inspiredideas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
my school makes us do BTEC Business as well as OCR nationals ICT are they respected by universities??
air-ninety-one
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
well ive got an offer from leeds, kent and sussex for physics/maths and im doing a btec. so im sure they aren't completely dis-regarded by uni's.
ellakrystina
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well my BTEC got me into the School of Law at the University of Manchester

BTECs aren't too worthless, it seems.
inspiredideas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
at GCSE or A level??
Lozza_00
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not worthless but not as valuable as GCSEs.
dirtydave91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
BTECs aren't too bad.... But never, ever take any of the Diplomas. Worst mistake of my life thus far...
Nayred
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It depends. Traditional courses generally hold more value. However, the soar of BTEC students mean that more colleges and universities have to give everybody equal opportunities. Priority can be given to BTEC students if their grades exceed an A-level student's. For example if you studied BTEC Business and got a Distinction and an A-level student studied Business and got a C you'd probably get given priority. However if an A-level student got an A at A-level then they'd probably get given priority. Some BTECs can be quite useful, for example BTEC IT. You take a more practical approach rather than a theoretical one. This means that you may be more experienced with computers than a student who studied ICT at A-level. Employers may like this.
Smelly Ellie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The GCSE equivalent ones are not very highly regarded, but the A level ones are definitely not worthless.
Rahul.S
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Extricated aka shu is doing these.....his got an offer from oxford :/
Haly
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know someone who did them and got rejected from nottingham. Then nottingham said the reason she was rejected was because of her gcse's (she did a btec instead of choosing subjects you get a gcse for, so she also had fewer gcse's than everyone else).

But it also depends on what uni's your aiming for, some unis may value it, some may not (apparently nottingham do not), but i agree with Lozza_00.
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rahul.S)
Extricated aka shu is doing these.....his got an offer from oxford :/
RIP Extricated and SHU.

ellakrystina
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dirtydave91)
BTECs aren't too bad.... But never, ever take any of the Diplomas. Worst mistake of my life thus far...
Urm, why? What happened?
Crazy Paving
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Some uni's accept them, yes. Put it this way: a BTEC is better than no qualification at all.
jb9191
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did a BTEC National Diploma for IT Practitioners - 2 year course - and now I'm going to Aber in September to do Computer Science. I was offered an unconditional as well.

Equivalent Chart - BTEC to A-Level to UCAS points

DDD - AAA - 360
DDM - AAB - 320
DMM - ABB - 280
MMM - BBB - 240
MMP - BBC
MPP - BCC
PPP - CCC

A Distinction at BTEC is worth 120 UCAS Points, a Merit is worth 80 UCAS Points

You can also ask to do Maths A level on the side and do the exam, as some uni's require A Level Maths.

In my opinion they are not worthless at all. I only wanted to study strictly IT related topics etc. whereas at A Level I would have had to take other subjects which were of no interest to me.
dirtydave91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ellakrystina)
Urm, why? What happened?
Well... the lecturers didn't know how to teach the course, so it resulted in two failed units when I thought I'd passed. This resulted in not being able to get into uni last year, but luckily Derby have been kind enough to give me a place this year, but probably on my enthusiasm for the subject, rather than the grades.
ellakrystina
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dirtydave91)
Well... the lecturers didn't know how to teach the course, so it resulted in two failed units when I thought I'd passed. This resulted in not being able to get into uni last year, but luckily Derby have been kind enough to give me a place this year, but probably on my enthusiasm for the subject, rather than the grades.
Ah, that's a shame. What subject did you study?
dirtydave91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did ICT as an Advanced Diploma.... More Business than IT though...
Jez RR
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My BTEC Higher National Diploma got me onto a Masters at UEA, without having to do a BA first.

So no, not worthless.
dirtydave91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jez RR)
My BTEC Higher National Diploma got me onto a Masters at UEA, without having to do a BA first.

So no, not worthless.
How the **** did you manage that? :O
Wookie42
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends on the subject really. I know for a fact that many universities will regard a BTEC in ICT more highly than the A level equivalent though for example.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (477)
59.4%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.35%
No- I want it (230)
28.64%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.6%

Watched Threads