The Student Room Group

Physics or Economics. Please help me decide my future!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Moiraclaire
If you get a good Physics degree (from a good uni) you can easily get a job in a bank. I've heard a hedge-fund manager say two of his colleagues had Phds in theoretical physics. Physics is one of the most challenging degrees (in terms of understanding not workload). Also it'll be easier to get a uni place for Physics because way fewer people apply. hope this helps <3 :tongue:
have you looked and engineering economics and management - they do it at Oxford.

Ok, but will I need to do another like 1-2 year degree in Banking, Finance and such to get a job or can I just apply for jobs straight away with my Physics degree?
Reply 61
Tons of physics graduates get finance jobs, iirc there was some research done a couple of years back and good degrees in physics or maths were the least restrictive in terms of employment and the best for salary (and that's not because research maths and physics are well paid).
Reply 62
Original post by hyn_shayan
Those long hours are worth it though. The financial award is huge!

If you're a real maths whiz and going at dealing with stress, I would recommend going into hedge funds, successful hedge funders make big money.
Hi, my name is Shayan Amin and these are probably the choices I will be making in the next few weeks for my A-Level :

-Physics
-Economics
-Maths
-Further Maths

In the near future, I would like to specialize in either Economics or Physics for a degree. To focus on this I've made sure that I've chosen these subjects for GCSE. Now, I want to forward think and plan ahead so when it is UCAS application time then I don't have a mental breakdown of what I wan't to do with my life. My GCSE predictions are straight A*'s which I hope I will get.

Firstly, Physics is probably the one science I have passion for. I respect all three science, including biology and chemistry, but I believe Physics is the one I am attracted to and it is the one that most intrigues me. The love for Physics that I have is remarkable. I will grab any opportunity to learn about the physical world and it's laws. Furthermore, I've been told by my Maths teacher that I'm extremely gifted in the area of Mathematics so I hope this will supplement my learning of Physics

Secondly, Economics is also again probably the one humanitarian subject that quenches my thirst for knowledge. My whole family has been involved in business and finance back to the early roots of our family tree. My father constantly tells me that the gift for finance is in 'our blood'. Again, my love for economics remains strong because : (1) I'm good at it and (2) It is a family business so it's something that can be discussed over our dinner table.

Now, I cannot decide which field I would like to enter in the future. I believe that Physics is more intellectually demanding as it has much more depth that Economics. However, after discussion with my Dad; he and others I have talked to say that Economics is more suitable for practical life as it offers a better financial position in the future and there is greater labor demand for the subject right now.

Any advice on the pros and cons of both subjects and what is a more suitable option for my future? Ultimately, I get to decide but your opinions will be of high value to me in the next couple of years

I would also like to point out that I am hoping to get admission into a top university as I continuously strive for the best so any advice on those would also be useful.

Kind regards,

Shayan Amin

Out of interest, at the moment, what have you decided on about choosing Economics or Physics?
Reply 64
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Economics, for a degree, hard, yes. Money, yes, a lot more than you can earn with a physics degree.

EDIT: Why neg reps? I'm right, and if you think I'm not, then counter it.

Bull****!
Hi, my name is Shayan Amin and these are probably the choices I will be making in the next few weeks for my A-Level :

-Physics
-Economics
-Maths
-Further Maths

In the near future, I would like to specialize in either Economics or Physics for a degree. To focus on this I've made sure that I've chosen these subjects for GCSE. Now, I want to forward think and plan ahead so when it is UCAS application time then I don't have a mental breakdown of what I wan't to do with my life. My GCSE predictions are straight A*'s which I hope I will get.

Firstly, Physics is probably the one science I have passion for. I respect all three science, including biology and chemistry, but I believe Physics is the one I am attracted to and it is the one that most intrigues me. The love for Physics that I have is remarkable. I will grab any opportunity to learn about the physical world and it's laws. Furthermore, I've been told by my Maths teacher that I'm extremely gifted in the area of Mathematics so I hope this will supplement my learning of Physics

Secondly, Economics is also again probably the one humanitarian subject that quenches my thirst for knowledge. My whole family has been involved in business and finance back to the early roots of our family tree. My father constantly tells me that the gift for finance is in 'our blood'. Again, my love for economics remains strong because : (1) I'm good at it and (2) It is a family business so it's something that can be discussed over our dinner table.

Now, I cannot decide which field I would like to enter in the future. I believe that Physics is more intellectually demanding as it has much more depth that Economics. However, after discussion with my Dad; he and others I have talked to say that Economics is more suitable for practical life as it offers a better financial position in the future and there is greater labor demand for the subject right now.

Any advice on the pros and cons of both subjects and what is a more suitable option for my future? Ultimately, I get to decide but your opinions will be of high value to me in the next couple of years

I would also like to point out that I am hoping to get admission into a top university as I continuously strive for the best so any advice on those would also be useful.

Kind regards,

Shayan Amin

Economics is not about getting into Business or finance. Have you even read around in the subject?
Reply 66
I'd say physics. As it offers a broader range of careers for you, and in my opinion it's more interesting.

Also consider the fact that if you want to do something involving finance both physics and economics can get you a job in that sector (although obviously there will be an advantage with economics).

Quick Reply

Latest