Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well I've decided that my current course is a pile of crap and that I want to change courses and university at the end of my first year.

I was stupid and took a rather flimsy course in Computer Games Technology. I've always been hot on programming and have made several games of my own in the past so thought this would be a good idea. Oh how I was wrong!

The course has very little insight into the games related areas it does cover. They don't expand my knowledge in any way compared to what I've learnt by simply playing games. The course is crap! I've decided that as the parts of the course I like the most are the physics, maths and programming that I'm probably better suited to a computer science course.

So I've chosen my course and a few universitys that I'd like to do it at. How do I go about changing? Do I re-apply through UCAS? Is it better to phone the universities that I want to go to and talk to the head of course first?

I'm a little lost on what to do and would appreciate some advice.

ReputationRep:
    Reapply via UCAS. Also, the first year of most courses is supposed to be pretty basic. Make sure you aren't jumping the gun and expecting too much.

ReputationRep:
    Are you still wanting to do Computer Games Technology out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm also transferring to another uni because I don't like the location of the one I'm at (it's a hole). I've contacted some unis that I want to switch to and they told me to apply through UCAS again so that's what I'm doing. It's a hassle but ohhhh well. Though I'm doing sort of a weird thing cuz I'm transferring to the same course, and into the 2nd year... :stupid: Anywho, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the quick replies people!

I've arranged a meeting with my year and course leader at my current university. I get on really well with him and most of my lecturers so I will endevour to keep them on my side.

I'm definately staying on my current course until the end of my first year. I'm not hating my current course, its more that I feel its not the right deal for me.

Once I've talked to my current course leader I'll make some calls to the universities I've decided to apply to. If that goes to plan I'll apply via UCAS.

Thank you everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite sure if you go through ucas or the uni

My boyf and his best mate both left their course after a year and switched uni's and course and both are doing much better this year if you think you'll be happier on another course do it

ReputationRep:
    if he changes course will he have to re-do year one?

or does he go straight into the second year ?

also will he have to pay top-ups?

i was considering this too for same reason

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if that I will be moved onto the other fee system. As I have no increase in my study period (moving from a 4 year course to a 3 year course so finish date is the same) I might be able to just keep going with my current set of loans and grants. I'll have to see when it comes to filling out the forms.

In regards to re-taking the 1st year in my case I will have to as its a different course. Again this doesnt bother me as here in Scotland I was doing a 4 year course and that drops to 3 years down in England. So no extra time lost as it were.

ReputationRep:
    I changed Unis last year (but stayed on the same course) and I applied through ucas.

I'd include your first year experiences in your personal statement to update it a bit, say why you want to change courses etc.

ReputationRep:
    but if you were to leave your course at the the end of the 2005-2006 year, it would mean it's too late to reappy through UCAS for 2006-2007 rite?
    in which case it would be a waste of a year surely?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.