Do american universities like A-Levels? Watch

This discussion is closed.
toxi
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I'm currently doing my A-Levels and I would like to apply for some unis in the USA, but I've been told that they don't like A-Levels, they want SAT's...

I've also been told that only a few unis accept them, one of them is Yale, although it is not the uni I'd like to go.

Anyone know more about it?
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by toxi)
I'm currently doing my A-Levels and I would like to apply for some unis in the USA, but I've been told that they don't like A-Levels, they want SAT's...

I've also been told that only a few unis accept them, one of them is Yale, although it is not the uni I'd like to go.

US costs a lot.
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by toxi)

Yes, generally Alevels are highly regarded. Though you are able to trade off completed Alevels for Sat II....you still really have to Sat I.
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
all unis like A levels and recognise them....most universities will give u credit for A level....i.e most british students will get almost a year off.......however sat is required by all US unis...and sat 2 for the good ones...
toxi
I know that US costs a lot, thankfully I can afford it...

I'm going to take SAT1 exams this year, although the unis require SATII. I'm not sure whether I have to take those too
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Yes, generally Alevels are highly regarded. Though you are able to trade off completed Alevels for Sat II....you still really have to Sat I.
the problem with A levels for sat2 is that you get your results in like summer.....and they have to be in for feb...(they are also only accepted by a few...yale and ucal are the only ones that i know off),....so u will waste a year....but its all good if u are taking a gap year i suppose....
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by toxi)

I'm going to take SAT1 exams this year, although the unis require SATII. I'm not sure whether I have to take those too
Crikey. People complain about 3,000, here, and some colleges will charge 30,000
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by toxi)

what a level subjects are u doing?
toxi
Yeah they're expensive afaik but I'm already an international student so I wanna make sure that I'll get accepted somewhere....
toxi
Pure Maths, computing & statistics...
probably doing mechs next year
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by matouwah)
the problem with A levels for sat2 is that you get your results in like summer.....and they have to be in for feb...(they are also only accepted by a few...yale and ucal are the only ones that i know off),....so u will waste a year....but its all good if u are taking a gap year i suppose....

Yep i should have stated that! I was all set to apply to Yale, had even booked to take my SAT I tests at the American High School in London in October ( was going to apply to Yale)...but I didn't turn up to them..decided i'd rather go to Oxford/LSE/UCL...My zero test score was sent them to though
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by toxi)
Pure Maths, computing & statistics...
probably doing mechs next year
o rite....well what course u planning on doing.....or are u applying as undecided?

u would have no probs doing sat2 math2c...writing test is required by many unis as a sat2 subject.....and a science is always useful..
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Yep i should have stated that! I was all set to apply to Yale, had even booked to take my SAT I tests at the American High School in London in October ( was going to apply to Yale)...but I didn't turn up to them..decided i'd rather go to Oxford/LSE/UCL...My zero test score was sent them to though
SAT and sat2 are really boring to revise for......thats why i did so bad in them....
toxi
I'm going for compsci...
Things work different here btw, I have 1 year in army so I'll be able to apply on time...

Btw how much does MIT cost?
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
SAT and sat2 are really boring to revise for......thats why i did so bad in them....
Well i hadnt planned to do any specific revision for them. I did some online ones and they weren't that testing. I really should have just sat the exam anyway,but I am just silly!
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by toxi)
budget for $42000
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Well i hadnt planned to do any specific revision for them. I did some online ones and they weren't that testing. I really should have just sat the exam anyway,but I am just silly!
oh rite....well u cant really do much revisino for sat1...i did none for the maths...and learned a word list for the english....stupid words that u would rarely ever use that would hardly ammeliorate your english...
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
oh rite....well u cant really do much revisino for sat1...i did none for the maths...and learned a word list for the english....stupid words that u would rarely ever use that would hardly ammeliorate your english...
Tho' if u didnt know the word immediately, usually you it wasnt too trying to guess from the choices given. What US unis did you apply for?
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by toxi)
I'm going for compsci...
Things work different here btw, I have 1 year in army so I'll be able to apply on time...

MIT is very competitive though....iwould recommend at least a 1400 in sat1 ....and all 3 sat2 above 700 or 3A at A level to have a decent chance....than you would also have to have good extra ciricular and good essays.....each university requires different essays....and are just as important as your grades and sat scores...
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Tho' if u didnt know the word immediately, usually you it wasnt too trying to guess from the choices given. What US unis did you apply for?
nyu....university of pennsylvania.....columbia.....mi chigan...and MIT....wont stand a chance at upenn columbia and MIT....hopefully get NYU....and michigan is doubtful, but if i make my essay good for that...maybe i have a good chance (deadline is 1st of feb)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads