The Student Room Group

Geophysics at Imperial or Physics at KCL?

Right, Ive been offered a place at KCL to study Physics MSc.
At the same time Ive been rejected by Imperial for same program but they offered me an interview for Geophysics instead.

GeoPhy - dont even know much about it, not sure if I will like it at all.

I love both Kings and Imperial, however Imperial has a better reputation for science related subjects.

So:

-- If I do get into Imperial to study GeoPhy, could I switch to just Physics in my 2nd/3rd year?

-- Which uni and course would you go for in this situation?

Thank you :rolleyes:
Reply 1
Original post by Boomka
Right, Ive been offered a place at KCL to study Physics MSc.
At the same time Ive been rejected by Imperial for same program but they offered me an interview for Geophysics instead.

GeoPhy - dont even know much about it, not sure if I will like it at all.

I love both Kings and Imperial, however Imperial has a better reputation for science related subjects.

So:

-- If I do get into Imperial to study GeoPhy, could I switch to just Physics in my 2nd/3rd year?

-- Which uni and course would you go for in this situation?

Thank you :rolleyes:

Personally I would go for the course I think I would enjoy most. If you would prefer to do Physics, then go to Kings. Given how popular physics at Imperial is, I doubt you would be able to transfer across. However, if you are still very keen on going to Imperial, maybe it is worth finding out a little more about what Geophysics involves. You may find that you do actually like a lot of what it involves.
Reply 2
Original post by Zottula
Personally I would go for the course I think I would enjoy most. If you would prefer to do Physics, then go to Kings. Given how popular physics at Imperial is, I doubt you would be able to transfer across. However, if you are still very keen on going to Imperial, maybe it is worth finding out a little more about what Geophysics involves. You may find that you do actually like a lot of what it involves.

Haha you got Geology unconditional from Imperial...:smile:
They sent me the GeoPhy syllabus so currently Im thinking about it....

Tbh what really worries me is the employability ofter GeoPhy degree.

Reply 3
Original post by Boomka
Haha you got Geology unconditional from Imperial...:smile:
They sent me the GeoPhy syllabus so currently Im thinking about it....

Tbh what really worries me is the employability ofter GeoPhy degree.

Employability after a geophy degree is certainly nothing to worry about! Geoscientists are in high demand.
Reply 4
hi to all
Zottula r u studing @ imperial college in petroleum geophysics coz i want to know the job prospects after that me as well
Reply 5
Don't expect to find anything research-related with a Physics BsC only. Head out to www.physicsforums.com for more relevant information concerning employment outside science for Physicists.

Edit:

twofish-quant is the man to talk to if finance is what you're interested in after.
Reply 6
In exactly the same boat as you. Are you going on Wednesday? I am trying to choose between physics at Birmingham or Physics at Surrey or this...
Reply 7
Also, in the attached pdf on the geophys interview email it says Imperial do not usually allow transfer between courses, and it says you shouldn't see this as an alternate route into physics... :frown:
I have a friend who may study geophysics at Imperial. :P
Geophysics will be pretty much the same, you will have to study the main physics course just with Geo/envrio modules, much like and Astrophysics or a Med Physics course. That said Imperial is better, they don't do soft subjects and all their courses are hard.

For employability, Imperial will be better. People outside physics are going to have more respect for Imperial, and those within physics know better than to dismiss it as a doss course.

In all honesty, physics is ****, trust me, I study it:frown:
Reply 10
Original post by doggyfizzel
Geophysics will be pretty much the same, you will have to study the main physics course just with Geo/envrio modules, much like and Astrophysics or a Med Physics course. That said Imperial is better, they don't do soft subjects and all their courses are hard.

For employability, Imperial will be better. People outside physics are going to have more respect for Imperial, and those within physics know better than to dismiss it as a doss course.

In all honesty, physics is ****, trust me, I study it:frown:

What's not to like about Physics at UCL? : P
Original post by Madrigal
What's not to like about Physics at UCL? : P
Its not UCL, it just the fact degree level physics is nothing like A-Level. It just endless derivation of stuff that only the most passionate physicist would care about. It very hard to have any passion for about 80% of the content in the course, but you need to know it.
Reply 12
Its not UCL, it just the fact degree level physics is nothing like A-Level. It just endless derivation of stuff that only the most passionate physicist would care about. It very hard to have any passion for about 80% of the content in the course, but you need to know it.

Judging from that, the same could be said about Physics everywhere else, then? If you knew about this beforehand, would still have opted for studying Physics?
Judging from that, the same could be said about Physics everywhere else, then? If you knew about this beforehand, would still have opted for studying Physics?
Yeah, all physics course will have the same core content, you need to know the basics before going on to the advanced stuff. I probably wouldn't have, but I would have still gone for a similar degree like engineering or something, same kind of workload and style.
Reply 14
Yeah, all physics course will have the same core content, you need to know the basics before going on to the advanced stuff. I probably wouldn't have, but I would have still gone for a similar degree like engineering or something, same kind of workload and style.

Thanks for the heads up, mate. I probably will end up in the exact same position in a few years; I don't see myself doing anything else.
I would choose the course I preferred tbh. I didn't first time round and look I have applied again after completing the first degree.
Reply 16
Original post by Seham
I would choose the course I preferred tbh. I didn't first time round and look I have applied again after completing the first degree.

What did you study before Medicine?
What did you study before Medicine?

Chemistry at Imperial :smile:
Anyone have any idea how much support Geophysics at Imperial has? Do they have answers to their exam papers (Physics doesn't really there) or if it's easier to get a 1st in Geophysics than a 1st in Physics at Imperial?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending