Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'll try keep this brief, I'm currently in my first year at London Met university studying English Language, and I hate it. The course is an embarrasment. I feel like I have nothing in common with anybody, there are only about three other people ON THE COURSE who share my common ground (ie. gone straight from enjoying English at A Level to carrying it on at University). I saw the work my friend is doing at Kings College of London and it's a lot harder, it's more in-depth. Currently I'm scripting a presentation on a washing machine for a Business Communication module. It takes the piss. It's honestly the *****est educational establishment I've ever experienced. At my halls it's full of stuck up pretentious people, one of the better friends I made at my halls has left because he got mugged on the doorstep to the hall flat by a gang in hoodies.

I'm currently at home because I get so sick of being there. I miss my friends, I lost my girlfriend because of moving to London, and I'm starting to hate the city, I'm starting to hate my halls and I'm just pissed off and fed up with it all. I'm currently considering my options, I (clearly) don't want to stay at London Met, but I want to carry on doing English Language, or possibly English Language and Linguistics. Anywhere at a more reputable university. What pisses me off more is that I didn't do as well as I could've at A Level. I got an A in one module and a B in the other module in English, but it was dragged down by the C that I got at AS level. So I ended up at A level with CCD (C- English, C- ICT, D- Music). I don't know whether to try and get into another Uni before 2006 entry, or whether to live out this year at London Met and start again in Sept. 2006. Pretty stuck and fed up, anybody else in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK, standard offers for English are pretty high. Have you considered reapplying somewhere else while resitting some A level modules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    AFAIK, standard offers for English are pretty high. Have you considered reapplying somewhere else while resitting some A level modules?
    I haven't no, I didn't think that would be possible this year as all my accomodation is paid for etc. I just want to get out of London really, find a Uni that will accept me on an English Course.

You will have a hard time getting onto a good English course with CCD, but there is optimism and you should just do a proper UCAS search for English Language and Linguistics and go from there.
    Look at all the universities' websites, note down their typical offers/requirements and possibly think about resitting your A-levels.

London is not for everyone and a lot of people do not like London Met. I suggest you don't stay, if you don't want to.
    Go home, get yourself sorted and you can start over next year. Nothing bad

Oh, and if you have a hard time getting on a course, you could consider the Open University (www.open.ac.uk). They are ranked very highly among students and even though it is distance learning, I know a lot of people enjoy it.

You can reapply while still at uni, or you could withdraw first.

ReputationRep:
    With those grades, and especially with those subject combinations, I think you're struggling, I really do. You'd probably need to resit A-levels if you want to get into a better university. There are a lot of universities in the London area, have you looked at for instance the University of Westminster? For science at least they have an acceptance level of two C's, I'm not sure about their language qualifications but if it's similiar, it'd probably the best level of place you'd make with those particular A-level grades.

ReputationRep:
    English Language has lower offers than for Literature, as a general rule. It's also nowhere near as competitive for a place.

I also found that my offer for English Language & Linguistics at Sussex was lower than my friend's straight English Language offer at the same university. So if you're worried about grades, perhaps the joint honours course might be a good one to apply for. I'm loving the course, if it helps

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.