Turn on thread page Beta

Crack. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I really can't get my head round what you've done there/why you've done it...

What're you trying to do?? :confused:

Looks like you've gone a long way round summat simple...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SW)
    I really can't get my head round what you've done there/why you've done it...

What're you trying to do?? :confused:

Looks like you've gone a long way round summat simple...
    Have not.

Asks for marks and names (sentinal value -1 to end mark input)

Meanwhile checks if the person got the highest mark and if so stores their name and mark in the HighestMark and HighestStudent

Also stores the name and mark in an array[count]

Then works out the average

Displays the average, number of students, who got the highest, their mark

Then goes to another screen showing who got above average, doing a check to store in a variable the biggest length of a string... then lines them all up appropriately by adding pad characters

ReputationRep:
    Well tell me what you're trying to do then I can re-write your program like usual!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SW)
    Well tell me what you're trying to do then I can re-write your program like usual!! :p:
    http://213.106.38.138/marksyay.zip

ReputationRep:
    Swear I've seen that in a Pascal examples book... or did you sue the average programme as a starting point and build on it? I think the variables are the same.

Looks neat, though- more than mine ever did. Although VB is a bit more useful and so I concentrated on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    Swear I've seen that in a Pascal examples book... or did you sue the average programme as a starting point and build on it? I think the variables are the same.

Looks neat, though- more than mine ever did. Although VB is a bit more useful and so I concentrated on that.
    :\ tis from scratch

ReputationRep:
    Impressive - you could do with telling the user how to stop recording marks 'cause I had to check the code... other than that I kinda like it...

I wouldda got totally f*cked for using colour in 1st year so I envy you!! :p:

For once summat you wrote works :p:

If I could be arsed I'd go back and nitpick but - you done good :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SW)
    Impressive - you could do with telling the user how to stop recording marks 'cause I had to check the code... other than that I kinda like it...

I wouldda got totally f*cked for using colour in 1st year so I envy you!! :p:

For once summat you wrote works :p:

If I could be arsed I'd go back and nitpick but - you done good :yy:
    Yeah, I'll just drop a little sentinel notice in at the beginning, but yay

P.S. Colin doesn't mind colours but says he "needs sunglasses" for people who use flashing ones

ReputationRep:
    And on a sidenote - I start writing my project program after xmas... wait till you see THAT f*cker...

It's gonna be an all singing all dancing school dinners register... colour and all [finally I can play with colours!! ]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SW)
    And on a sidenote - I start writing my project program after xmas... wait till you see THAT f*cker...

It's gonna be an all singing all dancing school dinners register... colour and all [finally I can play with colours!! ]
    Count the runtime errors

ReputationRep:
    This may sound a bit thick but where's the error trapping? What's to stop a user entering a character in the Newestmark field and then causing the error message and programme exit? (Assuming this is in Turbo Pascal- my experience is limited after all...)

ReputationRep:
    Shut your face!! :eek:

It won't be runnable for about a month I should think, especially as I have to write my own inpur procedures, how stupid is that??

No more "ReadLn" for me

I think I'll do the lot with "ReadLn" and then moan at Colin to copy his input procedures across

We only have to write our own so it won't crash when someone types "Hello" instead of an integer... :mad:

Why can't they just read what it says?? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    This may sound a bit thick but where's the error trapping? What's to stop a user entering a character in the Newestmark field and then causing the error message and programme exit? (Assuming this is in Turbo Pascal- my experience is limited after all...)
    Nothing, that's second year I believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SW)
    Shut your face!! :eek:

It won't be runnable for about a month I should think, especially as I have to write my own inpur procedures, how stupid is that??

No more "ReadLn" for me

I think I'll do the lot with "ReadLn" and then moan at Colin to copy his input procedures across

We only have to write our own so it won't crash when someone types "Hello" instead of an integer... :mad:

Why can't they just read what it says?? :mad:
    I remember him saying "ASSUMING YOUR USERRRR HAS THE BASIC INTELLIGENCE TO ENTER A NUMBER AND NOT 'DAVE'... BUT MORE ON THAT IN THE SECOND YEAR!!!!"

ReputationRep:
    This is just what I've been going on about, you have to write your own input parameters so it reads every character seperately and checks it before it echos it back to the screen and records it in the variable... it's A2 level stuff and it's kinda simple once you get your head round it because you can use the same thing for every input you have to do. It's the real numbers that are a bugger, and dates and things...

Without doing this there is no way of stopping the program crashing when someone enters the wrong thing in the wrong place, because pascal "ReadLn" isn't really made for direct keyboard input, it's been made for input straight from a file, which would have been checked and double entered and validated and stuff to make sure it was 100% correct and wouldn't end up crashing the program..
    --------------
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    I remember him saying "ASSUMING YOUR USERRRR HAS THE BASIC INTELLIGENCE TO ENTER A NUMBER AND NOT 'DAVE'... BUT MORE ON THAT IN THE SECOND YEAR!!!!"
    Exactly!! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing some silly Psychology essay Criticism of someone or other at the moment. My History's done for today, I'm scared in case I get my mark back tomorrow :eek:

Ooh btw, I got the highest in the French Autumn Assessment

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.