Best Books for Contract Law

Watch this thread
apcycles
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
My apologies if this thread already exists. But my question is as per above. I am currently using J Poole's Textbook for Contract LAw as well as its Casebook. Understandably, i find them pretty uninspired, thus this prompts my posting of this thread.

I heard that Burrow's Casebook on Contract Law is pretty good. But unfortunately, this book doesnt exist in my university's library nor bookshop. Thus i will also like to hear fellow forummer's opinions before buying.

Comments please!

Cheers
gethsemane342
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by apcycles)
My apologies if this thread already exists. But my question is as per above. I am currently using J Poole's Textbook for Contract LAw as well as its Casebook. Understandably, i find them pretty uninspired, thus this prompts my posting of this thread.

I heard that Burrow's Casebook on Contract Law is pretty good. But unfortunately, this book doesnt exist in my university's library nor bookshop. Thus i will also like to hear fellow forummer's opinions before buying.

Comments please!

Cheers
Burrows Casebook is really good. It's clear, concise and even sums up articles for you.

If not, O'Sullivan and Hilliard's book is fairly good. It's quite structured and has some useful arguments as well as being concise.

I've heard Anson on contract is also very good but haven't tried it.

(A lot of people use McKendrick but i never got into it. It seems like a lot of dense reading)

(Also, Treitel is very authoritive but so dense you probably need to know the course before you read it/ be a complete genius, so i'd avoid it if you just want to learn)
apcycles
Rep:
Thanks for the affirmation for Burrow!
jjarvis
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by gethsemane342)
Burrows Casebook is really good. It's clear, concise and even sums up articles for you.

If not, O'Sullivan and Hilliard's book is fairly good. It's quite structured and has some useful arguments as well as being concise.

I've heard Anson on contract is also very good but haven't tried it.

(A lot of people use McKendrick but i never got into it. It seems like a lot of dense reading)

(Also, Treitel is very authoritive but so dense you probably need to know the course before you read it/ be a complete genius, so i'd avoid it if you just want to learn)
I agree with the verdicts on all of these.

I use Burrows and O'Sullivan and Hilliard, and dip into Anson occasionally. I started with McKendrick but think it's in an awkward position--not as clear and well-structured as O&H, and not as in-depth and comprehensive as Anson. (FWIW, I own all four. I'd recommend buying the first two and using your library's copy of Anson--make them buy the 2010 edition if they don't have it.) Treitel is great for looking up a particular point, or getting his line on a controversy, but it's best avoided when you're trying to learn the basics. Chitty is best reserved for preparing for moots.
apcycles
Rep:
Thank you both!
VitaminB12
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Mckendrick is an incredible book if you're willing to study it closely. It's been a life saver in mooting and exams.
Steveo2009
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
As an introductory book, I'd recommend Elliott & Quinn as it breaks down the subject into manageable sizes which would then give you the basic knowledge to read some of the more complex textbooks, even Treitel.
junhong
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I used Elliot & Quinn too, its pretty comprehensive and Treitel. Both are good.
tonberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
McKendrick's "Text Cases and Materials"
Selym95
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Steveo2009)
As an introductory book, I'd recommend Elliott & Quinn as it breaks down the subject into manageable sizes which would then give you the basic knowledge to read some of the more complex textbooks, even Treitel.
Would this book be appropriate for a 6th former who wants to experience an introduction into contract law, and possibly write about it in their Personal Statement, if not what would you recommend?
andymt
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Chen-Wishart
Jamesisonfire
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
There's a book on contract by Koffman which is good. I used the Jill Poole book for my first year of law, and it was good - you just need to know where to look as a lot of things are jumbled about.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
AuburnGem
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I swear by McKendrick. It was a god send for me
AuburnGem
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bramz19)
I was literally going to post 'I swear by Chen-Wishart' haha, but McKendrick's decent, I used both of them tbh.
Well I got there first...you snooze, you lose
finalfantasy
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
which McKenzier are you refering to?

1. Contract Law (Palgrave Macmillan Law Masters)

2. Contract Law Text Cases and Materials

?
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Burrows' Casebook >>> everything else
finalfantasy
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
and is Treitel more detailed or Cases, Materials?
ColonelJafar
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
If anyone is reading this thread in 2015 and is doing Contract Law next year, make sure you get McKendrick's 'Contract Law:Text, Cases and Materials'. I cannot stress this enough.
SRahim
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Does anyone know any textbooks that would have exam questions and sample answers?
GeneralStudent95
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I use Anson and find it very good - comprehensive, but manageable for someone starting off. After learning from Anson there is very little which I then needed to go and look up elsewhere. As everyone said, Chitty and then Treitel are the authoritative books for citing in moots / legal practice and will go into a lot more detail.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (42)
68.85%
No (15)
24.59%
I didn't use it to prepare (4)
6.56%

Watched Threads