everytimesaybye
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi everyone,

I've got conditional offers for Human Resource Management at KCL and LSE. Basically, I'm not sure which one to choose. The thing is that fees at LSE is around £17 000 but at KCL is "only"(in comparison to LSE of course) £10 000. What do you think, the amount of money they want reflects the quality of teaching//job prospects? is LSE really worth that much money? Both unis are very highly reputable, however how do the employers look at the grads from both unis? What would you recommend, or maaybe you have personal experience? It's very important decision for me...so all help appreciated! cheers !
VidyaV
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey!

Congratulations on your offer I applied to both courses as well - IR & HRM at LSE and HR & OA at KCL. I heard back from both of which got an offer from KCL and a reject from LSE. I was thoroughly disappointed because i had my heart set on LSE. With my offer in had I started to talk to people about the course and explain my situation and my obvious bias towards LSE. The more I speak to people, the more they tell me that King's is a school of great quality and repute. Some even say that a Management course (such as this particular course in HRM) at King's would be a better choice than LSE whose strengths are in Economics and the Social Sciences.

Although I thought of deferring it by a year just to apply to LSE again, I took a look at the course content in both and found that their fairly different. Thats what helped me make my decision. I love the course at King's - a whole lot more than the on at LSE which appears very bland.

In effect, my suggestion would be this. Take a look at the course content to find one that you think you'll do better in and will probably draw more value from. KCL and LSE may not share the exact same reputation but KCL in a lot of ways is almost up there with King's.
everytimesaybye
Rep:
?
hey! thank you very much for your reply and congratulations for your offer at King's! I had the same feeling about the course content at LSE but still LSE is LSE. It is the most competitive university in the UK (along with Oxbridge of course) therefore I was of the opinion that is has to be better regarded in the eyes of employers. Because in fact this what really matters when doing MSc is job prospect, isn't it? I've heard opnions that with a master from LSE people are placed in much,let's call it, privileged position. I'm aware that at the end of a day it is not a university which gives you a job but skills, luck, experience etc. but it is a university which gives you interviews. Thus,at least some chance to present yourself. On the other hand, I know that King's is also very reputtable but rather well known only in the UK. As far as I'm concerned the management department at KCL is quite small and relatively new, so do you think that employers will value a degree from KCL the same as the one from LSE?

I know I sound like I was only interested in job prospects after graduating, but indeed, that's what I'm really worried about. Especially because even £10 000 is lots of money, therefore I don't want to invest it unwisely and then be unemployed ;-) OMG! I'm so confused...

Thanks again for your reply and if you have some more interesting views to share, I'd appreciate
VidyaV
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Haha I completely understand where you're coming from. It's a big investment with a lot riding on it, so it's important to weigh your options before making a choice.

I have a question here though. Of the two courses that LSE offers in Human Resources, which one do you have an offer for - Management in Human Resources or IR & Human Resource Management? If it's the management course, I would definitely recommend LSE without a second choice. It's a great course, very competitive got CIPD accreditation (apparently a big plusif you're looking for employment in the UK post study) and not to mention the LSE brand.

It's in comparison to the second choice that I find the course at King's better. It focus on theory and practice of HR and skips the whole cross cultural drama Besides, the course just seems a whole lot more enjoyable.

Also I strongly believe that the more you enjoy the course content, the more you're going to want to willingly push yourself to work hard and gain all those skills and experience you were talking about. The confidence from that is what will help you ace the interview
noodlesandsoup
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would go for LSE!!! LSE has a stronger brand name...and is more reputable in that field...but Kings is still a very good university
everytimesaybye
Rep:
?
I got an offer for Msc Management and Human Resource. In general terms, the course content is different from that offered by KCL. At King's there are in fact two more subjects being taught at this course. This is a quite striking difference, because above all I really want to learn something. I'm currently doing LLB law and I do not have any background in management or HR, thus I'm not sure whether six subjects are really enough to equip me with appropriate knowledge. On the other hand, yes LSE is a brand name, that's like with brand clothes we buy them because they're recognizable and reputtable. Overall, if tuition fees were on the same level at both unis, I wouldn't ponder over further. Nevertheless, this £7000 more just for the brand and fewer subjects...don't know whether it is a reasonable option. I have a feeling that King's is more appropraiate for me in terms of subjects and student life, but as it it is commonly said "none rejects an offer from LSE" and I'm really worried about job prospects after King's. However, on the other hand, none said that LSE quarantees job as well....thus I really don't know what to do. That's very hard decision for me, one of the tughtest I've ever had to make... Thanks guys for your help
VidyaV
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was under the assumption that UK/EU applicants paid a much lower fee.
Given that you have no prior background in Management, I would say that the course at King's would probably fit your circumstance like you said. The course has elements of basics in Human Resource Management, a bit of finance and some 'lighter' courses dealing with employee well being and diversity. The course at LSE is more focussed on the theory and practice of HR in a European Context and associated topics such as Organisational Behaviour.

Employment opportunity wise, LSE or King's is pretty much going to get you the same thing. If you're good at what you do, there's no reason for companies to turn you down. I've known of several LSE graduates who have come back to India and found nothing to do for nearly a year.

I know that this is a really tough decision but from going through the horror of admissions and seeing from friends go through the same thing over the last few months, it's best not to over-think it. Best thing here would be to make a decision pretty much at the gut level.
simply.me
Report 9 years ago
Hello everyone! Congratulations to all of you on getting an offer from Kings

I was looking at the Postgraduate programs at KCL, and I found Human Resource Management & Organizational Analysis quite interesting. But I am a bit lost over the entry requirements.

I am a Canadian citizen (originally from India), and I'll be graduating soon with a Pure Mathematics major and Biochemistry minor. I don't have any background in Management (though I'll be taking some related courses, like economics and organizational behaviour this summer and fall). My GPA is not that great - it's 3.22 (and I hope to be at 3.33 by the end of my degree). I have fair amount of volunteer work (including family business and some leadership work at my university).

Realistically do I even stand a chance?
simply.me
Report 9 years ago
No one here to help me out????
everytimesaybye
Rep:
?
(Original post by simply.me)
No one here to help me out????
Sorry but you need to contact KCL directly, as we have no idea about Canadian qualifications ;-)
VAB
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello Vidya, Could I please see your personal statement to LSE's Human Resource Management programme? Struggling a bit at the moment. Thanks
Cheena12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi , I think LSE is better as a brand . If finances is something which you can manage then I think you should definitely go for LSE . In terms of what employers look for - well college and brand does matter but only to a certain extent , what matters in the long run is the knowledge of the subject you acquired and how you effectively you will be able to put your knowledge as a value add to the organisation . Hope you are able to make a wise decision for yourself . Congratulations , Enjoy life and Happy Learning Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (183)
14.27%
I'm not sure (59)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (377)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (626)
48.83%

Watched Threads