Peterhouse -The real deal? Watch

This discussion is closed.
ladyvice
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lola14)
I'd be quite interested to know what the real deal with Peterhouse is. Here are some questions I have and I'd like to hear the truth about the college rather than the myths.

1)One hears of its tag as the 'gay college' but is it in reality more than anywhere else at Cambridge?
2)It comes towards the bottom of the Tomkins table but is that really an issue when it comes to its reputation?
3)Do people automatically assume that if you are at Peterhouse then you must have been pooled there like they often do with the girls' colleges?
4) How rich is the college?
5) Does it excell at anything ie like Catz is the best sports college etc?
6) Is it snobby or excessively right-wing. By excessively I mean the breeding ground for the Young Conservatives
7) What is the accomodation like?
8) Is it a party college?

Thanks!!
In my (limited?) experience of Cambridge, Peterhouse students have been amongst the worst I have met. They are arrogant, elitist and VERY conservative. Of course, such sweeping generalisations are not always useful, but if you are a sensible and chilled kind of person, please don't go there. It is one of onlym 3 colleges in which I have experienced overt racism. It is one of the few colleges that I never go to. It is one of the few colleges that most of my friends agree is pretty daunting and elitist. In addition, they don't even have the kudos of being great academically, which many of the 'traditional' colleges do. Also, the may ball there is crap!
What are your interests? What sort of people do you like? what kind of worker are you? really hard working? not so much? Will you need a rich college for bursaries etc?
There are so many oxbridge people on this site, it would seem, that if you do reply, one of us will no doubt have better suggestions!
mwah xxxxxxx
lucerna
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
I think it is fairly rich and the accomodation is some of the best in cambridge.
Really? My uncle was there...and on the reunion he said that the accommodation was pretty darn poor. Hmm...

ETA - I never asked him about the atmosphere there. Though he *himself* isn't elitist or anything etc, and my grandparents aren't very well off...Not sure about academics - though he spent most of his university time in a band and hence came out with a 3rd (oops)
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lucerna)
Really? My uncle was there...and on the reunion he said that the accommodation was pretty darn poor. Hmm...

ETA - I never asked him about the atmosphere there. Though he *himself* isn't elitist or anything etc, and my grandparents aren't very well off...Not sure about academics - though he spent most of his university time in a band and hence came out with a 3rd (oops)

Well when I visited the college I was told that the accomodation was really good, although I didn't actually see it except through one of the windows. I don't know if it's rich or not- that bit was a guess.

Have you checked UCAS yet? The grades should be up now. (not that it matters as you already know what they are).

I think accomodation at Emma is allocated according to a ballot system. Whilst most first years end up in South Court (the rooms are pretty basic), I hear that East Court rooms are nice. The rooms in North Court are separated from the college by a subway so you may feel a little cut off.
lucerna
Report 14 years ago
Well when I visited the college I was told that the accomodation was really good, although I didn't actually see it except through one of the windows. I don't know if it's rich or not- that bit was a guess.

Have you checked UCAS yet? The grades should be up now. (not that it matters as you already know what they are).

I think accomodation at Emma is allocated according to a ballot system. Whilst most first years end up in South Court (the rooms are pretty basic), I hear that East Court rooms are nice. The rooms in North Court are separated from the college by a subway so you may feel a little cut off.
Yeah, shame they didn't change their mind bout spanish.

From what I've heard, the ballot system is only used for the second and third year rooms...I didn't know that East Court was for first years. I'm not sure which to go for when we eventually get a choice - north court looks a little nicer (just as the building's older) but I agree about the isolation issue. I hope we get clarification when the time comes...
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, shame they didn't change their mind bout spanish.

From what I've heard, the ballot system is only used for the second and third year rooms...I didn't know that East Court was for first years. I'm not sure which to go for when we eventually get a choice - north court looks a little nicer (just as the building's older) but I agree about the isolation issue. I hope we get clarification when the time comes...

Well we get sent a freshers pack in March so that should help to clear a few things up. I think perhaps all first years are in South Court.

Don't worry about the offer not including Spanish. You'll get the grades anyway.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ladyvice)
In my (limited?) experience of Cambridge, Peterhouse students have been amongst the worst I have met. They are arrogant, elitist and VERY conservative. Of course, such sweeping generalisations are not always useful, but if you are a sensible and chilled kind of person, please don't go there. It is one of onlym 3 colleges in which I have experienced overt racism. It is one of the few colleges that I never go to. It is one of the few colleges that most of my friends agree is pretty daunting and elitist. In addition, they don't even have the kudos of being great academically, which many of the 'traditional' colleges do. Also, the may ball there is crap!
It's very bizarre that two of us could have had such different experiences of the same place! My Peterhouse friends are lovely, as are most of the other randoms I've met there, and I haven't come across any overt conservatism or anything like that. I wouldn't know about the racism thing, and it's a huge shame if that did happen, but you get idiots everywhere, sadly. I'm not sure about the accommodation really - don't think it's as nice as Clare's 1st year blocks, but it looked ok from the outside.
lucerna
Report 14 years ago
Well we get sent a freshers pack in March so that should help to clear a few things up. I think perhaps all first years are in South Court.

Don't worry about the offer not including Spanish. You'll get the grades anyway.
Heh, thanks I really *hope* so but am doubtful ...I've had no motivation recently.

yeah, hopefully that pack will be useful - shame we can't ask undergrads using the forum anymore *sigh*

Hey - I take that back, forum IS working again - you have to re-register. It's a bit smaller now though, but still there
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Heh, thanks I really *hope* so but am doubtful ...I've had no motivation recently.

yeah, hopefully that pack will be useful - shame we can't ask undergrads using the forum anymore *sigh*

Hey - I take that back, forum IS working again - you have to re-register. It's a bit smaller now though, but still there

Excellent. I'll reregister right away.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
The plot thickens....

Is that who Tom Sharpe actually was, or is it his ghostwriter, or is it just a Corpus rumour?

Why is it that whatever I say, you're always there to tell me I'm wrong, J?
I don't know anything about ghost writers, just that the author was Corpus college porter and wrote it about his experiences at corpus and (mainly) peterhouse.
Youll find most porters have portered at another college at some point. Cept kings, they avoid that place
J
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
I don't know anything about ghost writers, just that the author was Corpus college porter and wrote it about his experiences at corpus and (mainly) peterhouse.
Youll find most porters have portered at another college at some point. Cept kings, they avoid that place
J
Oh right. Can't remember which untrustworthy individual gave me my information, so can't hunt them down, but once again I am proved wrong.
SiennaMorrow
Report 14 years ago
God that sounds awful and I've applied there
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SiennaMorrow)
God that sounds awful and I've applied there
What, Peterhouse? Then why haven't you heard from them? Are you an international or something?
SiennaMorrow
Report 14 years ago
What, Peterhouse? Then why haven't you heard from them? Are you an international or something?

No I have an offer from them but the idea that I willingly applied there is what I am stuck on
Lola14
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by ladyvice)
What are your interests? What sort of people do you like? what kind of worker are you? really hard working? not so much? Will you need a rich college for bursaries etc?
There are so many oxbridge people on this site, it would seem, that if you do reply, one of us will no doubt have better suggestions!
mwah xxxxxxx
Oh for crap's sake -I have already accepted their offer and yes if the college is institutionally racist it would be a huge problem. I honestly didn't think that racism would be widespread at Cambridge because it is so ethnically diverse. Also the Tory thing would be another problem as I am a staunch liberal leftie as are most of my friends. When I visited it the people seemed okay but then again it wasn't an open day. On the plus side I am not a hard worker -lazy as hell in fact so maybe there will be less pressure at Peterhouse. As I have accepted the offer I am hoping that you make friends as much outside your college as you do within it -is that quite common? Also I won't particularly need a rich college which is unfortunate as thus far it seems to be Peterhouse's only strength . Are there no pro-Peterhouse people on this site (and no the guy with the "Vote Tory" signature is not included in that -sorry)? Maybe everything is what you make of it

Thanks for the replies
Lola

P.S. Was one of the other racist colleges Caius by any chance?

P.P.S. Michael Howard -WHAT was I thinking???????????????
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you'll look at what I've written, I'm not exactly anti-the place. The people I've met there are just as normal as everywhere else, and some of my best friends among the medics. I understand that the university Conservative Association is fairly strong there (think the current president is at Peterhouse) but they're not gonna make you sign up or anything!

Oh, and my friend from there has just been elected First Year Officer, so he'll be looking after you lot next year! I'd put yourself on a liver transplant list just in anticipation...
KHL
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
from personal experience, Caius isn't racist.

in fact, a large number of internationals do come to Caius... i don't know why, but we've got 6 international medics in the first year, and a few more who are british-born, but of other roots.

some accuse others of racism simply because they feel left out. then again, if one does not make the first move to approach and be friendly, how can one blame someone else for not doing the same?
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
P.S. Was one of the other racist colleges Caius by any chance?
I've met a fair few caius students and they don't seem at racist, they do seem to be predominantly posh/upper middle class though. Last time I went to formal there, the Black and Asian Caucus were also having formal there.... if that means anything at all!

P.P.S. Michael Howard -WHAT was I thinking???????????????
Really don't know! Maybe you should have done a little more research beforehand!!

I'm sure there'll be some 'normal' people there too!

Alaric.
ladyvice
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
some accuse others of racism simply because they feel left out. then again, if one does not make the first move to approach and be friendly, how can one blame someone else for not doing the same?[/QUOTE]

Excuse me?? This is one of the biggest piles of **** I have read. How dare you make such a ridiculous comment....I do not accuse of racism because i feel left out, anfd it's a stupuid comment to make. As a black student, I have a right to say where and when I experienced racism and to be hopnets about that in order to hewlp people on this site. I would love to be able to say that it didn't exist in Cambridge, but this would be a bare faced lie. I am not amongst these people you mention who don't make an effort then complian about someone not doing the same. I think the point is that certain places are less friendly towards blacks, which in turn does not inspire a person to have the confidence to seek these people out. Of course in many ways this is self perpetuauting.

I am a very populare person and have many white friends. In fact, most of my freinds are white, at home in London and in Cambridge. before comingnto Cambridge, I had never experienced any racism, but I had experienced unfriendly people. So I hope this will lend credence to my claim that I am not simply bitter at being left out. I am not left out. The vasyt majority of people at Cambridge are open minded, lovely, interested, interesting and quirky. I do not deny this. in fact, I actively encourage peopel to go, because I am having the time of my life.

However, yes there is racism, and yes, in my experience and in the experience of several black students (which would account for 10% of them there!), Peterhouse is not a liberal college. I have been stopped there several times and asked for my college ID, when i have been with other students. Why assume that I am the only one who is not a member of the University? Little things like this really leave a bitter taste. I hate having to talk about racism, because i love integration and multi-culturalism...however, i won't let my ideals cloud my judgement of reality. If anyone is intersted, I will happily list here the 'racist' experiences I have had.

Also, a white person can hardly make accurate comments about racism, with all due respect. I mean, most racism is not overt, and of course the lovely people on this site will eb upset by my claims...however, as a white person, a racist person will not appear racist, uinless they make obvious comments. The racism in Cambridge is pervasive and it sometimes takes on odd forms.

In any case, I would like to stress the point that I love Cambridge, but alos assert my right to tell it how it is.
ladyvice
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Racism isn't as simple as someone saying they hate blacks. It isn't always obvious. In many cases, a racist has otherwise liberal views. In the same way that some people don't like homosexuals, but are perfectly able to be open minded and sensitive about other issues. Racism is not an indictment of evil, and it is not necessarily something that is all consuming, which is why it ism often hard to spot, unless you are on the recieving end.
Lola14
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Oh, and my friend from there has just been elected First Year Officer, so he'll be looking after you lot next year! I'd put yourself on a liver transplant list just in anticipation...
I don't drink unfortunately (or fortunately) -so no need for a liver transplant -that's why I got an organ donar card. I can only hope that my liver will someday be of use to some drunk ... Damn it hang on ... how do retract consent? Anyway is it possible to find non drunk people/drinkers at university because I managed at school -or am I just destined to be a sober loner October onwards?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (75)
19.13%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (160)
40.82%
Nope, not that interesting (157)
40.05%

Watched Threads