Extricated
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tehforum)
RIP Extricated and SHU.

Look...I know i've got a big nose but something else is big and ur chick noes..'

Anyways...im gone..time is money but ur going anticlockwise..
Jez RR
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dirtydave91)
How the **** did you manage that? :O
Relevant work experience probably swung it. I used to run an aid project in Zimbabwe, and have worked as a journalist and editor. I applied initially for a BA in International Development, but after a couple of weeks it became pretty clear that I was a fair way ahead of what was being taught.

My HND was in Media. When I heard they did an MA here in Media and International Development combined, I applied to switch. Because an HND is a level 5 qualification I am technically a graduate already, so they accepted me.

I've not had any problems keeping up with the workload on the MA. It's definitely a step up from the HND, but I'm very glad I took the plunge and applied for it.
jb9191
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Wookie42)
Depends on the subject really. I know for a fact that many universities will regard a BTEC in ICT more highly than the A level equivalent though for example.
I was told this by my 5 university choices plus a few further up the table as I asked before I started my BTEC. I finished it in 2009.
Bubbles2010
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey, i'm kinda wondering the same thing...
my step bros in y9 now, and he's choosing his GCSE options...
his school are making him do a "portfolio" pathway (so doing BTEC instead of GCSEs).
His english is really poor, and he's not doing eng. GCSE. The teachers arent sure whether he shud do GCSE maths either

His subjects will be: english equivalent, maths equivalent, BTEC ICT, BTEC business, and he really wants to do triple science (but teachers may not let him, as he only got 5b in his progress grades...)

so basically, wud he stand any chance in sixthform..? or uni..
really really worried
dirtydave91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jez RR)
Relevant work experience probably swung it. I used to run an aid project in Zimbabwe, and have worked as a journalist and editor. I applied initially for a BA in International Development, but after a couple of weeks it became pretty clear that I was a fair way ahead of what was being taught.

My HND was in Media. When I heard they did an MA here in Media and International Development combined, I applied to switch. Because an HND is a level 5 qualification I am technically a graduate already, so they accepted me.

I've not had any problems keeping up with the workload on the MA. It's definitely a step up from the HND, but I'm very glad I took the plunge and applied for it.
Fair do's then I guess Couldn't dream of being able to put anything like that on my CV xD
multiplexing-gamer
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
I think so, soon there will be new qualifications and BTEC's will be worthless. Stick to the old GCSE's. Also they dont care how many GCSE's you have (i.e you get like 50 gcse's for btec performing arts ¬¬)
rleungz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did a BTEC in IT and went onto study Computer Science at Newcastle Uni. Now I'm currently on placement year in London.

BTEC worthless, nah but its up to you to make it happen...
Kenny_uk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rleungz)
I did a BTEC in IT and went onto study Computer Science at Newcastle Uni. Now I'm currently on placement year in London.

BTEC worthless, nah but its up to you to make it happen...
See I'm just finishing mine and I've already got offers to study Digital & computer forensics around the country, so I'd have to agree
MonsoonFlower
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by inspiredideas)
my school makes us do BTEC Business as well as OCR nationals ICT are they respected by universities??
In answering your question in this thread, BTECs are worth something, how did you think I'm getting conditional offers without A Levels (same thing with my classmates, they're doing BTECs too and they are getting offers)?

BTECs are respectable qualifications and are respected by many universities but obviously not the top ones like Oxford and Cambridge. I mean if you look at my signature you would know what I mean...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why? I'm doing a-level ICT. Did I make a mistake?
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Many Universities are now looking at BTECs more respectively than they used to before. Seeing that its been almost 6 years since this thread started, does anyone mind telling me if they got to study their desired subject at university while doing a Btec?
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's my son's 20th birthday tomorrow. He studied the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care and is now in the last year of the HND. The work placement experience is great. He has worked on placement as a Support Worker, working with alcoholics and drug addicts at an addictions unit; taking part in group therapy sessions including Drumming Therapy and listening in to and observing Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. He saw people in there at their very worst and going through hell and was allowed to chat to them and find out their stories and situations. [A real learning curve for a 17 year old]. He did a placement in an Irish language nursery for 3 and 4 year old children, and now has over 200 hours experience in a primary school, working with p2, p3 and p5 children. He helps them with their literacy and numeracy, art projects, he has learned how to display their work on the walls and has marked their classwork sometimes. All of his placements have been for 12 hours a week. He hasn't done a paid job yet, but is building up a nice varied CV for himself. If he would have studied A levels, he would have had none of this to write about.
username3016746
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dirtydave91)
BTECs aren't too bad.... But never, ever take any of the Diplomas. Worst mistake of my life thus far...
Why

Posted from TSR Mobile
Evelyn34
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I did a Btec course and got into university with it. Baring in mind I finished secondary school in 2003, finished Btec course in 2007 and got into university (started sept 2007) with it so I hardly think it is worthless
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (330)
60.22%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.29%
No- I want it (150)
27.37%
No- I don't want it (39)
7.12%

Watched Threads