Unsure where to go or what do in my life Watch

BuzzLightyear
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Sorry if this isn't the right place. Basically at the moment, I'm struggling with what to do with my life. I didn't have the best school life growing up, tried to be the one fitting in with people I didn't and so lost touch with all the people I met in school. Have a few mates of the same age that have gone off to university but I have worked in a school for the past 3 years from 17 - 20 and feel that this has made me mature way to quickly and so struggle to enjoy the time I spend with them. Also got a few mates from work but they are 24+ and when we go out again I can get on with them well but still feel odd as I don't quite fit in with some of their sense of humour and other stuff. Also I'm pretty sick of my my job, I'm an ICT Technician and I'm sick of being the guy people come to when they have problems and being moaned at and as soon as they're fixed not even a thank you. I would love to do something rewarding and wouldn't mind going to university but don't know what to do as I really don't have any interests that much which is sad I know, I am good with computers but can't stand working with them either. The only thing I would say I enjoy is cooking and Jamie Oliver is quite a big role model for me as I like his laid back style and attitude etc but whenever I have said/thought about going into cooking have been told not to as the hours are crap as is the pay and I would be leaving a well paid job to go back to college for nothing!!!

I really need some help please guys I don't know who to turn to or where to go or what to do!
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
so why don't you do cooking in your spare time for now, like take a night course or something, and use it as an addition to your ICT instead of thinking about immediately jumping from one career path to another.

You can't spend your life doing something you hate though. Imagine getting to your death bed, looking back on your life, and realising you hated what you did and regretting not even attempting the cooking.
sherlllll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Dw Buzz, you'll be fine. Haven't you seen Toy Story 3?

ON a serious note buddy, I suggest really working on your cooking on your spare time, brushing up on recipes and practising, it shouldn't be too stressful if you enjoy it and find it engaging. Then you can see whether a job in the cooking/catering industry is the right thing for you. That way you still keep your job and don't do anything too hasty, you've got some degree of security; losing a relatively well paid job could be a bad move, especially in these times etc..
Kerr Avon
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Unsure where to go or what do in my life.

Really? EVERYONE is having these sorts of problems. You just need to sit down calmly, list all the things you like doing or would want to do, and start making plans about where you want to go. If you want to do some research into careers, I can highly recommend this site.
http://www.connexions-direct.com/job...dex.cfm?pid=18
As for your social life, I have barely any friends at all, so don't worry about it.:sadnod:As for more advice, the people above me have got some good ideas too, you should get practising with your cooking in your spare time. :cool:
Most importantly, DON'T WORRY! From what I can see, you're going to be just fine in life.
Anazoth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wow, i felt like i was reading my biography lol. I enjoy cooking a lot but i tend to use it as a hobby rather than a chore.

I am in the same boat as you buzz so i can offer no suggestions
hunagdi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I feel for you. I read philosophy and now I feel like I'm ****ing forty.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (42)
13.77%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (26)
8.52%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (61)
20%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (44)
14.43%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (36)
11.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (96)
31.48%

Watched Threads