The Student Room Group

Taking Economics without Economics A Level?

I wasnt sure if this belonged in your Economics forum either, but i felt it more relevant here since surely the entry requirements will differ vastly for Oxbridge. Anyway, to the point, i am currently taking Mathematics, Business Studies, Media Studies, English Language and Literature and Computing at AS Level and was wondering whether not taking Economics (which is considered desirable) would severly hinder my chances of acceptance?
Reply 1
maybe. but i would think that you taking business studies, media studies and computing would have more of an effect on your chances. these are on the LSE blacklist so it is likely they are not looked upon favourably at oxbridge. i might be wrong in this though.
Undry1
maybe. but i would think that you taking business studies, media studies and computing would have more of an effect on your chances. these are on the LSE blacklist so it is likely they are not looked upon favourably at oxbridge. i might be wrong in this though.

I would have thought Business Studies an appropiate alternative for Economics, and Computing has a reputation of being hard to attain an A grade in. Although i do agree that Media Studies isnt looked favourably upon, but it is a subject i enjoy and i felt it best to have a couple of those added into more complex and revision-neccessary subjects as Mathematics.

Do you mind providing me with a complete blacklist for LSE?
Do a search.
Reply 4
I think you need to consider the difficulty you would have if you didn't study economics at AS/A level. Working with people who have done it as A level might prove to be more challenging.
But when i did talk to the admission tutors, they all said you dont need to have it.
Also for places like Oxbridge, you will need to justify why you want to study economics which might be harder without actually studying economics.
michaelbenson
Do you mind providing me with a complete blacklist for LSE?

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/undergraduateProspectus2006/howToApply.htm

Business studies and media studies are on there, but computing isn't, just ICT.
Isnt blacklist a little bit of a strong word to describe these?
LSE are accepting these A Levels, and to blacklist ones such as Law is a little harsh. And with regards to not knowing as much as those already taken two years in the subject this is a major concern of mine; which is why i am possibly considering taking Economics as an AS level in my second year. Since really, starting Economics as an A Level is just too late ... infact i dont believe the College offers the subject at A Level.

* I'll just double check that fact.
** Yes, this course isnt offered. Can this work in my favour with regards to the fact that i chose the next relevant option in Business Studies?
Reply 7
I know of many people reading economics at university level without studying Economics at 'A' levels, and they're doing just fine.

If you have a passion for the subject, you'll succeed.
Reply 8
sanjiv
I know of many people reading economics at university level without studying Economics at 'A' levels, and they're doing just fine.

If you have a passion for the subject, you'll succeed.

How do you know you have passion for a subject if you haven't studied it? I always thought BS was the way forward but was i wrong (YES).
lol
I know what you mean sanjiv but i think anyone would find it harder to show passion or justify their choice if they haven't explored it in atleast some depth.
Reply 9
I would expect anyone even thinking of studying Economics at 'A' levels, to have read certain economic magazines (e.g. The Economist)/journals/papers (e.g. those written by university professors). I would expect them to have engaged in some academic discussions with their counterparts who are proficient in the subject. That should give them an insight into the world of economics. :wink:
Reply 10
Intellectually not having done A-Level Economics wouldn't be a problem: without sounding pretentious, it's very simple, very easy.
Reply 11
I am applying to St Johns at Cambridge this year without economics...

Economics isnt offered at my school, but i hope my clean academic record and my obvious interest in the subject will get me an offer. It explicitly states on the St. Johns webstite that economics is not required but maths is. Providing you get good grades in your subjects and a have a good set of GCSEs to support, you should have no worries about applying! At interview, they wont expect you to know everything about economics, they will expect you to explain your interests and to show your academic ability...

I am interested though... as you raised the question, it does imply that you are not happy with your subject selection. If this is the case, i would be prepared to explain your subject choices at interview. I agree with posts above about LSE taking a dim view to some subjects, however, i dont know what policy oxbridge have. Just give it your best shot and stop worrying!
Economics A-level is very, very different to Economics at Oxford, let alone Cambridge. It really isn't necessary to do well here, let alone get an offer.
toto8462
I am applying to St Johns at Cambridge this year without economics...

Economics isnt offered at my school, but i hope my clean academic record and my obvious interest in the subject will get me an offer. It explicitly states on the St. Johns webstite that economics is not required but maths is. Providing you get good grades in your subjects and a have a good set of GCSEs to support, you should have no worries about applying! At interview, they wont expect you to know everything about economics, they will expect you to explain your interests and to show your academic ability...

I am interested though... as you raised the question, it does imply that you are not happy with your subject selection. If this is the case, i would be prepared to explain your subject choices at interview. I agree with posts above about LSE taking a dim view to some subjects, however, i dont know what policy oxbridge have. Just give it your best shot and stop worrying!

Thanks for the advice, with regards to not being happy with my subject selection only to the point that it might hinder my chances of getting into a more traditional university like Oxbridge. For example, although i enjoy subjects like Media and Business Studies apparantly more academic and relevant qualifications in subjects like History, Politics and Economics at A Level would be more relevant for this degree.

I would be more than happy to discuss my subject selection during my interview, i have a year to prepare for my reasoning now at least. :smile:
Computing isn't on the blacklist, it's considered a 'proper' subject. However, business studies and media studies may be a problem. My advice, if you want to do economics at places like LSE, Oxford etc, take economics instead of business studies. This way you get a very good subject to have an A level in, which is recognised as being a 'proper' subject.
Reply 15
You have 3 "good" A Levels. I can't see why they'd instantly snub you for taking business and media. I have a friend whos gone for economics and management at Oxford and something similar at LSE with Business Studies as a 5th subject and I doubt it will do him too much harm. If your still worried about it send emails to the unis you would like to study at, explaining your situation and ask the admissions office whether it would be possible to gain entry to the course with your subjects etc.
Icantbelieveit
Computing isn't on the blacklist, it's considered a 'proper' subject. However, business studies and media studies may be a problem. My advice, if you want to do economics at places like LSE, Oxford etc, take economics instead of business studies. This way you get a very good subject to have an A level in, which is recognised as being a 'proper' subject.

The problem is my college dont actually take Economics anymore because of the lack of popularity towards the subject.
Isaiah Berlin
Economics A-level is very, very different to Economics at Oxford, let alone Cambridge. It really isn't necessary to do well here, let alone get an offer.

but isn;t it Econ and Management in Oxford? it sounds different from Econ anyway

Latest

Trending

Trending