The Student Room Group

Fashion help for bowed legged girl?

I'm a 16 year old girl and sadly i have bowed legs. to those who don't know what it means, my knees don't join together when i put my legs together. ny legs are bent. sadly, it kinda looks like the ricket diseased kids legs. but i don't have the disease, my dad has bowed legs so it's inheritable. i'm really not sure what kind of jeans i should wear. should i or should i not wear skinny jeans? and well, i don't wear skirts or dresses so forget bout them. and should i buy the knee high boots? i LOVE them but i don't think i'll buy them if they make my bent legs look more prominent. please help me. i can't believe i didn't realise my bowed legs till now. :s-smilie:

so my two questions are:

1. what kind of jeans should i wear?
2. should i buy knee high boots or not?
Reply 1
Now that you mention it, neither do mine.
Reply 2
Personally, high boots may be a good choice.

But I thought maybe the dress is more good. Since you can try some leggings which let others focus on the leggings rather than the leg shape. Also, legging is pop these days!!!
Reply 3
BTW, i thought if there is any medical treatment could help you to reshape???Perhaps?
Why don't you go out shopping with your mum and try on every different style of jean (skinny, bootcut, slim leg etc) and see how you feel? Surely it's whether or not you feel it's obvious that matters, and you won't know until you try them :smile: x
Reply 5
Original post by Lisa.S
BTW, i thought if there is any medical treatment could help you to reshape???Perhaps?

won't legging show the leg shape? and that will just make my legs look more prominent right? as for the medical treatment, i guess there are the rods one wear on legs, but i think that can only be done during childhood when the bones are soft. i'm 16 so i guess it's kinda late now. thanks for your advice though. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by blinkbelle
Why don't you go out shopping with your mum and try on every different style of jean (skinny, bootcut, slim leg etc) and see how you feel? Surely it's whether or not you feel it's obvious that matters, and you won't know until you try them :smile: x

yeah, i was actually thinking bout doing that. thanks! :smile:
Reply 7
boot cut jeans with heeled ankle boots :smile: Skinny jeans could work, but if you're self conscious about your legs I wouldn't suggest them
Reply 8
Ankle boots, knee high boots and skinny jeans may make you look a bit like a jockey.
I'm sure it's hardly noticeable, everyone has too many flaws of their own to notice other people's - honest!
How about the jeans that flare from the knee down? They should even up the shape.
As someone above said, just go try on everything - what better excuse for a mammoth shop? :smile:
I have bowed legs and I used to avoid wearing skirts, dresses and shorts because I thought it looked awful and made my legs more noticeable. Now I wear skinny jeans and jeggings and when I go out I wear dresses. Just wear what you feel comfortable in. You shouldn't have to avoid certain types of clothing.
Reply 10
Original post by znbh
won't legging show the leg shape? and that will just make my legs look more prominent right? as for the medical treatment, i guess there are the rods one wear on legs, but i think that can only be done during childhood when the bones are soft. i'm 16 so i guess it's kinda late now. thanks for your advice though. :smile:

Nope. I can show you a picture which wont show the shape at all.

But I dont know how to put it on...= = confused
Loose hareem pants
Knee length skirts/dresses

Jeans are probably a no
Reply 12
I have this problem but have learned what to wear. Be careful of body dysmorphia, where you can exaggerate the problem in your mind - e.g. Kate Moss and Pamela Anderson both have slightly bowed legs, it's cute. I understand though, I'm not keen on mine!

1. Boot cut jeans or trousers really even out the 'bow'. Try to avoid jeans with too much 'stretch' e.g. I find 2 percent lycra quite enough! It's because you want it tighter on the thigh and knee and then skimming past the lower leg to disguise it. Any shoes then work ok, but I go for a mid heel as it lengthens the leg. Ballet pumps tend not to be comfy with bow legs

2. I avoided mini dresses and skirts for years, which is a shame as sometimes you want to glam up. Now I have loads ... but I always wear them with long boots. Am very choosy about the boot - you should find that flat knee length (esp. black, slimming) boots in suade rather than leather work, if they are a 'loose-ish' or layered fit. This again is because they don't tightly emphasise the bend

3. If wearing shorts and daring to bare, a good tan distracts (see Pammy and Kate again!) and makes it look cuter, and I find a 'gladiator' style that covers the curve around the ankle and lower leg (where it starts bowing) looks best.

I should mention, with the long boots and short skirts ... for bow legs, funnily flats or only a very low heel work best - you'll notice a high heel empasises the bend. I tend to wear black opaque tights with it for a funky look. You may get away with ankle boots and black opaques if the boots are not tight at the ankle.

Hope these tips work, years of trial and error so I think it works! Nobody has ever mentioned the bow!
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm a 16 year old girl and sadly i have bowed legs. to those who don't know what it means, my knees don't join together when i put my legs together. ny legs are bent. sadly, it kinda looks like the ricket diseased kids legs. but i don't have the disease, my dad has bowed legs so it's inheritable. i'm really not sure what kind of jeans i should wear. should i or should i not wear skinny jeans? and well, i don't wear skirts or dresses so forget bout them. and should i buy the knee high boots? i LOVE them but i don't think i'll buy them if they make my bent legs look more prominent. please help me. i can't believe i didn't realise my bowed legs till now. :s-smilie:

so my two questions are:
I have the same problem with my legs :-(
I often look on the net at Kate Moss for style ideas. I love wearing short dresses and boots, high heal suede boots work work best for me, they aren't too tight around the leg.
If you are like me, I don't mind my thighs so the shorter (as Kate Moss says) the better, people look at your nice thighs instead of the bottom of the legs.
I prefer the winterery seasons and dread what to wear in the summertime although I think the shorter the shorts the better! Some people have huge legs and can't wear short things!
You are young, enjoy your figure and the clothes you like!
Oh and with regards to jeans, I go for slim jeans instead of skinny from Levi's... They are in fashion, you can wear boots with them and they flatter your legs more than skinny. Kate Moss is famous, try to like your legs, I try! 😘
Reply 15
am 31 i have outward bow legs. I overcame the problems by simply LOVING MY LEGS AS THEY ARE. I wear skirts that are slightly above the knee. I walk tall like a model. i walk measured paces with confidence. Exhibit confidence despite you bowed legs. I dont drag my legs to follow their posture. I can tell you its magical!!!. some people especially men comment on how beautiful my legs are. Now am married with 2 kids. My Hubby never stops commenting about them. we joke about them in my house. Go to shop ask for help for clothes that Define You not what you think you should wear because of yr bowed legs. Free yourself you will be surprised how positive thoughts about yourself can be liberating
True story. Self love and appreciation make you worthy, not the shape of your legs. Please don't lose time or sleep agonising over the shape of your legs, which worm perfectly fine. Wear whatever you want. So what if people stare? I wonder when was the last time those people went for a health screening? Thank God you are healthy and your legs aren't broken.
My legs are large and really bandy yet I'm slim. I would love to wear skinny jeans or a shorter dress but am too self conscious. I look at other people's legs all the time and am so envious. I'm 63 by the way.Mazzy
I bet straight leg jeans are the great choice or loose trousers to hide your legs. Mine isn't that bowed out so choosing a straight leg pants are great
I have slight bow legs too and used to feel really insecure about them till recently. I was really like totally insecure about them, even to checking online for exercises to straighten them, padding my socks to make it seem like I’ve go straight legs (they looked really weird and I’d end up removing it in school😂) but I’m starting to realize most people; guys too, like the bow legs. You need to be comfortable with them and if you feel they’re too skinny, begin leg workouts to add a bit of muscle to improve their appearance, improve your walking step (walk with confidence - I used to walk really fast so people won’t notice them). You can wear whatever you want to. All that matters is your confidence and posture. You are hot! Don’t make anyone make you feel otherwise. Develop yourself; if you feel you don’t look good enough, start doing stuffs that’ll make you feel better (I started working out and I’m so loving myself rn). Girl, you’re amazing! I hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest