PPEstudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I never saw Essex on the list so I thought why not create the panel.
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
are you a student already at the uni or a prospective one?
butterfly444
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
is there anyone thats already at essex university that can tell me a little bit about what it is actually like. ive not been able to visit the university or essex in general. i applied because it sounded good and the course they had on offer there sounded one of the best ones i'd read about.
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by butterfly444)
is there anyone thats already at essex university that can tell me a little bit about what it is actually like. ive not been able to visit the university or essex in general. i applied because it sounded good and the course they had on offer there sounded one of the best ones i'd read about.
I'm there at the moment, personally I would recommend as long as you want what it has to offer! Reputation wise, it's not the best university in the world and it's not the worst. In an interview, they're not going to read your CV and jump back in horror at where you went, but neither are they going to be outstandingly impressed. It's average, reputation wise.

As for accomodation, you have every option available to you. You can have ensuite, quiet houses with about 6 people each, a 5 minute walk away from uni, or you can have something a little bit in between, or you can stay in towers with about 14 people to a flat and 2 showers. The choice is yours. Loads of people always go for towers though as it is closest to lectures and the social scene seems to be a bit better.

As for getting involved, it's go loads of societies, karate, creative writing, parachute jumping. for nights out on campus lots of things tend to be hip hop and all that crap, they also have alternative nights, indie nights, rock nights and that sort of thing.

Don't really know what else to say really.
butterfly444
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
thanx for your help! i really hadn't heard much about it. i hope i get an offer off them!
Pencil
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I spent two years there and I wouldn't recommend it.

I had so many seminars cancelled, it was a joke and there was often little to no warning. It's especially annoying when you pay over £5 to get there and only find out it's been cancelled when your tutor doesn't turn up.

- The food is very expensive
- Students hound you daily with leaflets and surveys
- There's a lack of computers. After 8.30am, all the computer rooms are packed.
- The buses seem to arrive randomly, normally 25 minutes around the due time.
- The majority of 1st year tutors are postgraduate students - aged 21-25
- They economise by sending e-mails instead of letters
- Results are published on notice boards... they rarely send letters
- £40 late registration fee
- £80 for each essay/exam retake
- £5 for an academic transcript (a piece of A4 paper)
- 10p for each print-out, with a minimum topup of £2 debit card / £5 voucher
- Lots of chavs hang around
- Every morning, Squares 1 and 2 stink, thanks to a nearby farm
- The class/lecture timetable can last until 7.30pm
- The corridors are like mazes and stink of coffee. You WILL get lost.
- Some say this place is small and friendly. I found it large and unfriendly.
- Practically no security. Lots of people are bullied here.
- You will never EVER see the people in charge. You're more likely to see a UFO playing a Simon Cowell sing song. Sightings of your Dean is also rare. It's impossible to contact him/her unless you want to leave the course or you get into serious trouble.

There are some things which I really liked about Essex. For starters, it has a good reputation and some really friendly/knowledgable lecturers. It's close to Tesco and Colchester's town centre. There are lots of foreign students, so you get to meet people from all over the world. The library is huge and quiet and the scenery around the lake is great in the summer.
butterfly444
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol well that reviews made me no longer want to go. at the moment i have an interview for essex and offers from liverpool and portsmouth. i think portsmouth is the place i would prefer to go so far but im waiting to hear from warwick and reading. i dont think i wana go to essex no more.
tommyboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
OK. I've been away from Essex for a year and a half now, but I have to say that I really enjoyed my time there - despite certain drawbacks obviously.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- The food is very expensive [\QUOTE]
That's absolutely true - and the variety is appaling. Go to Tesco.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- There's a lack of computers. After 8.30am, all the computer rooms are packed. [\QUOTE]
Manifestly untrue. You probably never went to half the computer labs (like the ones underneath the SU Bar which are almost always empty. Occasionally you do have to try several because some are being used for teaching, but then there are some that are always open. Overall, I think, there are about 10-12 labs, the largest of which has iirc 120 computers.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- The buses seem to arrive randomly, normally 25 minutes around the due time. [\QUOTE]
Yup, that's clearly the university's fault :rolleyes And clearly different from the rest of the country.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- The majority of 1st year tutors are postgraduate students - aged 21-25 [\QUOTE]
True (although usually more in their late twenties), yet even more true of most other universities. And certainly none of my second or third year course seminars were done by graduate students - as is the case quite a few other places. Also, that doesn't necessarily affect the quality of the teaching at all.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- They economise by sending e-mails instead of letters [\QUOTE]
I never really saw it that way. E-mail is just the normal way of communicating in a lot of institutions. Why do you want letters?

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- Results are published on notice boards... they rarely send letters [\QUOTE]
Exact results aren't published on noticeboards - just the pass lists. And you can opt out from that if you don't want to - if you didn't there's no reason to complain.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- £5 for an academic transcript (a piece of A4 paper) [\QUOTE]
I agree that sometimes they do seem to want to take as much money as possible from you, although obviously there's no reason (for most people) why you would/should need late registration, exam retakes, etc. If you do that is mostly your own fault.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- 10p for each print-out, with a minimum topup of £2 debit card / £5 voucher [\QUOTE]
Was only 5p up until a year and a half ago but may have changed since I left. Again: yes, some things can turn out too expensive.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- Lots of chavs hang around [\QUOTE]
Not sure about that either. There may be some but even then they'recetainly a 'mild form of chav'...

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- The class/lecture timetable can last until 7.30pm [\QUOTE]
True - I did have a lecture from 7-8 once. Then again, in that term I had six contact hours a week and only actually had to go to lectures/seminars one day a week. So it's not as if they're dragging you into lectures when you're completely worn-out and ready to die of exhaustion, is it.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- The corridors are like mazes and stink of coffee. You WILL get lost. [\QUOTE]
It is a maze, but I find that kind of cool. It's not that hard to find a room, seriously - most people just enjoy whining about it. And the smell of coffee (mostly near the Literature department I think) only puts you off if you don't like coffee - so that's obviously not really an objectiv reason to dislike the place.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
[\QUOTE]
Well, maybe you did have a bad time. Believe me, other places are far worse.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- Practically no security. Lots of people are bullied here. [\QUOTE]
Security can be a bit inefficient - very true - because they are mostly old men now who got employed when the university was founded. I never heard of anyone getting bullied though - what do you mean by that?

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- You will never EVER see the people in charge. You're more likely to see a UFO playing a Simon Cowell sing song. Sightings of your Dean is also rare. It's impossible to contact him/her unless you want to leave the course or you get into serious trouble. [\QUOTE]
Why would you want to see them??? The middle-level people, like Course directors, undergraduate directors, even head of department are fine - but that will obviously depend on the people involved and on the department, so we can't really pass any objective judgement here either.

(Original post by Pencil)
There are some things which I really liked about Essex. For starters, it has a good reputation and some really friendly/knowledgable lecturers. It's close to Tesco and Colchester's town centre. There are lots of foreign students, so you get to meet people from all over the world. The library is huge and quiet and the scenery around the lake is great in the summer.
Yes, I guess there are good points and bad points about Essex. I certainly got pi**ed off by things when I was there (especially that, yes, things tend to be quite expensive on campus). But then, that happens everywhere. Overall, I found it an incredibly friendly place and missed it a lot when I left to do postgrad work elsewhere.

--------------

OK. I've been away from Essex for a year and a half now, but I have to say that I really enjoyed my time there - despite certain drawbacks obviously.

[QUOTE=Pencil/]
- The food is very expensive [\QUOTE]
That's absolutely true - and the variety is appaling. Go to Tesco.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- There's a lack of computers. After 8.30am, all the computer rooms are packed. [\QUOTE]
Manifestly untrue. You probably never went to half the computer labs (like the ones underneath the SU Bar which are almost always empty. Occasionally you do have to try several because some are being used for teaching, but then there are some that are always open. Overall, I think, there are about 10-12 labs, the largest of which has iirc 120 computers.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- The buses seem to arrive randomly, normally 25 minutes around the due time. [\QUOTE]
Yup, that's clearly the university's fault :rolleyes And clearly different from the rest of the country.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- The majority of 1st year tutors are postgraduate students - aged 21-25 [\QUOTE]
True (although usually more in their late twenties), yet even more true of most other universities. And certainly none of my second or third year course seminars were done by graduate students - as is the case quite a few other places. Also, that doesn't necessarily affect the quality of the teaching at all.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- They economise by sending e-mails instead of letters [\QUOTE]
I never really saw it that way. E-mail is just the normal way of communicating in a lot of institutions. Why do you want letters?

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- Results are published on notice boards... they rarely send letters [\QUOTE]
Exact results aren't published on noticeboards - just the pass lists. And you can opt out from that if you don't want to - if you didn't there's no reason to complain.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- £5 for an academic transcript (a piece of A4 paper) [\QUOTE]
I agree that sometimes they do seem to want to take as much money as possible from you, although obviously there's no reason (for most people) why you would/should need late registration, exam retakes, etc. If you do that is mostly your own fault.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- 10p for each print-out, with a minimum topup of £2 debit card / £5 voucher [\QUOTE]
Was only 5p up until a year and a half ago but may have changed since I left. Again: yes, some things can turn out too expensive.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- Lots of chavs hang around [\QUOTE]
Not sure about that either. There may be some but even then they'recetainly a 'mild form of chav'...

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- The class/lecture timetable can last until 7.30pm [\QUOTE]
True - I did have a lecture from 7-8 once. Then again, in that term I had six contact hours a week and only actually had to go to lectures/seminars one day a week. So it's not as if they're dragging you into lectures when you're completely worn-out and ready to die of exhaustion, is it.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- The corridors are like mazes and stink of coffee. You WILL get lost. [\QUOTE]
It is a maze, but I find that kind of cool. It's not that hard to find a room, seriously - most people just enjoy whining about it. And the smell of coffee (mostly near the Literature department I think) only puts you off if you don't like coffee - so that's obviously not really an objectiv reason to dislike the place.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
[\QUOTE]
Well, maybe you did have a bad time. Believe me, other places are far worse.

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- Practically no security. Lots of people are bullied here. [\QUOTE]
Security can be a bit inefficient - very true - because they are mostly old men now who got employed when the university was founded. I never heard of anyone getting bullied though - what do you mean by that?

[QUOTE=Pencil]
- You will never EVER see the people in charge. You're more likely to see a UFO playing a Simon Cowell sing song. Sightings of your Dean is also rare. It's impossible to contact him/her unless you want to leave the course or you get into serious trouble. [\QUOTE]
Why would you want to see them??? The middle-level people, like Course directors, undergraduate directors, even head of department are fine - but that will obviously depend on the people involved and on the department, so we can't really pass any objective judgement here either.

Yes, I guess there are good points and bad points about Essex. I certainly got pi**ed off by things when I was there (especially that, yes, things tend to be quite expensive on campus). But then, that happens everywhere. Overall, I found it an incredibly friendly place and missed it a lot when I left to do postgrad work elsewhere.
arkbar
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Opinion is opinion, many of the things stated on that list (hounding students, full computer rooms,1st year tutors being postgrads,late lectures,smelly rooms) apply to just about anywhere you go.
El Scotto
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I spent two years there and I wouldn't recommend it.

I had so many seminars cancelled, it was a joke and there was often little to no warning. It's especially annoying when you pay over £5 to get there and only find out it's been cancelled when your tutor doesn't turn up.

- The food is very expensive
- Students hound you daily with leaflets and surveys
- There's a lack of computers. After 8.30am, all the computer rooms are packed.
- The buses seem to arrive randomly, normally 25 minutes around the due time.
- The majority of 1st year tutors are postgraduate students - aged 21-25
- They economise by sending e-mails instead of letters
- Results are published on notice boards... they rarely send letters
- £5 for an academic transcript (a piece of A4 paper)
- 10p for each print-out, with a minimum topup of £2 debit card / £5 voucher
- Lots of chavs hang around
- Every morning, Squares 1 and 2 stink, thanks to a nearby farm
- The class/lecture timetable can last until 7.30pm
- The corridors are like mazes and stink of coffee. You WILL get lost.
- Practically no security. Lots of people are bullied here.
- You will never EVER see the people in charge. You're more likely to see a UFO playing a Simon Cowell sing song. Sightings of your Dean is also rare. It's impossible to contact him/her unless you want to leave the course or you get into serious trouble.

I considered essex but I looked at the website and they were lazy with that so I thought they're probably lazy with other things. sounds like my gut instict is right! (being close to tescos is probably one of the worst plus points ever!)
rhiannonhughes5
Report 13 years ago
i've lived in colchester all my life and it is sooooooooo boring!!yer the nightlife's ok for one weekend but there's only 2 clubs in the town centre. i came to leeds and it is so much better the uni is on your doorstep and there's so much to do...so cheap whereas colchester can work out quite expensive. the area the students live in is called greenstead and is an absolute dive..although a lot safer than the ghetto i'm living in at the mo in leeds. but all my mates that went to essex regret it and wish they;d gone somewhere else!!!so if i were you i'd say think big and go to a uni with good campus life and in a big town or city where you can meet loads of new people. i know someone said it was a plus to have loads of international students but at my uni they ignore all the english people, even though we've tried our hardest to be nice to them...they just all hang bout in their own group and speak a million languages talking bout u thinking u don't understand!!!anyways thats a bit of a rant over. if after all this u do stay at essex stay in the towers..wicked nightlife..from what i hear even though they're skanky to live in!!!
butterfly444
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
oh wel i turned down my offer from essex. def not going now!
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I feel like i should jump in and defend my uni from abuse, but most of it is true. The only plus point, if it is a plus point, is that they will literally accept ANYONE onto their degree scheme, no matter what a-levels you get. Which was useful to me because I had been to york uni the year before and messed it up slightly.

Anyway, its a useful local uni that will get you a non-awful, non-outstanding degree at the end of the day. Meh.
PPEstudent
Rep:
?
Well I started this thread thinking 'why isnt a good uni like essex on the list'? I got an offer from them but after what I read I am def turning it down.
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
These are just peoples opinions though - if you applied for essex in the first place then there must have been something about it you liked. Why not try and visit it to see what you think? or go on an open day - you'll get to talk to students who are currently studying there and they can answer any questions you might have.
cheeky0011
Report 13 years ago
hi every1 i really liked the look of essex, i fink its each 2 their own personally. Theres not 1 uni that has all positive comments. UNI IS WHAT U MAKE IT!!! a good website to look at is unofficial uni guides. com look it up in google its a fantastic website with lots of different opinions on every uni. xxx
Suzie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well Hertforshire is on the ''list'' and they deff aint 1 of the best unis... and i go to essex and i love it!
ForeverIsMyName
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But when you have a look at the league tables for Philosophy n politics it comes around 7 or 8th in the whole country each time... thats pretty darn good!
uthinkilltellu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
essex are good for economics, but not for anything else. in every uni you'll find problems, lots in some, few in others. having said that, i haven't applied to it... chose RHUL instead.
PPEstudent
Rep:
?
Does any of you have an interview on the 14th in Essex for PPE?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (6)
7.59%
Disagree (5)
6.33%
Neither agree or disagree (22)
27.85%
Agree (32)
40.51%
Strongly Agree (14)
17.72%

Watched Threads

Latest