Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have just joined !

I am almost 31 years old and married with 2 daughters aged 6 and 18 months.

I have been a hotel manager for 8 years and now I am a Housewife (Domestic Goddess as I like to be known) !

I am really needing some help and advice !

I would love to study, so that when my children are older I can have a good well paid job and also use the grey cells which have been rather dormant since I left school !

I am bright however I lost interest in my GCSE's and therefore have the following qualifications:

GCSE - Eng Lang B
    GCSE - Modular Science Dual Award C C
    (3 GCSES)

Also have a BTEC 1st Diploma in Business and Finance (seems to count for nothing in Uni Prospectus's)

I have been looking in Access Courses or Level ) degrees at Sunderland Uni.

My subject interests are

Biology, Forensics, Genetics, Chemistry
    English Lang, Psychology, Sociology

Bit of a Mixed bag there, my bad points ate MATHS ! I am crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice, like should I do A Levels or Access ? What kind of course would be good for me ?

I would be doing to a levels and access over a few years as I have a family and time is........well I am guessing some of you will know !

Really just want to see whether it is worth pursuing at my OLD AGE !!!!!! LOL

Thanks in advance !

Cx

ReputationRep:
    Well first of all, well done for looking at the university in the best city in the world ( ) and secondly I would say an access course would be best suited to you. Access courses are made for mature students with limited or no qualifications many lasting less than a year allowing you to progress onto a specific degree. As for what course to do, well only you can choose this, nobody but you has any idea of what would interest you or what you feel you would most enjoy, I suggest you check this site out, It is a site made by UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Addmission Service) It lists all access courses by type and area, do a little research and find a course that is best for you, and good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Phone up the uni's that ya interested in and ask them what you would need 2 get in. They more leanient with mature students.
    The access coures part time over 2 years would suit you better.........but then thats 5 years of studyin......... if u wanna do it go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help!

Can anyone tell me.................

I have 3 x GCSE's (BCC)
    and a BTEC 1st Diploma, which is a level 2 qualification.

Does this mean I have any points ?

The courses all seem to ask for points, was wondering if I have any with these at all?

thanks x

--------------

Also to brush up on maths my college has a level 2 maths certificate (not gcse) which I can start anytime just to try and get a feel for studying again, do you think this will be useful (can't do a levels or anything til next sept) !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charley24)
    Thanks for the help!

Can anyone tell me.................

I have 3 x GCSE's (BCC)
    and a BTEC 1st Diploma, which is a level 2 qualification.

Does this mean I have any points ?

The courses all seem to ask for points, was wondering if I have any with these at all?

thanks x

--------------

Also to brush up on maths my college has a level 2 maths certificate (not gcse) which I can start anytime just to try and get a feel for studying again, do you think this will be useful (can't do a levels or anything til next sept) !
    I think your BTEC does, but your GCSE's dont, go here for more info.

ReputationRep:
    No, doesn't appear that does either, as the only one on that page is the national, not the first

What a shame ! Never mind just thought I would ask so THANKYOU !

Think I will just do some a levels, cheaper than the access course for me as I have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    Ask the uni if they do APEL - it's an assessment of prior experience and learning through life / work experience .... some places admit mature students on the basis of this alone.

I'd have a chat with the admissions tutor before you start on any study.

Good luck

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.