I'm gonna miss London too much Watch

chloeee!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've got an offer to go to Leeds in September, which was my first choice and I'm really happy about it blah blah, but I am really gonna miss London too much. I went to like one of the worst state schools in West London, grew up on a council estate, got into a lot of **** when I was younger (shoplifting, drugs, bf was in a gang etc) and at the time I just thought I can't wait to get away from this but I was just watching diary of a bad man on youtube, and then ''the peckham terminator'' and it filled me with a sense of like..oh god, i actually love this place too much. I know I'd be stupid to not go, but the thought of being surrounded by middle class people who are mainly white (I'm white myself btw) really just does not appeal to me. Anyone else been in a similar situation?
Woohoo_xD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Lool the peckham terminator video is hilarious.
654321A
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by chloeee!)
I've got an offer to go to Leeds in September, which was my first choice and I'm really happy about it blah blah, but I am really gonna miss London too much. I went to like one of the worst state schools in West London, grew up on a council estate, got into a lot of **** when I was younger (shoplifting, drugs, bf was in a gang etc) and at the time I just thought I can't wait to get away from this but I was just watching diary of a bad man on youtube, and then ''the peckham terminator'' and it filled me with a sense of like..oh god, i actually love this place too much. I know I'd be stupid to not go, but the thought of being surrounded by middle class people who are mainly white (I'm white myself btw) really just does not appeal to me. Anyone else been in a similar situation?
good old nostalgia.
kerily
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm sure Leeds as a city has plenty of working-class people. You can always come home in the holidays anyway
Bboy_Xtreme
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why wouldn't you want to leave a ****hole as big as london?
trollman
Badges: 12
Report 8 years ago
I'm not gonna lie, I miss so many parts of London. (I'm from north east london)

The buses, the trains, the amount of cheap chicken shops. The busyness, the people, the city centre and the accents.

but you will get used to it and find that there are parts that you will not miss. People constantly trying to mug you, the traffic, the prices.

You may even like being in a smaller place. (although Leeds is significantly larger than York)

I like knowing my way around the whole city and not just certain parts, walking home knowing that I dodnt have to put my phone in my sock, going to a club and seeing loads of people you know by coincidence.

But I still love going home during breaks :awesome:
beatrixface
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I feel exactly the same way. I live in Hackney, was meant to go to Glasgow last year but didn't end up going. It was too far away and I realised I'd miss London too much. Glasgow is probably more like London than Leeds (although never been to Leeds so I don't really know) but it's still not the same. London is where I belong, and when I went to see Glasgow everyone was trying too hard to be cool and hip and that wasn't me. I would have fit in if I'd have tried but I don't want to go somewhere where I have to try too hard. It's not only you.
Pedrobear
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I went to like one of the worst state schools in West London
damn blud, i can't even imagine
chloeee!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pedrobear)
damn blud, i can't even imagine
haha are you even from london?
if so, don't think you know very much because it was at my WEST LONDON school where the headteacher got stabbed by a pupil a few years ago.
Pedrobear
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
if so, don't think you know very much because it was at my WEST LONDON school where the headteacher got stabbed by a pupil a few years ago.
not from exactly, but spent enough time there.

jokes anyway

i'm actually from glasgow which brings me onto what this noob said

(Original post by beatrixface)
x
someone from london claiming people in glasgow 'try too hard to be cool'

bro you come from a city famous for people trying too hard to be something they're not, you know absolutely nothing of glasgow if this is what you think

i am actually lol'ing my face off at the idea of a londoner thinking this about ggow
i.student
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i went to the northeast for a year. i survived. it was not too bad.
london is like an annoying wife or husband. you dont miss her at all while you are with her. you miss her terribly when you are away.
beatrixface
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Pedrobear)
someone from london claiming people in glasgow 'try too hard to be cool'

bro you come from a city famous for people trying too hard to be something they're not, you know absolutely nothing of glasgow if this is what you think

i am actually lol'ing my face off at the idea of a londoner thinking this about ggow
Not Glasgow in general, but the people at Glasgow Uni, certainly. I spent three days there, spoke to first years and people who were doing the course I was looking to do, and I went out to the SU a couple of nights, and that is the impression I got. A lot of them spoke with these prissy voices, dressing like something you'd see in NME, and I hated it. They were all the same, it was depressing. Again, may not be true for all of Glasgow but in terms of the Uni most people are like that. Friends at Glasgow have also confirmed this.

Also, you've obviously never been to the part of London where I'm from. What you're describing is simply not how we roll :cool:
Pedrobear
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not Glasgow in general, but the people at Glasgow Uni, certainly. I spent three days there, spoke to first years and people who were doing the course I was looking to do, and I went out to the SU a couple of nights, and that is the impression I got. A lot of them spoke with these prissy voices, dressing like something you'd see in NME, and I hated it. They were all the same, it was depressing. Again, may not be true for all of Glasgow but in terms of the Uni most people are like that. Friends at Glasgow have also confirmed this.

Also, you've obviously never been to the part of London where I'm from. What you're describing is simply not how we roll :cool:
well that makes plenty of sense, the west end/uni is full of cocks. should've gone further than ashton lane tbqh

uuh i've only ever stayed in south London but it was for months at a time and i met people from all over. obviously one cannot speak on behalf of 7million(+?) people though, ja
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
St Georges?

HAHAHAHA, that really is the ****test school in West London, I live like 10 mins away. :cool:

Anyway, I couldn't bear to leave London either, hence, I didn't. :proud:
ciccogol
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
haha, when English people talk about their gangs or whatever, or going to a 'bad school' in West London, it makes me laugh.
Where I am from (Napoli, Italy) in a bad area you would not last 1 week, especially if you were not white; this is not a good thing. To be stupid enough to want to be surrounded by idiots who will either be in jail or cleaning toilets is really crazy. You have to educate yourself; go to Leeds, what a beautiful city and a great university.
Of course, I understand your point; the idea of middle-class oppression and boredom is a theme that people have been fighting for years. I go to Bath, possibly one of the most middle/middle-upper class universities in the country. But you know what? It's a good time. Even nice middle-class people like to drink, to go out and to make jokes...
And you are white and don't want to be surrounded by whites? This is idiotic. I don't want to go to a university where I am a minority. I can't even say the old excuse that I have a black friend. This is your problem and it is very unique and strange.
chloeee!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
St Georges?

HAHAHAHA, that really is the ****test school in West London, I live like 10 mins away. :cool:

Anyway, I couldn't bear to leave London either, hence, I didn't. :proud:
Haha, yeah st georges! okay that 'incident' was like ten years ago but still. i don't get there anymore, but i do sort of miss it.
Madjackismad
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
I feel exactly the same way. I live in Hackney, was meant to go to Glasgow last year but didn't end up going. It was too far away and I realised I'd miss London too much. Glasgow is probably more like London than Leeds (although never been to Leeds so I don't really know) but it's still not the same. London is where I belong, and when I went to see Glasgow everyone was trying too hard to be cool and hip and that wasn't me. I would have fit in if I'd have tried but I don't want to go somewhere where I have to try too hard. It's not only you.
Do you mean the West End of Glasgow? Yeah, there's a lot of pretentious hipsters there. Question them on a piece of art in Kelvingrove and they crumble.
chloeee!
Rep:
?
(Original post by ciccogol)
haha, when English people talk about their gangs or whatever, or going to a 'bad school' in West London, it makes me laugh.
Where I am from (Napoli, Italy) in a bad area you would not last 1 week, especially if you were not white; this is not a good thing. To be stupid enough to want to be surrounded by idiots who will either be in jail or cleaning toilets is really crazy. You have to educate yourself; go to Leeds, what a beautiful city and a great university.
Of course, I understand your point; the idea of middle-class oppression and boredom is a theme that people have been fighting for years. I go to Bath, possibly one of the most middle/middle-upper class universities in the country. But you know what? It's a good time. Even nice middle-class people like to drink, to go out and to make jokes...
And you are white and don't want to be surrounded by whites? This is idiotic. I don't want to go to a university where I am a minority. I can't even say the old excuse that I have a black friend. This is your problem and it is very unique and strange.
It's not that I don't want to be "surrounded by whites" as you so eloquently put it, I just want diversity. Also, I'm not saying London is some sort of gang war-zone, that's not why I'll miss it - it's the general culture...can't really explain, nobody will ever quite understand the culture of a place unless they're from there, no matter how long they spend in a place.
babygirl110
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't worry you'll be fine, Leeds uni will probably be full of boring middle class people but then don't forget that Leeds Met is only down the road. There is more of a diversity in Uni's like Leeds Met.

My sister went to Sheffield but then liked hanging out with the Sheffield Hallam lot because the people there were much more fun and exciting. Just make sure you get involved in Leeds Met's union or society activities. My sister met Hallam Uni people through their ACS society.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (119)
17.66%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (71)
10.53%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.66%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (100)
14.84%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (65)
9.64%
How can I be the best version of myself? (200)
29.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed