would a real job be something someone does 9-5 in an office, can't wait to get home, and get caught in the rush hour, only for their day to "begin" when they get home in the evening?

Who would be happiest?
Reply 15
At least they are getting paid for their talent.
Original post by hothedgehog
Depends upon if they're good or not. Some of them are shoddy and those I would probably want to go away but there are some seriously good ones kicking around in the bigger cities and they're good. I mean you even have to get a license to busk some places so you have to be good. It's basically a job.

*nods* To be fair, the buskers in Canterbury are frequently not great.

But in Bath they have like licences and such and they tend to be fantastic, you can see some amazing street theatre and stuff too. It's awesome c: So that's more what I think of when I think of busking, rather than a random guy with a guitar on the underground or something which I imagine is more common.
Original post by Sazzy890
At least they are getting paid out of pity.

Fixed.
Reply 18

inb4 "No, she sits on street corners and does that other thing she is good at for money".
I think it'd be quite a cool job (as long as you were good at it!)
Like, the people in Covent Garden and stuff, they're all amazing and you can see some really unique and interesting acts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending