Macbeth Courseowkr! Need desperate help! Watch

This discussion is closed.
pudgypurple
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
plum courier new For my English Coursework, we have been asked to answer this <BR><BR>Is it fair for Malcolm to dismiss Macbeth as nothing more than a “dead butcher”?<BR><BR>So far, I have that he was persuaded by his wife to murder King Duncan so you sympthathise with him, but later on when he murders Macduff's wife and children and Banquo you start to less sympthathise with him. What else could i say? Because i have done just over 1 page and we have to do more than 5 and i'm completely stuck please help! This was meant to be in like 2 weeks ago and the deadline is tomorrow!. Thanks xxx
ddan
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by pudgypurple)
plum courier new For my English Coursework, we have been asked to answer this <BR><BR>Is it fair for Malcolm to dismiss Macbeth as nothing more than a “dead butcher”?<BR><BR>So far, I have that he was persuaded by his wife to murder King Duncan so you sympthathise with him, but later on when he murders Macduff's wife and children and Banquo you start to less sympthathise with him. What else could i say? Because i have done just over 1 page and we have to do more than 5 and i'm completely stuck please help! This was meant to be in like 2 weeks ago and the deadline is tomorrow!. Thanks xxx
i did macbeth last year for my exam wat do u need help on and ill try my best 2 help u
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, talk about the manipulation of Lady Macbeth to make him kill Duncan -> lots of anyasis of the language she uses. Also talk about how she tries to make her self a man ('unsex me her').

Talk about Macbeths ambition also playing a part - 'prick the sides of my intent'

The witches influence on him -> They forced his ambition, was the prophecy a fate that had to happen?

Banquo / Macduffs murder, again show the witches influence particularly for Macduffs murder (no man of woman born), you must analysis the difference in language and tone he uses, and also the more limited work of Lady Macbeth.

Talk about his remorse (banqos ghost), also at the end how he goes out at the end - as the in his armour (return of the old Macbeth?)

Key issues are:

NOT A BUTCHER - Duncan (His intial character description, Lady Macbeth manipulation, Tragic Flaw - Ambition, Witches, his MASSES OF REMORSE after Duncan (Will all great neptunes oceans not wash the blood from my hands), Banqo -> remorse after that, inablity to do it himself, he had a reason to. Macduff -> Witches, the ending he goes back to a noble(ish) Macbeth.

BUTCHER - he murders people, he understands what he is doing, he kills people needlessly, Lady Macbeth isn't always involved, uses bloody methods, secretive (use of murderers) etc etc.
pudgypurple
(Original post by ddan)
i did macbeth last year for my exam wat do u need help on and ill try my best 2 help u
Hey I need help on this question, Is it fair for Malcolm to dismiss Macbeth as nothing more than a "dead butcher" ?. I'm really stuck on it. Thanks, please help!.
pudgypurple
(Original post by corey)
Well, talk about the manipulation of Lady Macbeth to make him kill Duncan -> lots of anyasis of the language she uses. Also talk about how she tries to make her self a man ('unsex me her').

Talk about Macbeths ambition also playing a part - 'prick the sides of my intent'

The witches influence on him -> They forced his ambition, was the prophecy a fate that had to happen?

Banquo / Macduffs murder, again show the witches influence particularly for Macduffs murder (no man of woman born), you must analysis the difference in language and tone he uses, and also the more limited work of Lady Macbeth.

Talk about his remorse (banqos ghost), also at the end how he goes out at the end - as the in his armour (return of the old Macbeth?)

Key issues are:

NOT A BUTCHER - Duncan (His intial character description, Lady Macbeth manipulation, Tragic Flaw - Ambition, Witches, his MASSES OF REMORSE after Duncan (Will all great neptunes oceans not wash the blood from my hands), Banqo -> remorse after that, inablity to do it himself, he had a reason to. Macduff -> Witches, the ending he goes back to a noble(ish) Macbeth.

BUTCHER - he murders people, he understands what he is doing, he kills people needlessly, Lady Macbeth isn't always involved, uses bloody methods, secretive (use of murderers) etc etc.

omg thats such a big help. Thank you very much =)
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
omg thats such a big help. Thank you very much =)
Make sure you analyse every quote you use, and make sure you point out ambiguity within them (2 different ways of being read).

For instance,

'Will all great neptunes oceans not wash this blood from my hands'

Positive -> Wants to have no killed Duncan
Negative -> Maybe just doesnt want to be caught.

I did this over a year ago though, so I am slightly rusty.
Custard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Talk about the blood lust macbeth is feeling and the fact that he has to kill every one else as the fly off from the first murder. Lady Macbeth had blind ambition and will stop at nothing just as macbeth. Speak about the fact that without the three witches or lady macbeth (one without the other) the murders would not come about. He is weak against women, as they call him cowards which is something he never wants to be seen as.
But I've only covered the first couple of scenes, so what do i know?
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Custard)
Talk about the blood lust macbeth is feeling and the fact that he has to kill every one else as the fly off from the first murder. Lady Macbeth had blind ambition and will stop at nothing just as macbeth. Speak about the fact that without the three witches or lady macbeth (one without the other) the murders would not come about. He is weak against women, as they call him cowards which is something he never wants to be seen as.
But I've only covered the first couple of scenes, so what do i know?
Well...you havent even met Macbeth then
Custard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Well...you havent even met Macbeth then
Is that a touch of innuendo
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (228)
61.29%
Yes- I don't like it (16)
4.3%
No- I want it (103)
27.69%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.72%

Watched Threads